Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How To: Daisy Chain Fans

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

damunk

damunk

• Members
  • 13 posts
Thanks for this guide! This is definately going to help me out since I got like 6 fans just on my radiator... Im wondering tho, does it work the same way with 4pin molex cables? Like would you also cut off all but 1 yellow wire? Would there be any difference in which of the 2 black wires to connect to eachother?

Btw,

First Post!! Have been lurking around for quite a while tho :P

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
Thought id better look over this thread, make sure your doing this right :P..

Looks good.

Just make sure you dont try running too many fans of mobos headers.

Would be advisable to check out maximum loads allowed etc etc.

Or uprate the wire used to 16/02mm or something.

Maybe over the top, but generally you should be fine

Elemental_Dragon

Elemental_Dragon

Always needs to be faster!!!

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
What's the most you can wire upt o 1? I saw that KPC had a quad fan header and suggested it could be used on the mobo.... I guess it might be why they don't stock it any more or at least never have any in!

~Bex
PERSONAL BESTS : E8600 @ 4.8GHz <thumb> E6750 @ 4GHz <thumb> QX9650 @ 4.4GHz<thumb> I7 920 @ 4.6GHz!

Skorchio : "when you turn that on your log on to windows sound should be "Hello ladies and gentelmen thank you for choosing elemental airways, we are now cruising at 36,000 feet""

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
Would be nice if mobo manufacturers specified the max loads for these headers i think.

Dont expect that they ever thought you lot would get this clever i suppose.

We tend to demand more these days and a "true" tech spec of the mobos would be more help, not just how many slots they have if you know what i mean ;).

Im suspecting the manufacyurers will just say only 1 and anymore is at your own risk?

Just need to know max load really?

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Just watch the vdrop with like 4 fans plugged to 3 pin mobo header, it horrendous!

My Blog => http://adriank.org

Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
So if you were to hook (say) two fans to one controller header, it isn't going to affect the performance of each fan is it? So if the rheobus is at 12V, both fans will get the full output of the controller just as if there was only one? I'm just wondering if the current or potential difference is going to split or be slightly less per fan when using more than one.
Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead; Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail

Kylevdm

Kylevdm

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
the current will increase but voltage will stay the same, so check what the max current output of the fan controller is and then you should be sorted...

Project: Shiny Destiny
Project: MNU

Twitter :: The Mod Brothers Podcast

Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
So is there a maximum you should stick together (other than that limited by current)?

*imagines a whole six fan push-pull configuration controlled by one rheobus*

Edited by Skiddywinks, 04 December 2008 - 06:59 PM.

Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead; Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail

Kylevdm

Kylevdm

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
The rheobus can provide 20 watt per channel (1.67A) so if you are using Xilence fans theoretically yes you can run all 6

S_Plisken

S_Plisken

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I wouldn`t like to put 6 fans on one channel. Like all electrical motors the fans willl draw significantly more on startup than when they are running.

D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
I just daisy chained and braided 2 Xilence Redwings, run perfectly on the relatively weak Zalman ZM-MFC Plus I have (only 7w per channel compared to the 30w of the Rheobus).

In Edge i'll be having 2 sets of 3 on the PA120.3 and 1 set of 2 in the front as intakes (eventually 2 when funds permit a GPU loop).
I have a penis and a brain, but not enough blood to run both at the same time...

Kylevdm

Kylevdm

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

I wouldn`t like to put 6 fans on one channel. Like all electrical motors the fans willl draw significantly more on startup than when they are running.

xilence fans use 0.84W and even if they take up 4 times the wattage on start up they will run fine on the rheobus

keefy

keefy

• Members
  • 15 posts
Looking at my fans the connections are only covered by the sticker so it is possible to link each fan by directly soldering to them that way there will only be 1 set of 3 wires (Red, black, yellow) coming from 1 fan.

Kylevdm

Kylevdm

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Looking at my fans the connections are only covered by the sticker so it is possible to link each fan by directly soldering to them that way there will only be 1 set of 3 wires (Red, black, yellow) coming from 1 fan.

It is possible but it may kill the fan if you are not careful

subset7

subset7

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Not sure I understand the question,do you have a pic of the fans ?

keefy

keefy

• Members
  • 15 posts
It's not a question.

Brooksie

Brooksie

• Members
  • 20 posts
Bit offtopic here, i'm about to order the scythe kaze master and I was wondering if I daisy link two fans to one knob will both fans go at full speed?

Dimensions: (W x H x D) 148.5 x 42.5 x 63 mm
Display Dimension: 114 x 20 mm
DC Input: 5V or 12V (From PC Power Supply)
Fan Adjustment Range: 3.7V (±10%) ~ 12V (±10%)
Fan Channel: 4
Maximum Fan Ampere per Channel: 1A per channel
Fan Speed Range: 0 ~ 7500 rpm (Display Range: 30rpm Incremental)
* Package indicates the maximum range as 9,990 rpm, but the actual range is 7,500 rpm.
Temperature Module Channel: 4
Temperature Range: 0 ~ 100°C / 32 ~ 199.9°F
Measurement Frequency: Every 2 Seconds
Weight: 165 g

thats the specs.

Edited by Brooksie, 23 January 2009 - 01:21 PM.

damunk

damunk

• Members
  • 13 posts
Im using the Kaze Master and Ive tried daisy chaining fans to it. I hooked up 3 Enermax Warp fans to 1 channel and the Kaze Master got extremely hot, so hot that you could almost smell the plastic starting to smolder. Now I bought a FanAmp which supplies power to the fans and now the KazeM produces a lot less heat.

Afterwards I daisychained my homemade memory cooler consisting of 3 Xilence 80mm coolers and they seem to produce a lot less heat when combined on 1 channel. So make sure you check out the specs of the fans you want to hook up to it.

Oh and yes, your fans will still go at full speed.. Unless you turn the knob to the left ;)

Edited by damunk, 23 January 2009 - 01:47 PM.

Brooksie

Brooksie

• Members
  • 20 posts
it would probably be two of these:
http://www.watercool...roducts_id=1170

clone

clone

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
Just remember you only need one yellow rpm wire so if you do 2 fans cut one off and join the other 2 black and red just done it with 4 yates and about to do another 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users