Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Silverstone TJ07 - Pictorial

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Been meaning to do this one for a while but bit busy at the moment so will carry this one on tomorrow. :?

It ships in a HUGE box, much more padding in this than there is in a Lian Li case. About 4 inch of solid foam surroud the ends of the case.

Posted Image

Left Side Panel - This is the NON window version as i'll be lasering it.

Posted Image

Right Side Panel - mesh in the bottom to allow good air ventilation

Posted Image

Posted Image

Front of the case, 7x 5.25" bays.

Posted Image

2x 120mm fans in the roof, capable of holding a rad with a few mods.

Posted Image

Top Panel with black mesh... looks very nice when painted in a contrastin colour.

Posted Image

Second Part - The Internals (at last :oops: )

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

marcus.jpg

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
There is no denying it, these are lovely cases. It's all about that one-piece curving shell, it reeks of quality, even more so in the flesh.

There are a few niggles with it that I've developed while building my system though, many of which come down to its hand built origins I suspect:

1/ Alignment/fitting issues - screw holes are often not lined up as perfectly as you would expect. Additionally there are several instances where screw holes have been threaded straight into elements of the alumnium frame with no sort of hardened insert - aluminium is too soft to maintain a good thread I think. I dismantled the case a couple of times and noticed while putting screws back in a distinctly 'gritty' feel. So although dismantlabilty is one of this case's strengths, I would suggest this is done as few times as possible to lessen the chances of a cross-threading nightmare.
2/ One a similar note, getting the side panels to fit flush can be a bit of a feat, requiring a lot of jiggling about and patience. Perhaps this is to do with the outer shell being under tension and it alters shape very slightly when you first remove the sides. I'm not sure....
3/ The anodised finish doesn't seem quite as hard wearing as on a Lian Li - this might be because the brushed effect which is missing here might help to 'key in' the anodised finish?
4/ This final niggle I would actually class as INFURIATING. Want to put a hard drive in one of the cd-rom bays with a 3.5-5.25 adaptor? Well you can do that, but you can't have the drive bay cover in front of it as idiotically the covers are designed to use the front set of drive mounting holes as part of the attachment mechanism! To get round this you'd actually either have to perform surgery on the drive cover (very possible but I really don't think you should have to!) or buy Silverstone's hard drive bay caddy thing. All I can say is it's a good job I was going to make my own front panel anyway! :D

All in all it's an amazing case in terms of look and design (mostly), these are just a couple of issues which I would like to see Silverstone work on to really justify the price tag. Given the choice I'd definately buy it again for its looks alone, but there's always room for improvement :)

edit: Sorry being a pillock, feel free to move this post so you can have the second slot for more photos :oops:
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
LOL did you split open my head, pull out my brain and then throw it into text???

1 - VERY true and the screw holes and how the thread on the aluminum quickly wears away.

2 - Yeh 100% agree, you can see the issue clearly here:
http://i179.photobuc... ... mbled3.jpg
Any tips for resolving it?? I assumed it was because of the paint and the extra material thickness

3 - Can't comment, not really noticed anythin myself
4 - ARGH yeh I found this out for myself the other night, you need to butcher the steel threaded inserts off the covers

I'll try get this finished tonight.

marcus.jpg

Daza

Daza

MR D to you.

• Members
  • 1,643 posts

Any tips for resolving it??

BIG rubber malet and then pray you dont need to get the side panel off again. :D
MR D to you.

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

2 - Yeh 100% agree, you can see the issue clearly here:
http://i179.photobuc... ... mbled3.jpg
Any tips for resolving it?? I assumed it was because of the paint and the extra material thickness

Hehe yeah I wondered if this might have been the problem on this image when you posted it in the project log. I suspect the extra layer added to the material isn't helping but I still get the problem with a stock case so I'm not sure.

I wonder if one thing that might be worth a go at would be to ever so slightly adjust the tightness of the screws at the top and bottom corners of the back supports that keep the panel 'sprung'. The main reason I say this is that although the panels were a bit of a bind to put on and take off initially, it became noticably more difficult to get them fitted properly after I'd dismantled the case and put it back together. I'm wondering if overtightening these screws leads to a frationally tighter 'C profile' of the main frame. I can't really think of what else it could be!

Have you noticed the back panel which is not meant to be taken off as often is noticably harder to mount too? I guess if all else fails you could employ a bit of simple physics - put the case in a warm room for half an hour and the panels outside some where cold, and then try fitting them again in half an hour :)
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Rest of pictures added, sorry for the delay! :)

marcus.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
This is the only case I'd swap my Eclipse 62 for!

ian.jpg

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Quick question before I pop to laser cutters, do you think it would be worthwhile me designing some sort of brackets that allows a 240mm rad to be fitted in the roof in a similar fashion to the TJ09 and TJ10?

marcus.jpg

Emtoucan

Emtoucan

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I love this case, I've been looking around for serveral weeks for the best watercooling case and settled on this.

Not only practical but sexy too.

Can't wait to get one. Can you order the side panels seperately? I'm thinking of getting the windowed version and when I can afford to get the case painted and the panel laser cut I'll buy the non-windowed side.

I suppose they'll probably be someone whose willing to swap.

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
where is the best place to get the hdd converter caddy thingy

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Kustom?

My Blog => http://adriank.org

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
So the one i need is the CFP51 damn £30 just to move the hdd's

prosser13

prosser13

Gaffa tape and WD40...

• Members
  • 1,891 posts
Buy some Scythe hard drive silencers and a Scythe Kama bay?
Posted Image

D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Buy some Scythe hard drive silencers and a Scythe Kama bay?

Seconded, awesome little product the Silencer kit. [-Y
I have a penis and a brain, but not enough blood to run both at the same time...

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
anyone want to buy me the case? :D :P :)

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
Let me think, No... its expensive.... :P ....

Still seems to be pretty popular this one.

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
yes but overpriced and i want two :P lol good side star warts case and the dark side case :)

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
I think thats a great idea bentleya, two cases instead of 2 sides...

Which day would you use the darkside pc...... when your stressed

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
oo both wound be used all the time :D think of it as a mega pc :D

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
Youve got me thinking now about how i could remake the tj07 to incorporate the new front panels i like to make..

Might have to remake the whole outer shell... Possibly the case is too expensive to remake such a large part of it again?

Next project im thinking of at the mo, so they may come up with a better case in the mean time.

Im pretty fussy about cases, havent ever found one i can say i really liked.. Theres always something that needs modding.... Maybe this is a good thing though.

Perfect case would mean no modding.... Pointless maybe then..... Uniqueness is what most people are after i think?

This case is a contender though for Monster2/The rage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users