Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Need budget and spec advice on a new WC build

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Great, I appreciate the recommendation.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Your shopping list looks good to me.

As Packer says, the XSPC coolant is very good. I've used it in builds I've done for others and it's not gone gunky like some do, even after being unchanged for 2 years.

For my own rigs I use de-ionised water with a couple of drops of PM Nuke. It's much cheaper, especially if you change your loop around a lot.

Ian.

ian.jpg

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Thanks folks - order placed... and I got a heart attack at the total! All the little things sure add up, especially when you want half a dozen 90-degree rotaries, a dozen or so barbs and all the little tools and widgets needed to finish the job properly. And the Bitspower ones are so shiny!

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

My almost empty case is still staring at me while I wait for the last few bits to turn up but I have started with a few of the trickier parts of the build.

The CPU is in, the motherboard blocks are on and I have completed the short link of hose between the mosfets and the CPU. It was a mere 58mm of hose and the first time I underestimated how much the 7/16" hose would shorten when placed over a 1/2" barb. It is perfect now however.

The main holdup for me is actually that little valve that I ordered at the beginning of the month. As part of my drain, I can't build and fill the system without it... which means I can't clean and connect the radiators since they would start to go gunky inside due to the damp.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

And the build is finally completed. Thanks for all the advice on the forums folks - I really appreciate it.

The only significant hurdle I encountered was the tendency of the 90 degree rotary elbows to leak if there was any tension in the tube. They were leaking from the rotary o-ring, not the G1/4" fitting itself. I had to strip the loop down three times chasing seeping from the elbows and in the end replaced most of them with straight joints and re-jigged the layout to suit.

I am amazed at how quiet the final result is. The D5 pump is running on setting 3 and I am using the Nanoxia DS6 fan speed controller to run the 7 140mm fans at about 50% speed and the result with the case closed up is totally inaudible in a silent room.

I am pleasantly surprised at the temperatures. With everything at stock, I was reading 33C on the 780ti at load in the Valley benchmark so I think we can say the cooling is doing the job. Once I have finished migrating everything over from my Mac Pro, I will go through the ASUS Maximus VI Formula guides and get this baby set up for overclocking.

Key points : Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 case, Corsair AX860i, ASUS Maximus VI Formula mobo, Intel 4770K, 16Gb Corsair, Asus nVidia 780 Ti reference, EK blocks throughout, 2x Samsung pro SSD (with one more to follow), fittings were all Bitspower 1/2" barbs.

Here are a couple of glamour shots of the DS6...

NanoxiaDS6Front.jpg

NanoxiaDS6Back.jpg

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

You've done well there mate.. Looks really nice.

With regards to the leaky fittings, they shouldn't leak! at all! so if you've bought them from us please request an RMA so we can get them replaced for you.

Bitspower very rarely leak, i think we've RMA'd maybe a hand ful of fittings for that problem in the 5 years or more we've been selling them.

Keep it up :)

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Thanks Rob.

I have four of the 90 rotary elbows which are no longer needed for this build. They are all out of the packaging and have been tested with deionised water. If you wouldn't mind, I can send them back for inspection and appropriate refund since I have replaced them with straight fittings.

I will fill in an RMA ticket and we can see what you think when you get them back.

Daniel.

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
Should be no problem.. i dont deal with RMAs but im sure we'll get you sorted

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts

Really tidy build that mate, you've shoe-horned a lot of kit in there without it looking cluttered! :)

marcus.jpg

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

This was one occasion where an oversized case helped. The DS6 is huge. Believe it or not, that is a full ATX motherboard in there.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Very nice build you've done there  :thumb:

A huge case is great for watercooling, I loved the space in my PC-A77 and TJ07, rads galore :D

Ian.

ian.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users