Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Parts/fittings advice

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Ladies and Gents, 

My apologies for this query; I have in the past moderated technical forums, and know how tiresome dealing with the same type of question over and over can be. 

Sorry.....

That said, on to my enquiry.....

I recently assembled a new system using a BitFenix Prodigy-M case. 

Not entirely relevant, but the details are as follows: -

Case - BitFenix ‘Yin’ Prodigy-M

Motherboard - ASRock Z87M OC Formula 

Processor - Intel Core i7 4770K (4.2GHz)

Cooler - Zalman Reserator 3 Max

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz, 8GBx4

RAM heat spreaders - Arctic RC Pro

RAM cooler - Arctic RC fan module

Graphics card - HIS AMD Radeon R9 290’X’

PCIe card - Startech USB3 card with 19 pin internal header

mPCIe card - Killer Wireless 1202N WiFi/Bluetooth card

Optical drive - Pioneer slim BD-RE drive

Card Reader - Akasa AK-ICR-14 USB3 card reader

Drive bracket - StarTech SLIMCDFDCAGE

Boot drive - Kingston 120GB mSATA

SSD Drives - Samsung 500GB 840 Evo x 2

Storage drives - WD 1GB Velociraptor x 2

PSU - Silverstone ST75F-GS

Fans - Top      -          1 x Akasa AK059 120mm fan

1 x Cooler Master 120mm XtraFlo fan

Bottom -          2 x Akasa AK059 120mm fan

Back    -          1 x Corsair SP120 High pressure 120mm fan

Long story short, a lot of gear in a relatively small space, and so cooling is somewhat compromised. I have been able to achieve stable overclocks of 4.4GHz, but heat was excessive.

I am looking to improve the CPU cooling solution, but there is obviously no space for a full custom loop, and to be honest, while I have completed several builds, and used a few different water coolers, they have all been all-in-one solutions, so while I understand the principles of water cooling, I have no experience of custom loops anyway. 

I came up with the idea of assembling a 'sealed' AIO water cooler (for space saving and convenience) but using some aftermarket parts to improve performance. I have an old Corsair H80 water cooler that I switched from PC to PC in my early builds, eventually leading to one of the radiator mounting threads stripping, and I was considering using the Corsair pump/coldplate assembly, along with the tubing (though this could always be replaced), but attached to an aftermarket radiator. The BitFenix has 14cm fan mounting holes at the back, as well as the 12cm holes that I am currently using, so I intend to fit a thick, 14cm radiator to improve performance. 

Another consideration is that, to return the Corsair radiator for replacement, it has to be sent to Holland, and considering the cost of international parcel post, I may as well spend a little extra and get a better radiator anyway!

My parts list would be as follows: -

• Stock water block and hoses
  • Alphacool 140mm NexXxos UT60 radiator, or Phobya 140mm G-changer
  • Mayhems Ice Dragon nano cooling fluid
  • Monsoon silver cartridge anti-bacterial plug, and/or Pulse Modding kill coil
  • 2 x BitFenix Spectre Pro PWM fans

Finally to the questions - apologies for the long post, but I thought it best to provide all the details for you to take in to consideration. 

1. Would swapping radiators be a worthwhile exercise to get some value out of my damaged H80, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?
  2. Does anyone know what size fittings I should be using to fit the Corsair hoses (G1/4" threads on both radiators of course)?
  3. Other than the choice of fittings, have I forgotten any parts from my list?
  4. I know that personal preference will always play a part, but I'll ask anyway..... Is one of the above radiators considered to be better than the other? The raw specs seem to be very similar. 

Any information, opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
  1. Would swapping radiators be a worthwhile exercise to get some value out of my damaged H80, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?
  2. Does anyone know what size fittings I should be using to fit the Corsair hoses (G1/4" threads on both radiators of course)?
  3. Other than the choice of fittings, have I forgotten any parts from my list?
  4. I know that personal preference will always play a part, but I'll ask anyway..... Is one of the above radiators considered to be better than the other? The raw specs seem to be very similar.

-----------------------------------

Hey Uzeil,

Great first post welcome aboard! =D:

1, Yep the radiators they use in the AIO systems are not that great at all.. You will vastly benefit from changing that to something like the Alphacool 140mm or one of the new BlackIce GTS Nemesis rads, they are the slimline ones.

2, If the tubing you have is the ridge type, then don't re-use it it's pointless and you'll never seal it with a hose clamp properly. Go for some nice flexible 13/10 hose or 16/10 hose if you want to go for a more larger hose look. You can then use compression fittings for 13/10 or 16/10 compression fittings to properly seal the hose.

3, Are you looking to re-use the CPU waterblock from the H80 ? You would also benefit from changing the CPU block but it depends on your budget. The main performance increase will come from changing the Rad and the CPU block.

4, Personally, i'm liking the look and performance of the new Nemesis ones - we are featuring them at the moment and have some awesome pricing to go with.. I think the GTS 140mm single is also cheaper than the Alphacool you looked at and slightly thinner helping your situation.

We get emails through the site like this all the time, the Prodigy cases have been so popular it's kind of sparked its own revolution in Mini ITX systems which ultimately over heat if you have a high end GPU and Board in like yours.

Uziel Gal

Uziel Gal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Rob, 

Many thanks for your response - it is greatly appreciated. 

Yep, my H80 has the ridged hose, and I had a feeling that those may need replacing so no issues there. 

I would be looking at re-using the CPU waterblock from the H80, as I really need the combined block and pump unit to save space. I am aware that the Cooler Master Eisberg CPU block can be purchased as an individual component, which might be a better part than the Corsair block, but I think that it's height might become an issue. Are there any other combined block/pump assemblies that you are aware of that can be purchased as an individual item? If there is anything that would be better than the H80 block, and lower profile then the Eisberg, I'm all ears!

I'll have a look at the Nemesis radiators as you suggest. 

Thanks again for your time - you have been very helpful.

Regards

Stephen

ps - Will you be stocking the Mayhem nano fluid? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users