Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Powder Coating over Filler

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
If your spaying yourself, normal body filler is Win there :)

EvilNeverDies

EvilNeverDies

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Well I used aluminium flake stuff, its in the mod log
should mean the CNC machine should handle it set up for aluminium when the dragons cut out
Posted Image

almighty15

almighty15

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Why dont you just get someone to whack some alu tig weld into the holes then sand and smooth them over?

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Just bought some of this to try out on my alloys, will report back once we've tried shooting powder over it.

Posted Image

EDIT: Won't work, it doesn't like being exposed to such high temperatures. :/

oliverw92

oliverw92

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Sorry to bump, but might this work?

www.durafix.co.uk

Aluminium filler.

burnout21

burnout21

• Members
  • 14 posts

Sorry to bump, but might this work?

www.durafix.co.uk

Aluminium filler.

that stuff is pretty handy, im pretty sure it should powder coat, as its melt point is bloody high and its a brazing process to cause bonding not an adhesive process.
DFI P45-T2RS Plus, Q6600, 4GB Reaper HPC, GTX280 & FX3450, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 1570GB Storage

23JMZ07

23JMZ07

Level 2

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i recently used hts-2000 and it was miraculous, heat the metal up real hot and the stuff just sticks... its surface tension is like cheese and it is as strong as steel. just dont burn yourself. there are many aluminium brazes that are available also i think machine mart sell one for a score.
James

burnout21

burnout21

• Members
  • 14 posts
which did you use as a heating method. i want to get some for my PC-70 project, but Mapp torches are approx £60, far too expensive for such a small job i want to do.

Reason is, there are sod all high temp fillers that work with aluminium and are easy to get hold of.

There is lab metal, but i cant find a re-seller in the UK.
DFI P45-T2RS Plus, Q6600, 4GB Reaper HPC, GTX280 & FX3450, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 1570GB Storage

oliverw92

oliverw92

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
My school has a brazing station that can reach 700 celcius or something ungodly like that when you whack it up to full, so heat wasn't an issue for me :P

Skorchio

Skorchio

How much can i fit in this space, ow i can fit loads in this spa

• Members
  • 3,167 posts
I would always paint after filler you will never till how its going to come out untill its to late! I'm having paint my build. Nicer finish from paint as well :) Will give me something to polish now the cars gone :)

burnout21

burnout21

• Members
  • 14 posts
thing the paint is although its very pretty its crap for cases as it will chip eventually.

even after using the aluminium braze you always over fill, to allow for fettling.

Plus powder coat can be as glossy as paint, but not require the maintenance paint dose!

Skorchio

Skorchio

How much can i fit in this space, ow i can fit loads in this spa

• Members
  • 3,167 posts
I agree, i would choose powder over paint any time. But when filler is involved, i would paint.

23JMZ07

23JMZ07

Level 2

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

which did you use as a heating method. i want to get some for my PC-70 project, but Mapp torches are approx £60, far too expensive for such a small job i want to do.

Reason is, there are sod all high temp fillers that work with aluminium and are easy to get hold of.

There is lab metal, but i cant find a re-seller in the UK.

Lol soz for late reply,
i just used a big propane torch like what roofers use to melt the tar.. I bought the torch from machine-mart for 20 quid or so and it hooks right up to an ordinary propane cylinder from the barby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users