Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

It might just be time for a new project!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

GSUS

GSUS

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Hey guys,

First i'll admit i'm a bad community guy, i used the forum for advice and sharing my previous project back in 2010 and i've not contributed since that project was done (hangs head in shame).......although i have dropped by every now and then to keep an eye on the awesome rigs that have been developing.

So, as the topic title says, 'It might just be time for a new project!' since my last build was back in 2010, you can read more here :

http://forum.waterco...treated-myself/

I've decided i'm going to go water cooled again, I just enjoyed building that set up last time so much and i feel i can build something a little better this time.  Don't get me wrong i liked my previous rig, but felt it could have been finished better and it looked a little clumsy if that makes sense.

So the shopping list so far exists of the following :

• Case - Corsair 900D Obsidian Super Tower Black
  • PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1 Socket 1150
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 4790k 4.4GHz Haswell 'Devils Canyon'
  • GPU - Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
  • Memory - Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Dominator Platinum PC3-128000 (1600)
  • SSD - Corsair 240GB Force Series GS 2.5" SSD SATA-III Read 555MB/s Write 525MB/s
  • HDD - Western Digital 2TB Red Pro WD2001FFSX SATA 6GB/sec 64MB Cache
  • Optical - LG CH12NS30 Internal Blu-Ray SATA 12x BD-R 16x DVD+-R Write

No list of water cooling just yet as i haven't worked out radiators, fans, pumps or reservoir at the moment.  Although that Corsair 900D looks huge so whatever i come up with i'm sure i'll be fine, that thing looks bigger then the TJ07 i had before!

Of course guys, please pull this plan apart and tell me where i could be going wrong.  This list has not been ordered yet and i'm open to suggestions for change etc.

One thing i had considered, was to go SLI instead of a single GPU.....not sure why i'm considering this as i don't plan to run 4K monitors or anything, although i have toyed with the idea of a triple display.  Also, i'm not sure 1000W PSU is right, if i go single GPU have i gone over the top?

Thanks

GSUS

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Hey GSUS,

Welcome back :)

Always good to hear people are considering new rigs... lets hope with the purchase of a 970 you can come and help me fold :)

Just quickly-if the shoes where on my feet i wouldnt bother with sli if your not on 4k or for other reasons, spend the brass on WC products instead, unless your going to see massive gains in what you do with your system and sli i think its a waste of cash :)

Power wise, dont know tons about the rest of the spec but the newer gpus use much less power! Have you tried psu power calculators to work out how close you would be?

Keep It Cool-Water Cooled

http://www.brgdevelopments.co.uk

@brgdevelopments

GSUS

GSUS

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Hey Gooders,

Thanks for the welcome back.

I've never done folding from my rigs, so perhaps i can help you push those numbers up one day  [-Y

Thanks for the info on the PSU, i had a feeling that 1000W is probably over kill, as you say i don't want to draw more power then i'll actually need and i'll have a look around for a power calc.

Thanks for the info on the multiple GPU also, i think i'm leaning towards a single with a higher spec as this will give me more then enough FPS for my level of game play.  Just never done triple monitors before and that's something i fancy trying and i'm pretty sure the 970 is more then up to the job.

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Folding is a nice little somthing when your not using the system :)

I know im pushing my luck with my current psu, but its good enough-when it lets go will go down the sr2 route with more cards :) running single 780 currently on dual monitors-more than enough for cad work and folds at just under 200k a day :)

Theres loads of psu calculators on the net, quick google sesh will find a couple that should give you a good idea :)

Keep It Cool-Water Cooled

http://www.brgdevelopments.co.uk

@brgdevelopments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users