Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Epic Fail Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
769 replies to this topic

cyberpunk

cyberpunk

• Members
  • 14 posts
well, Let me tell you of my experience of water cooling. It all started with my computer getting a little old and tired, after a friend suggested water cooling i invisiged some mangled amalgamation invovling a pigs heart, a motorbike radiator and lots of garden hose. The spec of my computer at the time was:

AMD athlonXP 1800+
1GB DDR ram (forgotten the speed)
gigabyte k7s5a mobo
saphire radeon 9200se 128mb graphics card

So after looking into it i went wit thermaltakes big water system. bought a couple more water blocks, a VGA block and a Northbridge block. i also invested in two waterblocks for my HDD's. all in all i think i paid about 100-150 quid for the lot, i can't remember exactly

While building the system i noticed that the hose supplied seemed awfully flimsy (it kinked at the slightest bend.) so i paid a visit to the garden center and got some 10mm hose.I set up the system and ran it in a box for 24 hours, no leaks. Then, once i was certain everything was ok, i fitted it into the computer. The next week passed without incident, and I went off to university, taking great care in transporting the system. The first few days were fine, then i started to notice the level in the water dropping quite rapidly, it was autumn/winter so i put this down to the fact that the room was warmer due to the heating. after inspecting the inside i found the HDD waterblocks cracked around the screws, and my HDD's sodden. i let them dry out for a couple of days while i removed the blocks (pissed off and a little confused as to why they had cracked) the water continued to deplete until i found the cpu water block was leaking too, ONTO THE MOTHERBOARD!!!! it had cracked down one of the threaded parts. i managed to fashion a temporary repair using plumbers tape until i could afford a replacement. however the water was still leaking (at a lesser rate) when the mobo eventually died, i took it out to inspect the damage. the AGP slot had corroded, The motherboard was cooked and so was the graphics card.

the thing that first made me notice the waterlevel dropping so rapidly was when i was over a friends flat, he was on the internet, (i left my computer on as the room fees were fixed regardless of the power/water used) and i watched myself sign out of msn. when i didn't reappear withing 3 minutes i sprinted to my flat and topped it up again, forcing the pump and radiator to run. That worried me somewhat.

from that moment i have been a little bit wary of water cooling, and wish to get it done professionally for my new computer (quad core 8gb sli graphics card beast) as i don't want to cry tears of blood as my 850 quid goes up in smoke. Would I be right in thinking that watercoolinguk do bespoke water cooling systems to order? As in I provide the machine, they build the watercooling arround it?

Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Wow, sounds terrible, good thing it was an old machine though! My watercooling is still going fine and dandy, no leaks at all :) Used plumbers tape around the thread of every barb and around the top of the barb where the hose fits on, tightended on the jubilee clips tight with a flat head screw driver :) I'm just dreading draining it if I want to watercool a new card that comes out, it's going to be a mess ... again
Posted Image

cyberpunk

cyberpunk

• Members
  • 14 posts
It was pretty bad. I think it might just have been bad luck. I was more concerned with the price than getting quality parts.
So who would i speak to to get a quote on a system?

swift_wraith

swift_wraith

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Would I be right in thinking that watercoolinguk do bespoke water cooling systems to order? As in I provide the machine, they build the watercooling arround it?

Yup, just give Rob or Marcus a shout and I'm sure they can sort something out for you.
Intel Quad 8200, 2gb Corsair Twin X, DFI Lanparty Jnr, XFX 260 Black Edition, 2.75tb of Samsung Spinpoints, Corsair HX1000w Psu, Coolermaster Cosmos-S case, Generic 19" Monitor, Logitech G15 & Razr Diamondback.

cyberpunk

cyberpunk

• Members
  • 14 posts

Would I be right in thinking that watercoolinguk do bespoke water cooling systems to order? As in I provide the machine, they build the watercooling arround it?

Yup, just give Rob or Marcus a shout and I'm sure they can sort something out for you.

sweet. Thankyou, I'll wander back here after work and make some posts

skyripper

skyripper

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Well I thought it would happen later rather than sooner... but here's my entry into the Epic Fail thread.

While upgrading a PC for another member of the family, I heard what can only be described as a 'bloody stange crackling'... and then noticed that my PC was on fire :shock:

:!: In an electrical fire, the first thing to do is cut the power, then attempt to tackle the blaze. So I turned the plugs off at the wall and blew it out like a birthday cake

So anyway, once it was ok to move, it was off to the kitchen for investigation. I've been putting off a rebuild of my loop(s) but now my kitchen looks like this..

