Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How many Radiators?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

tboneisgaming

tboneisgaming

• Members
  • 8 posts

Hi All

I'm looking to to upgrade my rig in about 3 weeks.  I've already started with an air cooled system.  However the graphics cars sung like jet engines under load.

I've worked out that with both 7990s in the loop as well as a CPU I need to dissipate a TDP of about 850w

The question is how many radiators do I need to dissipate that kind of heat with the fans set for quiet operation?

I'm looking at 45mm rads for the build.  I'm guessing a 360mm and a 240 mm woudl be inadequate.

I'm possibly looking at a 900D build.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Tbone

tboneisgaming

tboneisgaming

• Members
  • 8 posts

I currently have a 750 which I could fit a 240mm at the bottom, a 120mm at the rear and a 360mm in the roof.  I would fit another rad on the front as well but I need the 3.5 drive bays.  If I went for 2.5ins drives, Is it possible to put a 240mm rad on the front and the bottom?

Lee*

Lee*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 222 posts

Hi Tbone,

What case is it you have 750?

Do you plan on watercooling your CPU as well or just the two graphics cards?

Look forward to your reply.

tboneisgaming

tboneisgaming

• Members
  • 8 posts

Hi Lee

I would be planning on watercooling CPU as well as both 7990's.  Not sure whether to do this as a single loop or dual loop solution.  I do have a 750D case at the moment, but I'm conemplating whether I'd need to move up to a 900D.

I'd use Corsair SP120mm fans and I'm looking for a Delta T of 10c Ideally.  However with a TDP of 850w to dissipate, I don't know how realistic this is.

If I went for a 900D I'd be looking at 2 x 480mm rads and a 240mm rad.

The other question I have is airflow with watercooling a system.  Do you still set it up to draw air into the case at the front and bottom with the exhaust going to the top and rear of the case? Would you have air cooling fans on the spaces where rads were not fitted to do this?

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

The other question I have is airflow with watercooling a system.  Do you still set it up to draw air into the case at the front and bottom with the exhaust going to the top and rear of the case? Would you have air cooling fans on the spaces where rads were not fitted to do this?

Correct, draw the cool air in through the front and the bottom of the case, and let the Radiator (usually in the roof) expel the warm air at the top and the rear exhausts to the rear. Doing this alone with good cable management inside will chomp a few degree's from internal temperatures, ultimately reducing your CPU and VGA card temps along with it.

tboneisgaming

tboneisgaming

• Members
  • 8 posts

Thanks Rob

I've been doing a little research.  I think a 900d build is what I will go for.  Probably looking at 2x480mm and 1 x 240 mm.

the 750d I'll use for another build project.  air cooled initially.

Incidentally I will be producing you tube videos of my work.

Hope I will be able to post links.

Kind regards

Tbone

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
This sounds like an interesting build, I' m looking forward to seeing it on YouTube. :)

ian.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users