Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Advice needed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
Hi,
At the moment I'm building a custom designed desk with a built in pc. There will be no actual tower. I've currently got a corsair H90 cooler for my CPU but am struggling a bit for any decent air circulation for any of my other components.

Is it worth me trying a build a new loop for say my ram and gfx card and stuff like that and keep the h90. Or get rid of the h90 and have a new loop for everything.

I don't really understand watercooling or what exactly I would need for this.

Also would it be possible to cut the h90loop and add to that?

Thanks

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :D

Being a water cooling forum, we would of course advise that you take that option :)

If you're struggling for airflow across the motherboard and components, will you not have the same problem with airflow for radiators?

If you want to go the whole water cooling route, it is possible to cool the cpu, gpu/s, motherboard chipset, VRMs, RAM, HDDs and even the PSU. 

This would cost a small fortune and unless your airflow through the case is nil, then it's not necessary. 

What components will you be using, e.g. motherboard, CPU, GPU etc and for what sort of use? This will obviously determine how much heat will be generated that needs to be removed.

I would not recommend cutting into the H90 as it is a sealed unit and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get hose etc that fits.

Ian.

ian.jpg

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
Asrock extreme 4
I5 3570k oc 4.4
Evga gfx 660 ti sc
8 gb Patriot viper 3 2133mhz ram

I'm going to be over clocking and gaming.

I can get some airflow across the board but I wouldn't imagine it would be enough cooling I would need. Where as I can build a box to house a triple rad somewhere quite happily.

Money does seem to be the issue here though as from what I've seen this will cost a lot. Maybe a bit at a time?

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

To start with the H90 will do for your CPU and so long as the graphics card vents outside of the case then you should be ok.

Of course, if the graphics card doesn't vent externally then things could get pretty hot for the chipset and VRMs.

To help with cooling these components I would advise taking off the the motherboard heatsinks to remove the factory applied TIM (which is usually way to thick) and replace it with a decent non-conductive thermal compound. This is something I've always done and you can feel how much hotter the heatsinks are after!

Ian.

ian.jpg

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
My gfx card has a fan on the side and vents out the back.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Yup, I just checked some images of it and it wont be pumping hot air into the case. The only potential problem is being able to get enough cool air to the graphics card to prevent thermal throttling.

Have you got any pics of the desk build/design?

ian.jpg

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
I'm still in design stage and this is the only pic I've got as my pc is in bits and my mobo is off for repair. I have the 3 fan holes. I was thinking the pus intakes from the bottom and exhaust through the side. I'm thinking about boxing in the rad for the h90 but I'm struggling for exhausts out the back.

Attached Files

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Looking at you design I can see no obvious way to extract the warm air.

Are you restricted to the current dimensions or could you make it about 130mm wider?

I was thinking that the upper part on the right could be boxed instead of flat and open at the top so that it could act like a chimney flu. It could house 3 x 120mm fans for to pull the air out and this could also be a potential venue for a 360mm radiator.

Ian.

ian.jpg

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
The size it is on the right now is it's max as it is in an alcove and the alcove is 200mm deep so there is no reason why I can't do that. When you say 3 x 120 do you mean on top of each other?

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
Would you be able to draw on the pic to show me what you mean. I could then tell you if it could be done. I'm kind of restricted by space a bit and also my better halfs taste as it will be in the corner of our bedroom hehe. I need to make it look as much like a normal desk as possible but with my little tweaks in it :)

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

I've tried to draw an impression of what I mean with my very limited drawing skills and Microsoft Paint :/

post 45386 0 00784700 1390661261

ian.jpg

Bambe

Bambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
I see what you mean and that's a good idea but it would push the desk out of the alcove. But maybe I could put something like that behind where the monitor will be on the angle. It will just look like there's a back rather then having nothing at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users