Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Modding DDC 1T Detailed (Picture Heavy)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Guest_oc_masta_*

Guest_oc_masta_*
  • Guests
This is a VERY DETAILED AND PICTURE HEAVY GUIDE.

If your on a tight budget and cant go for the 18w version and if your in luck by having the moddable version of the 10w one. You may be able to mod it into the 18w version.
If you dont mind your pump f***ing up, then go for it. i personally did mind but i fully knew what i was doing.

WARNING:
This mod should only be carried out if you are confident in undertaking such actions in the guide.
This mod will VOID YOUR WARRANTY ON THE PUMP.
This mod is not recommended by WatercoolingUK in anyway, shape or form.
This mod is not guaranteed on all pumps.
This mod is undertaken under your own accord, I or the forums will not be held liable for injury or damages caused by anyone who undertakes this mod.
This mod might just ruin your pump, so make sure your ok with that. :-D

If your happy with the points highlighted above then by all means give it ago.

10w ddc-1t to 18w ddc 1plust pump Mod for Dummies

1. First of all your pump should look like this... dont try to do this to any old pump lying around. This is the Laing DDC 1t pro 10w.
Posted Image

2. Check the label to see if its the correct pump.
Posted Image

3. Flip the pump upside down, so the 4 screws on the bottom are visible.
Posted Image

4. Unscrew these in a X manner, slowly untightening each screw, so as to not put pressure on the other screws.
Posted Image

5. Once all screws are removed keep them to one side and it should look like this.
Posted Image

6. Flip it back over and remove the top of the pump which has the barbs on.
Posted Image

7. Make sure you dont lose the rubber ring which seals the pump, remove this and keep it to one side.
Posted Image

8. The pump that is able to be modded, should have a blue impeller. If so carry on by removing it, by just pulling it out.
Posted Image

10. Remove the motor from the housing. And flip it upside down so you can see the electronics board.
Posted Image

11. You should be able to see a small sticker with the pump revision on. Any ddc 1t thats 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3 should work. In this case its 3.3.
Posted Image

12. Take a look at this area on the board where the wires are soldered on. This is where we will be working. The 2 crossed will need to be bridged.
Posted Image

13. Once joined it should look like this. The points can be joined by a conductive pen, but solder is recommended to make a good contact for 18w to run through.
Posted Image
Posted Image

14. Thats it, now when putting the motor back into the housing make sure its in the right way so the wires come out of this groove.
Posted Image

15. Place the rubber ring and impeller back on.
Posted Image

16. Place the top back on in any orientation which suits you, but the barbs pointing away from the wires is recommended.
Posted Image

17. Flip it all over and place the screws in the holes and screw. Make sure you tighten in a X manner. So each corner is secured properly.
Posted Image

18. Observe the tops' seal, making sure there isnt any gaps that can cause leaks.
Posted Image

19. There you have it, 1 modded Laing ddc 18w Pump.

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts
This has already been done before.....?

http://www.watercool... ... php?t=1007

Guest_oc_masta_*

Guest_oc_masta_*
  • Guests
if it means anything,i just wanted to make a detailed one with lots of pictures to look at, for people who aren't maybe as knowledged in taking stuff apart like this. obviously i stated at the start of the post its not for those people, but thats just as a precaution, so they're weary to be careful

also i didn't realise it was already on the forums so it seemed a waste after writing it all up to just scrap it.

hopefully it may just benefit someone out there, in the slightest way.

im sorry if anyone feels as though im just copying other peoples work. that is not my intention.

if anyone feels as though similar threads should not be posted more than once, i will be more than happy to have it removed.

tinytomlogan

tinytomlogan

Level 10

• Members
  • 3,623 posts
It wasnt meant as a telling off dude! Just where you are new here incase you hadnt seen it!

Good guide though well done ;)

Guest_oc_masta_*

Guest_oc_masta_*
  • Guests
cheers mate,
just read my reply again, i sounded like a tw*t lol

i could see what you were saying, i dont know why i started writing that long explaination. I just sorta kept goin LOL

anyways, people who like alot of picys can get alot from it.

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
He PM'd me before hand askin if he could post it and as it's a lot more detailed that the other one I said yes :)

marcus.jpg

bustamove

bustamove

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
Looks good. I havent seen the previous guide btw so this is helpfull, though I have the 18v version anyway, but for furure reference, nice on OC. <thumb>
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
As i said on the other thread, you would have got a sticky for this but this mod does Void Warranty in a big way.

