Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

WTF is Folding@Home then ??? <-- Explained

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Bigdavegrrr

Bigdavegrrr

IS BACK! MWHAHAHAHA!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
Ok guys,

Ive heard about Folding@Home so many times from lots of different places but Im still not completely sure what it is, how it works and what the rewards are for doing it etc. etc.

Can someone please fill me in?

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
The easiest way to explain it is to quote the Stanford University site:

"What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved."

The rewards for folder are the satisfaction of helping medical research plus points are awarded for each Work Unit you complete.

The accumulation of points has become very competative and if you join a team (we are team No 44831), your points go towards the team score.

ian.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
The Folding client is set to use 100% of spare clock cycles.

What this means is that if you have programs running that use 50% of the CPU's capacity, the Folding client will use the remaining capacity. This means that you CPU is always at 100% load.

The client is set by default to have the lowest priority on the CPU's time, this stops it interfering with any apps or programs you run.

I keep mine Folding when playing games such as CS:S and BF2 with no noticable effect on the game, but the folding client runs slower.

The only problem could be RAM. If you have a dual or quad core and run the SMP client it can use upto 500MB of memory. If you only have 1GB this could cause the system to slow down if you're gaming or using memory intensive programs.

I find that with a quad core and 2GB RAM I can leave it Folding with no impact on anything els I do on the PC :)

Give it a go, but don't forget to join Team WCUK! Number 44831.

Any questions or problems, just give us a shout on here or MSN!

ian.jpg

bustamove

bustamove

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
Ok i have f@h running how do i join team wcuk? btw ianf i play bf2 whats you id?

Forget that i think i done it....
Posted Image
Posted Image

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Hi busta,

to join the team you need to go into the setup/config option on the client and inout your username ant the team number, 44831.

On BF2 I'm Uncle_Fluff.

Ian.

ian.jpg

bustamove

bustamove

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Hi busta,

to join the team you need to go into the setup/config option on the client and inout your username ant the team number, 44831.

On BF2 I'm Uncle_Fluff.

Ian.

Uncle_Fluff, i challenge you to a duel, choose your map and choose your weapon, watch your back im looking for ya.

Im bustamove44 btw, poor stats but im getting there. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
You play BF2142?

ian.jpg

bustamove

bustamove

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

You play BF2142?

no m8, its not the same, i got it but dont play it. i prefer bf2.

<<thinks this is gonna get moved to the gaming thread]
Posted Image
Posted Image

G

G

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
i joined the team guys, on my PentiumD at work at the mo though, so its sloooooooooow
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Q6600 @ 3.4ghz
4 x 2gig Corsair dominator DDR2-8500
XFX 780SLI XXX MOBO
XFX 9800GT 512MB GPU
Zalman 1000w modular heatpipe cooled PSU
Razer Deathadder
22" samsung syncmaster

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts
i joined too. i'm yet to see my CPU hit 100% though :s

mark.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Welcome to the Folding team.

If your CPU isn't hitting 100% it is probably due to using the single threaded client on a multi core CPU.

If you have a good dual core or a quad core, then the best Folding client to use is the SMP client (this has 4 threads). This is still a beta client and can be slightly trickier to set up.

The other alternative is to run more than one of the basic client by running from their own individually named folders and ensure that each is given a different "machine ID" when configured.

ian.jpg

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

The other alternative is to run more than one of the basic client by running from their own individually named folders and ensure that each is given a different "machine ID" when configured.

Also, I find it helps to manually assign the core affinity in task manager to each fah process.

No need to do this if you're running a gpu client tho.

And Ian, stop shooting me on LOG or I WILL overtake you. :P

Edited by OneEyeUK, 16 January 2009 - 11:45 AM.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts
hehe, thanks guys. i shall take a looksie and see if i can get it working :D

mark.jpg

biohazard

biohazard

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
i will once i get watercooling up and running , the ati card gets to hot to trust it running flat out atm (4870x2) once its got luverly water then i can leave it feeling safe

JJ86

JJ86

• Members
  • 12 posts
i've joined the team :), wondered what the F@H was that kept trying to install....

nafljhy

nafljhy

• Members
  • 21 posts
dropping by from OCN to say hello to my fellow folders! :D

keep up the good work everyone! :thumb:

Edited by nafljhy, 18 April 2009 - 05:15 PM.

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
ok still after reading that, i still have no idea what increasing our cpu's to 100% will help them fight diseases?

nafljhy

nafljhy

• Members
  • 21 posts
in a nut shell.. your GPU or CPU simulates the folding of proteins. by this simulation, it allows researchers understand the process better. since they will understand the process that much more, they can figure out ways to prevent the misfold that causes the disease from happening.

Edited by nafljhy, 19 April 2009 - 02:23 AM.

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
<insert smilie for "huh">

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members