Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Welcome new Folders.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Big welcome to katiephil and brooks to the WCUK Folding Team.\\:D/

You're getting some good results guys! 187 WUs between you in such a short time is excellent<dance1><dance1>

Mega thanks to you both=D>

ian.jpg

propaintballa

propaintballa

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
Not fair. I wana fold, but it breaks EVGA Precision which does my overclocks, temps and displays on my G15 :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cmon B just put up some pis of your Spidy sheet or somin.. Im forgetting what ur room looks like!!!!

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
i have registered on the team with my ps3 as i dont fold on my pc ill leave it running as and when i can

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Nice one dazza, PS3s churn out a lot of WUs,

Welcome aboard.

ian.jpg

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
Yus, welcome new folders. :)

We can still use more folders though.

If anybody wants to gpu fold for a few hours while they're asleep and there's cheap leccy, that'll help. ;)

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

brooks

brooks

• Members
  • 9 posts
Thanks hopefully be turning out a few more WU's in the coming weeks!!

katiephil

katiephil

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Thanks Ian

Not been on my PC for a while so am going to leave the thing running 24/7 to build up a few more points.

Got it running on a 4870 GPU. When viper is finished it will be run on 2 4870 x2's.

The server at work is a crappy Pentium D so been asked to upgrade to Xeon's socket 771's.

I think 2 X5482's will do nicely to fold with 24/7.
Posted Image

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Hmm Viper is finished? I or we haven't seen any pics yet!

My Blog => http://adriank.org

katiephil

katiephil

Level 8

• Members
  • 735 posts

Hmm Viper is finished? I or we haven't seen any pics yet!

No I said "when viper is finished"..........! :P

It’s not done yet - Marcus is back today so going to send the case tomoz. Give it 2 weeks spoon and viper will be done.

Using the rig I built for the WCUK comp (theres a pic in my album)

Q6600
Black ops
2Gb DDR3
etc etc
Posted Image

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Right I'm not on top of things today, but you should understand that its Friday!

<dance1><dance1><dance1>

My Blog => http://adriank.org

katiephil

katiephil

Level 8

• Members
  • 735 posts
Thank god its friday........................

I cant wait for the weekend :D
Posted Image

insomnai

insomnai

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I'll be folding but I'm not sure exactly how much upload you will need. I've only got mobile broadband after the 20th of September as virgin media are cheesing me off with their 'not network shaping' is network shaping and killing my speeds.

If anyone would like to drop me a line i'll be happy to do some work!

Regards

insomnai

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Hi insomnai,

if you can fold with the GPU client, each Work Unit takes between 2 and 4 hours depending on your graphics card (it may be a lot longer with something like an 8600GT).

When the WU is finished it will send the results file back to Stanford and the files are less than 512KB.

Using the SMP client with a multi core CPU will produce a file of approx 10MB every 24+ hours if it is running 24/7.

HTH.

Ian.

ian.jpg

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
I completed my first WU for WCUK over the weekend :D

Been folding on my work laptop (CoreDuo T2300) for about a week, leaving it running overnight and at weekends when I'm not in the office, using one Linux unicore client (don't want to burn out the CPU and leave it at 100% all weekend!).

I've just started running the Linux SMP client on my own laptop at home, and will be running the SMP client on Galileo when it's back running tomorrow :).
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
I'd definitely advise caution when Folding with a laptop, running for long periods at 100% load will kill one pretty quick.

Best thing is to set the CPU usage in the config console to 75%.

ian.jpg

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
Well I've now installed the GPU2 client and one CPU client on my WC'd desktop rig (ATI HD4870 + Q6600 @ 3.80GHz) so hopefully my WUs should start speeding up :)
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Welcome to shasta9,

you've put in a good few work units in a short time <thumb>

ian.jpg

memolipd

memolipd

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
im thinking about folding. Im wondering how much my electricity bill is gonna go up by. What kind of result should i be getting/what client to use?

q6600 at 3.6ghz 24/7

8800 ultra overclock to 700/1200

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
Could just use the GPU2 client to begin with, wouldn't need much more.

Ultra at those clocks should be able to pull down 5k+ ppd

You'll need the latest Nvidia drivers which has included physx and cuda now.

As for electric, an 8800Ultra (I had a 8800GTX at home) will prolly use quite a bit.

Might be best to just fold at night when it's cheap rate and see how your next bill looks.

You only need a few hours gpu folding to get some decent points and help the cause.

I was gpu folding 24/7 at home.

I only fold at work now though, as wife will sell me on ebay if we have another leccy bill like that.

Edited by OneEyeUK, 21 October 2008 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet

Level 7

• Members
  • 652 posts
I just joined team 44831 with my PS3, hope it helps
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users