Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How To: Stealth A DVD Drive - The easy way

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

RHYSMODDER

RHYSMODDER

• Members
  • 1 posts
Did anybody like the photo of my modded drives in the gallery page? Well this is called stealthing, normally when i would do this i would remove the drive, take the faceplate off, add supports and cut a bit off a zip tie to allow contact to press the button, but that takes forever, so i decided to try it an easier way. WARNING- DO NOT DO THIS ON THE FLOOR IN YOUR BEDROOM, YOU WILL GET PLASTIC BITS ALL OVER THE FLOOR!!! Try it outside or in your garage as i did. :idea:

Follow the guide and you could get the same reults as i did very easily and for about £1.00- if you have scissors! 8)

You will need- :D
1) scissors
2) about 24 double-sided sticky foam pads (they are very cheap so make sure u get a better make-they stick better)
3) A drive that you want to stealth
4) A computer of course to put the drive in!
5) A Brain
6) The drive face plate for your computer
7) Some sort of sanding tool to make the inside of your backing plate flatter.

Meathod

1) Start off by cutting/sanding/snapping the tabs of the drive face plate- use a dremel or file to do this (i used a dremel with sanding drum)!

Posted Image

2) Using your dremel with sanding drum or disk or some ordinarily sandpaper to sand down the face plates grooves that go across and down until all are sanded down. If u used a dremel you can use some sandpaper to get rid of the plastic melts!

Posted Image

3) Place the double sided stick pads along the opening, i normally stack 4 stick pads on top of each other and do 4/5 accross. :D Do the same for the switch, stack 4 on top of each other but leave the paper bit on the top of the stickpad on, otherwise your drives faceplate will stick to the drive!! :oops: . oh yeah when stacking the foam pads on top of each other remember to remove the paper part other wise they will not stick as well!.

Posted Image

4)Now that this is all done all u need to do is stick the drive face plate to the drive by removing the top protective paper but as i said earler not on the switch! Align the face plate with the drives edges so that the drive will fit flush and try to test. Then screw the drive in!

5) connect up all the leads and wires and u have youself a stealthed drive and to open it just press the corner where the switch is and you shouldn't have any problems like me.

Here is my drives now! hehe :P
Posted Image

And them open :shock:
Posted Image

So thats how you stealth a drive the easy way!!! Have fun! :D

Edited by Marcus, 14 December 2008 - 03:10 PM.

GET BLOODY MODDING!!!

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
This is definatley worth a sticky, great stuff :D

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
hehe gonna bump this.. this is such an easy way of doing it!!

marcus.jpg

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
So we resorting to bumping a 2 year old thread now :D

phoenix

phoenix

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip