Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New loop... Inexperienced user

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Scewb

Scewb

• Members
  • 4 posts

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I've only ever done one custom loop, back in 2008/9 but that was solely on shop advice.

I'm looking to be a bit more adventurous this time around on my new rig. The graphics cards are running way too hot on air for my liking (hitting the 82C Temp Limit) which is the driver behind this.

Here's the major components:

ASUS Maximus Hero VII

2x ASUS 780 Ti Matrix Platinums in SLI

4790K (Not clocked currently, but I probably will)

Corsair 750D Case

I estimated a TDP of around 625.

I've done a lot of reading and feel confident enough to ask the community - Will this work?

GPU BLOCKS:

2x EK-FC780 GTX Ti Matrix - Nickel

2x Backplates for said cards

Radiators:

1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm (In the top) (Exhaust)

1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm (In the front) (Intake)

1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm (In the back) (Intake)

Fans:

6x Noctua NF-F12 PWM for radiators

2x Existing 120mm fans in the bottom for Intake.

Pump:

12v Laing D5 Vario Pump (Swiftech MCP655)

SLI Connector:

2 Slot Connector (Black)

CPU Block:

EK-Supremacy EVO

Tubing:

XSPC 3/8ID 5/8OD High Flex

Compression Fittings:

Swiftech 16/10 (3/8 x 5/8) Compression fitting Lok Seal G1/4

Mosfet Block:

EK-MOSFET ASUS M7G - Nickel

Reservoir:

Phobya Balancer 150 black Nickel

I think it'll all fit - the case isn't all that roomy, hence the 30mm thick Radiators.

Looking for recommendations on red coloured fluid, or clear fluid with red tubing.

Is a flow meter worthwhile?

Is a kill coil needed?

Many thanks for your time everyone,

Phil

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

"1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm (In the top) (Exhaust)

1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm (In the front) (Intake)

1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm (In the back) (Intake)"

WOW!!

since these are new items from what i understand, i dont think many tech areas have tested these yet.

sayign this im quite sure doing a 3 radiator setup is overkill, but then again maybe thats my inexperince showing.

if you are any good with drawing on the pc, could you mock up a shot showing how all this setup would be like as im strongly suspecting  thats a LOT of tubing and obstruction aswell. i mean you have stated the front and back. how it is going to eb on the front and where on the back ?

edit:well didnt i just learn soemthign and cream myself lol, https://www.youtube....h?v=FhV1fdavRY0 and https://www.youtube....h?v=RoRvp9nm0eQ

Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon View Post
LEARN TO READ AND HAVE PATIENCE BOY!

~Bex

Scewb

Scewb

• Members
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the reply!

Here's my rig today. The only thing missing is the second graphics card. I cant deal with the heat so I took it out. (Easily hits 82C and makes the room/case hot having it in there).

IMG_0354.JPG

Cooling overview:

2x 140mm Intake fans in the front

2x 120mm Intake fans in the bottom

1x 140mm Exhaust in the back

2x 140mm Exhaust on the Corsair 140mm AIO radiator

The optical drive and other front panel stuff will come out - it's not needed anymore - making room for the 360 radiator in the roof.

Plenty of room for a 240 radiator in the front.

I guess looking at it now, a 120 radiator in the rear might be tight - but I was concerned that the graphics cards do run really hot. They quite easily hit the 82C default cap in the BIOS before throttling back.

Do you think 5x 120mm radiator surfaces would be enough for 2x 780Ti's and a 4790K?

I may mod the case and take out the 5.25 bays completely.

I'll have a go at drawing it later on today - but it might have to be signed 'Scewb, aged 4', as my skills have a lot to be desired :P.

Scewb

Scewb

• Members
  • 4 posts

This is rubbish lol.

Reservoir > Pump > 240 Rad > 360 Rad > CPU > Mosfet > 120 Rad > GFX > Reservoir

Red: Radiators

Green: Reservoir

Blue: Pump

Yellow: Tubing

Think this can work?

Drop the 120mm Rad?

IMG_0352.JPG

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

While i dont feel i have enough exp with modern gear to comment on on WC side of things-however this has given me drive to learn about the newer gear out there.

What does intrest me is how your get those temps on the 780's? That is really high! Guessing thats at load?

I have a single gtx and with the card fans at 80% at full load folding 24/7 and cad work as and when i need it, i can not get mine higher than 52, when gaming highest i have seen it is 62 and that was with fans set to auto...

Keep It Cool-Water Cooled

http://www.brgdevelopments.co.uk

@brgdevelopments

Scewb

Scewb

• Members
  • 4 posts

Hi Gooders,

Here's the cards:

http://www.asus.com/...XGTX780TIP3GD5/

Reference GPU boost clock is 928. These particular cards have 1072 out of the box - which I believe is nearing Titan territory.

The airflow becomes really restricted in SLI and the default fan profile means the fans never spin above 60% even when hitting 82C and performance limiting themselves. The upper card ends up sucking in the already scolding air of the lower card.

When I remove the overclock or adjust the fan profiles they're all fine, but at that point you cant hear yourself think. So on air, i'm just with the single card with the factory overclock removed. At this point it's showing around 65C on air.

The thing that gets me is that reading around 72 - 75C is pretty common for 780ti / Titan cards. It just seems too much for me.

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Hi Gooders,

Here's the cards:

http://www.asus.com/...XGTX780TIP3GD5/

Reference GPU boost clock is 928. These particular cards have 1072 out of the box - which I believe is nearing Titan territory.

The airflow becomes really restricted in SLI and the default fan profile means the fans never spin above 60% even when hitting 82C and performance limiting themselves. The upper card ends up sucking in the already scolding air of the lower card.

When I remove the overclock or adjust the fan profiles they're all fine, but at that point you cant hear yourself think. So on air, i'm just with the single card with the factory overclock removed. At this point it's showing around 65C on air.

The thing that gets me is that reading around 72 - 75C is pretty common for 780ti / Titan cards. It just seems too much for me.

Intresting, im running 1202 boost/1065 base clock with the mem set at 6606 instead of 6008 and she spends her life at boost 24/7.

Sat at 51c currently. not sure what fan rpm speed is but its not quiet but its not loud thats on manual set to 80% (the case fans are turned up very high think there one notch off full)-just turned her to auto and goes down to peak of 41% speed at 61c but tends to sit around 38/39% speed with a temp of 58-59, However i can not hear it as theres other things in the shop running that drown it out including the case fans!

I can push her a little more but overclocking isnt my strong point, i have just used settings others have tired and tested then posted on the net...

Watercooling is clearly your friend :) robs shop will hook you up, with regards to what gear thats a good question-take what i say with regards to gear with a pince of salt i have spent too many years out of the WC world, now comming back to it and have some learning to do.

From looking into this since your post, with the 780's on water there temps will be much lower anyway but you have rad capacity to take extra heat, me personally i would run two loops if poss and keep the gpus on there own line, cool the mobo and cpu on its own line too.

With regard to your other questions- flow meter... Are you going to look at it everytime you turn the pc on? if so yeah, if your doing it because you can then yeah, peace of mind? then yeah... I personally wouldnt but as your making a nice job of it it would add it to the list.

Kill coil, if you mean the little silver coils for killing anything, then yeah i would fit one for peace of mind.

coolant colour wise, really up to you... i dont know to much of the science behind it but i prefer water little bit of additive and changed often for best resualts but others say there is now stuff on the market thats much better than water... guess comes down to cost and how often you plan to replace it.

Keep It Cool-Water Cooled

http://www.brgdevelopments.co.uk

@brgdevelopments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users