This has already been done before.....?

http://www.watercool... ... php?t=1007

Indeed, Robump who did the previous guide contacted me on MSN around November time to tell me his DDC had died and it was the 10W which had been modified to 18W (he will even confirm this himself)

He bought the pump with a 5 year warranty in June 07, modified it in June 07, and it broke in November 07 leaving him with a pump he cannot RMA.

5 months or 5 years, you decide :)

bustamove

bustamove

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

5 months or 5 years, you decide :)

Why does that phrase sound familiar to me? the you decide bit anyway.

I had a vision of you as a game show host for a minute there Rob.:lol:

This mod almost doubles the rated voltage for this pump so like OC said in His post. at your own risk.
Posted Image
Posted Image

ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
This does kinda seem pointless, as if you're willing to void the warranty on a £30-40 pump, to get it to perform as well as the slightly more expensive 18W one then you can clearly afford a new one, which begs the question, why not just get the 18W one.

Posted Image

E8400@4Ghz, 4GB OCZ Reaper PC6400, Biostar Tpower i45, Asus GTX275, Asus Xonar DS, 8TB HDD space, Logitech G15 rev2, Roccat Kone, Lian Li V2000

Guest_oc_masta_*

Guest_oc_masta_*
  • Guests
true say,

also considering the 10w, 18w and d5 are all bascially the same price now.
I found all of them for about 45 quid give or take a few quid thats it.

Card Nox

Card Nox

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I was also planning on performing this MOD on my future pump.
I heared the pumps are exactly the same only the 10W version has been 'underclocked'.
Don't know if Robump died because of the MOD or just because it was his time to go.
The price difference is about 30 euro I thought, will have to check this tonight.
Well atleast this thread made me more aware of the risk.
Nice guide anywayz :)

Guest_oc_masta_*

Guest_oc_masta_*
  • Guests
i agree with what your saying, his pump may have failed due to other reasons. i ve been using my pump like other modded ones for a while now with no problem.

Also the PCB and hardware in the 10w and 18w are identical so there is no reason for one to fail as they are exactly the same.
This is a production cost thing, its cheaper for them to make the exact pump but one with less current going to the motor and selling it for cheaper, rather than to design a new pump and new assembly. makes sense really.

therefore i see no problem with this mod.

and i wouldn't say its underclocked but underpowered.

thanks for comment aswell mate, much appreciated.

Card Nox

Card Nox

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Yes underpowered is indeed better to say.

What you are saying about the production benefits from producing the same pump and underpowering is 100% true.
The same thing happens with Philips remote controls. So if your expensive remote breaks down, just buy a cheap one, take out the PCB and put it in your old one. Offcourse the sizes have to match :).

I think a breakdown is just unlucky and not so much the consequence of this MOD, especially when done skillfully ;)

prosser13

prosser13

Gaffa tape and WD40...

• Members
  • 1,891 posts
There's another way to look at it.

Not all of the components used to make the pumps will be 100% good quality - there will be the odd few which do make the cut, and so cannot be used in the 18W. These may be the ones which are used to make the 10W pumps rather than throw away the parts ;)

Obviously, over time the quality rate will improve, but if the components are generic ones used in thousands of applications D-Tek may well be buying in the ones which fail for a cheaper price and using them in these pumps...
Posted Image

Card Nox

Card Nox

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
That's also possible indeed.
Think i will just use my pump in 10W in the beginning.
If I then don't like the temps then I can do the MOD.

EDIT: after some more thinking, how would they test is the pump is 18 or 10 W ?? When it's soldered you can't just unsolder it and make it looks like it's never been soldered before ;)

So i still believe it's all the same.

almighty15

almighty15

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Just like to add that if you want to test if this has worked simply plug the blue RPM sensor wire into the CPU fan header on your motherboard and look at its speed, if its reading ~4500rpm then its been successful as the 10w runs at ~3900rpm :)

Pablo

Pablo

Monster Hunter MK2

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
yeah it may not be worth it, but think of the extra modding fun you get...

Thats gotta be worth the extra cost when you blow it up :P

j.woody

j.woody

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
i have seen this before on oc3d, but is it worth saving £5 and screwing up the warranty? great mod though :)

Rincewind

Rincewind

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
depends, the chances of needing the warranty are very slim. but if it does break dont go crying to rob for a RMA, :-P
Now you will get ready for the zim zam and the babbidy bibbidy. and you will take off your clothes like zooofff zoom, and geat ready for the most magnificent pudding pop you have ever seen" - Bill Cosby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users