Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Nvidia GPU Folding

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
That's a bargain for the ppd.

My 8800GT 512MB is getting the same ppd but I've got it clocked lower to lessen the stress on it, tho my E5200 is running at 3.5GHz which helps.

ian.jpg

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
One of my folding rigs died last night.

Checked my stats when I got into work, and my daily production was well down.

So, checked my spare rigs by VNC from my main work pc.

The one with a 512MB 8800GT was fubar'd.

Quick check found one of the RAM sticks appears to have snuffed it.

Gonna have to juggle my RAM around to keep it folding while I RMA the dodgy stuff.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
My PPD has dropped right off since these new 511 point units have come out coz the 256MB 8800GT doesn't seem to get on with them.

Keep getting NANs errors. :(

Any thoughts Ian?

Tried reducing the overclock a bit, but still get them.

Might try running it at defaults and see what happens.

Edit: Think gpu folding might be killing my RAM.....

Only just occurred to me, just been messing with the 256MB 8800GT rig and checking stuff and it looks like 1 of the sticks has died.

Had almost exactly the same thing happen with my other 2 folding rigs in the last week or so.

Edit Edit: The RAM dying on me may or may not be coincidental. There is now a modified fahcore_11 for manual download to try for people who are having problems. Am now trying this on my 256MB 8800GT rig to see how I get on.

Edited by OneEyeUK, 12 November 2008 - 09:37 AM.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
From what I've read the new 1.19 version of the core will get rid of the errors you were encountering. I didn't have these problems, but Nvidia are claiming it may be due to inadequate power supplies.

The new 511 point WUs are the first of the "real" science units for the GPU client. It seems that card with more stream processors, memory and memory bandwidth cope with them better.

Your RAM probs are very strange. I've not found anything similar being reported from other Folders, so i hope you can isolate the cause.

Ian.

ian.jpg

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
Think the inadequate psu thing nvidia have trotted out is a pile of rancid dingo's kidneys tbh.

Got a 550w Antec PSU on the 256mb 8800GT, which I've been having issues with.

But only a 380w Antec PSU on my 512mb 8800GT which is still going strong.

Been reading up a bit more myself.

It seems, at least in my case and some others, that 256mb 8800GT's just can't cope with the new core.

For now, at least, replacing the 256mb 8800GT with an 8800GTX I still have spare.

denis6902

denis6902

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Client #01 - GPU - GTX 260

Target:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe

Start In:
C:\Users\Hildebrand\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\

Arguments:
-verbosity 9 -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Is this correct?

What is verbosity for? And what arguments should i have there?

Client #02 - CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad 9450

Target:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-cpu\fah6.exe

Start In:
C:\Users\Hildebrand\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86

Arguments:
-svcstart -d -advmethods (As seen on Regedit - Imagepath)

when i ran fah6.exe through the CMD with the -configonly i set these as additional client parameters:
-verbosity 9 -forceasm -deino -local

WHEN -smp was added, client did not work!

Is this correct?What are the arguments i should have there?

When i click on the icon of this CPU client, it opens like on CMD. Is there an option to have it running on the pc but without this CMD window? I mean like on system tray like the GPU client, or hidden for example?

Edited by denis6902, 19 December 2008 - 05:29 AM.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Hi,

sorry for the slow response.

I have been running the same clients for a long time and for the GPU client have never needed any additional arguments.

The Verbosity is the amount of information recorded in the Log file. When you set it at nine it will record every step the client takes which can be useful if you encounter problems when running the client.

For the SMP client I have added the arguments -smp -deino to the shortcut, so the target for t the shortcut reads ""C:\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe" -smp -deino".

The SMP client runs in a Command window only, tho it may be possible to set it to run as a service when the computer starts so there is now window but it is running in the background.

The best way to monitor your Folding clients is with FAHmon. This will allow you to see the progress of every client on a network and gives the calculated points per day for each and it also uses fewer resources than the viewer on the GPU client.

HTH.

Ian.

ian.jpg

denis6902

denis6902

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
can i monitor the client from the other pc, here on my pc with FAHmon? I got my both client, from this machine already on fahmon!

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Share the folder and point F@hmon there :)

Or just use \C$ =D>

Edited by spoon, 20 December 2008 - 09:20 PM.

My Blog => http://adriank.org

denis6902

denis6902

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Share the folder and point F@hmon there :)

Or just use \C$ =D>

Use what?

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Administrative share on Windows :)

\\PC_No_1\C$

Works with UNC just great if you don't want to share folders on your network.

My Blog => http://adriank.org

denis6902

denis6902

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
kind of giving up on this, tried to reinstall my cpu client, and now is all broken, doesnt work at all, tried everything.

i think folding should develop a proper software for high performance cpus, like on ps3 or even one for the xbox, cause my cpu now is not even folding papers! :(

denis6902

denis6902

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
alright got my CPU folding again as service, finally! I dont know why, but usually i dont see pics from photobucket ot imageshack on ym pc, it must be the script blocking feature or whatever.

However i found a very good method for installing the MPICH version for x64 bit windows on Hard|forum. will post it on the guide thread too!

Here it is, it was easier there as i could see the picrues on how to set the client as a service properly, giving it the apropriate flags.

Kind of tricky as i was giving that (-d "FOLDER LOCATION") as -c "C:\F@H\CPU" dumb, yes i know!

If someone else made the same silly mistake, please keep it as -d "Folder location the client was installed" please, or the client will not work properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users