Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Multi GPU help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Oooohh, that's something i've not come across before.

I guess you'd need to set up a VPN if you don't have them on a LAN, but not really sure if that's doable with fahmon.

I'll have a poke round t'net to see if there's a guide on it.

Ian.

Found a guide here.

Edited by IanF, 21 February 2009 - 10:04 AM.

ian.jpg

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts
Wicked I use logmein anyways thanks for that IanF.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
No probs Tom.

Have you got any WUs completed yet, not seen you appear on the team scoreboard?

ian.jpg

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
Im not on the wcuk team mate :(

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
Ian did you mod the bios on your 8800gt or have oyu just clocked it?

Thats a damn good shader you have there :o

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

I got my card oc'd to 571/1895/951 (core/shaders/mem) plus I have the 510MB version of the 8800GT which helps with the big WUs.

Is that core speed right Ian?

Or is it meant to be 751?

If it is meant to be 571, does underclocking the core help?

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
Pumping through my WU's now.

Have noticed some strange points on the ati card tho, like 477 pointers and 543's?
Also the ati client uses the cpu aswell, Im guessing thats to help with the lack of shaders.

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
am not sure if it's running on both GPU cores, I'm getting 430 iter per second is it OK for 4870 X2 or not?

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
what ppd you getting on what size work unit mate?

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
I don't think it's possible to run 2 GPU clients on an X2.

Not sure on the iterations malarky. Best way to measure the progress and performance of the client/s is to use FahMon.

Edit:

If you're running XP then I may be wrong, check out this thread and the links in it.

Edited by IanF, 09 March 2009 - 05:36 PM.

ian.jpg

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
can't get fahmon working :( when i add new client it stays black. Yes I'm on XP

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
enable view hidden folders in folder options

then go
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu

admin could be what ever your user name is. Link fahmon to the folder in app data and you should be away dude.

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
cheers matey it works, now to start it on both GPUs I'll need to create copy of Application Data\folding@home-gpu folder, start FahCore_11.exe -gpu0 and second FahCore_11.exe -forcegpu ati_r700 -gpu 1

I tried but does not work, what I'm doing wrong?

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
BTW after running FAHMON I'm on 2369.83 ppd and I ticked receive large WUs

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
follow the guide to the letter mate and it works, your just missing something out trust me

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
spent another 3 hours reading through it and trying, can you point me to the post where they actually describe method which works?

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
Installation for a multi-GPU system

Here is some specific requirements to follow for the multi-GPU setup to work :

• The current multi-GPU installation guide requires some knowledge of the Windows system, if you are having issues, you can ask for help.
  • If you are running multiple GPU cards with SLI or Crossfire, you need to unlink the cards by disabling SLI or Crossfire in the driver control panel. Also, you need to extend the desktop for the client to recognize the cards.
  • When Windows ask to look for a driver hit CANCEL. If you let Windows install the driver automatically, there is a big risk of having sub-par performances or client issues.
  • If you run Windows Vista, you need to have each GPU connected to a monitor (a KVM can also work but not all models of KVM will provide a signal when it's not switched as current monitor) or a VGA dummy plug.
Before you start doing the installation, make sure to grab the latest CUDA driver and the latest client. You can find the links in the Requirements section. Also, the following guide is based on the GPU Systray client installation so if you didn't install the client yet, follow the Systray instructions first before following the instructions below.

Note: First of all, make sure the GPU2 client didn't copy the shortcut in the startup folder during installation because we don't want it to start automatically. The current client doesn't do it but previous clients did, hence the warning. The shortcut is usually found in ''Start -> Programs -> Startup".

Note: If you are following this multi-GPU guide to upgrade from a single-GPU setup, make sure that the second copy doesn't include the work folder and queue.dat from the original one or you will duplicate the work unit. To ensure it's ok, delete the work folder and queue.dat in the new folder after you copied from the original folder.
Next, open up Windows Explorer and find the directory where the installer created a folder under your user name. Below is the path of the folder depending on the OS :
XP : C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\
Vista: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\

Note: This folder is usually hidden so you may need to type the whole path in the address bar or to enable the option to view all files and folders.
Once you’ve located the directory, copy the folder called Folding@Home-gpu and paste into the same location. Rename the new copy by cutting the “Copy of” off and adding a 2 (or more for extra cards) after the directory name. You will need to repeat the same steps if you have 3 or more GPU you want to use. Here is what it should look :

Posted Image
Now, go in the C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\Folding@Home-gpu folder (with Vista, it's in the x86 folder). You should find the client executable here so make a new shortcut of the client (right-click on the executable icon then select Create Shortcut). After creating the shortcut, move the shortcut to the desktop then rename with a short name like GPU1. Don't copy more than one shortcut since you will do it after doing some modifications :

Posted Image
Right-click on the first shortcut then select Properties. It should bring up the following screen:

Posted Image
Now, replace the Start in: path with the path of the data file which is stored in either those places (replace [username] with your Windows user name) :
XP : C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Folding@Home-gpu
Vista: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu
Make sure there are quotes at the start and end of the Start in: path.
Add the -gpu 0 flag at the end of the Target: path, after the quotes (make sure there is a space between the quote and the flag). It should look like this in the Target: field:
"C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0
Once you are done, the properties should look like this for the first client. Click on Ok to close the panel afterwards :
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0
Start in: "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Folding@Home-gpu" (XP/2003) or "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu" (Vista)
Now that you are done editing the shortcut, it's time to create more for the other GPU cards. Copy the first shortcut and paste as many copies (based on how many GPU cards you want to run) you need on the desktop. Rename each shortcut copy with a simple yet distinct names (to help identify which client) like GPU2, GPU3, etc. When you are done, right-click on each new shortcut and select Properties to edit the properties. This time, since you did most of the configuration above, all you need to do is to point the Start in: path to each data folder that you created and put -gpu 1 flag (or higher for subsequent cards). After you are done, you should have something like that :
Target: "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 1
Start in: "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Folding@Home-gpu2" (XP/2003) or "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu2" (Vista)
When you are done editing each shortcut, click on the first shortcut and configure your client as demonstrated in the Systray installation guide above. The key things to make sure you do are :
On the Connection tab :
  • Click yes to accept WUs larger than 10 megabytes.
On the Advanced tab :
  • Check the Core Priority for Slightly Higher
  • Click do not lock cores to specific CPU
  • Make sure the Machine ID is different then any CPU or GPU client you have running. Note: default is 2.
Now hit accept and repeat the step above for each shortcut and make sure you pick a unique machine ID for each client. When you are done, all that remain to do is to click every shortcut to start the clients and monitor them closely to make sure they run fine (it's often tricky due to a possible driver version conflict).

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
I think it works now! CPU load 70%, GPU load 95% only weird thing is that FAHMON is showing status yellow???

it just took time both up and running

thanks both for help I'm now folding as much I can possibly a CPU client as well but my CPU is almost on 100% anyhow

Edited by ericappla, 12 March 2009 - 12:22 AM.

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
What CPU do you have, the ATI client runs @ 50% on my machine I think its something to do with helping the card where its got less shaders than an Nvid.

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
I'm running 3150 PPD on each core!!!

Processor is C2D6400 @ 3200MHz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users