Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Household LED / SMD Bulbs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts

Bit of a random question but is anyone using LED / SMD bulbs in their homes?

I finally got my own place just before Xmas and obviously just trying keep the costs down as much as possible.

We've got 38 bulbs in the house.. a mixture of halogen and normal bulbs ranging from 30w-60w.

I've seen some 4w SMD bulbs on Amazon for £6.99 with hundreds of positive reviews so I'm thinking it might be worth a go?

38 x £7 = £266 :-k

Is it fair to say I'd see that money back within a couple of years providing the bulbs last their expected shelf life?

I think I just like shiny things! [-(

marcus.jpg

Lee*

Lee*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 222 posts

Bulbs grow in gardens [-Y

If you do get some make sure they are a good well known make as the cheap ones are a waste of time and money

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

I've been looking around for LED bulbs at a reasonable price and £8 - £9 per bulb seems to be about the cheapest. 

Not tried Amazon, but this place has a decent range.

Ian.

ian.jpg

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts

LAMP...

Not all lamps are bulbous :)

http://en.wikipedia....ical_component)

That is all :P

mark.jpg

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

Changed most of mine to this style of light about 6 months ago.. Roughly £8 per lamp..

EFA13E_1WebA1001001A11C18A02137H97710.jp

Not sure how much it has saved me, but the major down side i think is when you switch them on its very dark, until about 1min, 2min after and then they are brighter than normal bulbs..

LED's won't be like that though.. Instant bright (sometimes too bright)

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts

I've just ordered a couple of different sorts to try out in various light fittings.. hopefully it's not money down the pan!

Went for the 4w versions - I'm fully expecting them to blind me the second I switch them on! :-s

marcus.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

I was looking to replace some 50W 12v spots but not sure what the LED equivalent is, seems to vary from 6W to 9W.

Let us know how bright your 4W lights are.

ian.jpg

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts

Okay one of these landed today - 3w 58 SMD GU10 bulb

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

It has replaced a Philips halogen 35w bulb and the SMD is definately brighter - perhaps a little too much although it doesn't help that the light points straight at your face as you walk into the kitchen.

I'll buy and try a 2w SMD bulb next before splashing out to replace all 8.

I'll also try grab a picture comparison later but it's difficult on the phone camera with the stupid auto-sensor.

marcus.jpg

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I use this shop for any of my online bulb orders... http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com

I don't have LEDs yet but I am using T2 Helix or Linear Energy Savers throughout the house and I have had only one bulb fail before their life was up. The CFLs will dim over their lifespan but the LEDs won't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users