Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

10mm Fittings and Hose Explained...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
Due to the amount of emails i get about hose and fittings i thought i should take some time out and make this little guide to show you what is compatible with what hose etc. Just so you don't buy the wrong stuff 8)

Ok here goes..

Here we have a CPU waterblock with 2x G1/4" threads so I've screwed in 2x 1/4" BSPP - 10/8mm Compression fittings for the first part (1/4" BSP and G1/4" are compatible thread sizes - either would fit this block)

Posted Image

Next we get ourselves a small offcut of 10/8mm PVC hose. (Note the PVC bit as we sell PUR as well - explained below)

We slide the cap from the compression fitting over the hose ready to fit..

Posted Image

With the cap slid over the PVC hose, we push the hose over the nipple on the compression fitting screwed into the block..

Posted Image

Next we slide down the cap over the PVC hose which is on the nipple and tighten it with our fingers until you cant tighten anymore :)

Posted Image

Ok so what we have learnt here is 10/8mm Compression fittings are compatible with 10/8mm PVC hose!

Next step.... PUR Hose

Same as before we get an offcut of PUR hose and slide the cap down the hose.

Posted Image

This time we have to really force the PUR hose onto the nipple with it being stronger not as flexible hose.

Posted Image

The cap is also harder to screw on, i suggest pushing down whilst getting the first few threads started then use a small spanner to tighten, but stop when you think its getting too tight!

Posted Image

Ok so what we have learnt here is 10/8mm Compression fittings are compatible with 10/8mm PUR hose!

Now here is where it all changes..

Who can tell me which hose in the picture below is PUR and which is PVC ?

Posted Image

Next we take our small samples of PVC and PUR hose and any Push Fitting

Posted Image

First the PVC Hose marked with lines to show you the 3 stages the Push fitting has before it locks water tight around the hose. Make sure if your using Push fittings to push the hose in 100% of the way otherwise it WILL leak.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Seems to fit ok ? Lets pull on it and see what happens.................

Posted Image

Oh dear... Even though the PVC hose was locked in 100% of the way like i mentioned above a little pull and it comes right back out again :?

The reason for this is simple, PVC hose is softer and more flexible so the inside of the Push fitting can't grip the Outside of the 10mm Hose causing it to slip back out..

PUR Hose.. This is less flexible and has a tougher outer wall which can grip the inside of the fitting to make a 100% watertight seal (providing the PUR hose is pushed in all the way)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Now i can't really show you how hard i pulled on the PUR hose when its locked into the fitting but please trust me, you'll have a bloody hard job pulling it out once its in.. The only real way of getting the hose back out is to press the Blue ring down and then pull it out :P

Ok so what we have learnt here is 10mm Push Fittings ARE NOT compatible with 10/8mm PVC hose! But they ARE COMPATIBLE with 10/8mm PUR Hose! This is a Law stick to it! :D

cobalt6700

cobalt6700

I glow in the dark?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
nice one rob! thanks for that <thumb>

(you spelt PVC wrong twice tho :P)
Posted Image

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
haha well spotted that man :D

/me edits post :)

richardthesane

richardthesane

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for this

Having never seen a watercooling kit before it gives me a little heads up as to what to expect. Perfect!

WoZZeR

WoZZeR

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
A very handy guide but the images are not working, any chance of fixing them please? :)

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
Well spoted :)

They were still linking to the old server from before we had the big changeover last year!

Fixed

mattblackone

mattblackone

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
Good Guide Rob
Iam thinking of fitting an external Rad to my rig and that has saved me a few posts lol
Nice one <thumb>

Bill
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users