Posted Image

Once all that crazy tubing was removed, and I had Feser One in a jug in the sink...

Posted Image
and
Posted Image.

So new Mobo and gfx at the very least.

Oh and anyone else starting watercooling..
Posted Image
Hoseclips do no damn good in the bag and not on the hose!
In rig: Asus P5K Premium/WiFi, Q6600@3.2, 4x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2, 3ware9590SE-8ML raid controller, 3x 1TB WD Caviar Green (RAID5), OCZ Vertex 60Gb (Boot), 5770 1Gb with EK waterblock, Corsair TX650W PSU, XSPC R120-T rad, EK-Supreme CPU waterblock (Copper top EK NB waterblock, Laing DDC-1T Pro in XSPC dualbay res, Coolermaster Cosmos S, Halfords Deionised water

Out: Red Feser One, Cracked plexi cpu top, seagate rubbish 7200.11 drives, 2x 2GB OCZ FlexII DDR2, 4850 512Mb), XSPC 4850 acetal waterblock

propaintballa

propaintballa

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
Omg...Why the hell wouldnt you use hose clips!?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cmon B just put up some pis of your Spidy sheet or somin.. Im forgetting what ur room looks like!!!!

lasher

lasher

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
jesus!! just made me take the side of my case off and check all my fittings.

lucky that happened when you were local to the pc!

Posted Image

Lian Li PC-X2000 Tyr, Asus P5K Premium, E8400 @ stock, GTX280OCX, 4GB Geil Black Dragons, WD 500gb, Sam 250gb.
Watercooling : 2x Laing DDC Ultras XSPC res tops, Thermochill PA120.3, XSPC V3 CPU block, EK280GTX block, 2x120.1 Magicool's.

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
OMG thats bad dude :(

propaintballa

propaintballa

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,747 posts
Really...Does suck...Hate to say it, was your own fault though dude :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cmon B just put up some pis of your Spidy sheet or somin.. Im forgetting what ur room looks like!!!!

skyripper

skyripper

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
I know its my own fault, I just been waiting on new bits to arrive when I was going to redo the whole lot properly. Fate got to me first. New list of parts might just include a CO2 fire extinguisher though. Oh and when I first put my order in, I'd chosen the wrong size clips.
In rig: Asus P5K Premium/WiFi, Q6600@3.2, 4x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2, 3ware9590SE-8ML raid controller, 3x 1TB WD Caviar Green (RAID5), OCZ Vertex 60Gb (Boot), 5770 1Gb with EK waterblock, Corsair TX650W PSU, XSPC R120-T rad, EK-Supreme CPU waterblock (Copper top EK NB waterblock, Laing DDC-1T Pro in XSPC dualbay res, Coolermaster Cosmos S, Halfords Deionised water

Out: Red Feser One, Cracked plexi cpu top, seagate rubbish 7200.11 drives, 2x 2GB OCZ FlexII DDR2, 4850 512Mb), XSPC 4850 acetal waterblock

fac51

fac51

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Well looking at it in a positive manner it's a good excuse to buy some new kit.

Danm

Danm

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
erm...isnt feser 1 non conductive ? :???:
Posted Image

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
danm :) no it is'nt, it is destilled water, few chemicals and dye to make colour

fac51

fac51

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm led to believe it has been made less conductive than straight-up water though?

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
yes :D petra from petrs tech shop did some vids on destilled water and hardware

[center:18o1n2wf][youtube:18o1n2wf][/youtube:18o1n2wf]

[youtube:18o1n2wf][/youtube:18o1n2wf][/center:18o1n2wf]

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
I dont think its a fair example, as in first test, hes only using a fan, then second test whole mobo etc...

If the fans connector is sleeved etc, water isnt gonna blow it up, bet if they used fesser in with the fan, it would of also been fine...

fun videos though.

And youve still put me off fesser anyway, I had fluidxp, that was worse as it still blew things up but also made tubing misty and yucky aswell.

freshage

freshage

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,934 posts
hes a tard, ultimate fail :)

chris
Posted Image

Davep

Davep

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
lol. this one defo to add!

"Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/fhlinux179/w/watercoolinguk.co.uk/user/htdocs/forums/cache/queue.php on line 119

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/fhlinux179/w/watercoolinguk.co.uk/user/htdocs/forums/cache/queue.php on line 119"

Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests
Posted Image

Now thats an Epic Fail for TFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users