Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Need budget and spec advice on a new WC build

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Sadly my build is on hold at the moment as my first DS5 case was a lemon with three faults - severed wiring on the fan controller where the fascia had pinched it during assembly, a twist to the frame of the case so that it rocked, even with the side panels on and poor adhesive on the soundproofing on the main side panel causing the sound proofing to peel off. Ah well - a Friday job as they say. It will be going back to QuietPC tomorrow for exchange.

I have been looking at the case sidewall for tube radiator mounting holes and they seem to be pretty thin on the ground. Is it usual to have to drill cases for these kinds of fittings?

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

Hey Daniel,

That's a shame.. Sounds like it was maybe damaged in transit either on the way to you on on the way to QPC.. They should replace it no problems though at no cost to yourself.

With regards to the tube reservoir mounting, if you wanted to mount this on the side of the motherboard tray or side panel unless you bought yourself a Silverstone or Lian Li case, they are quite thin and made of mild steel often powder coated.

Silverstone and Lian Li side panels are around 5mm thick, they are monsters on the more expensive ones.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

There are some mounting holes for the oversized E-ATX motherboards that I can enlarge and then can make another to anchor the top of a slightly longer tube. I will have the choice of mounting the tube higher up or near the bottom.

Ignoring the picture of the lower drive cage which is likely to be removed, it is currently looking like this (I am not sure if I can fit the drain in the lower front rad so it is just a "maybe" there...

EDIT - image removed as it is not possible to fit the top rad.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Scratch this plan - as I have just posted in the Compatibility forum, the DS5 WILL NOT FIT a 280x30 radiator with two 140x25mm fans at the top if your motherboard has ANYTHING on its top edge. In my specific case it fouled the ASUS ROG shield, the ASUS MOSFET cooler and completely obstructed both AUX power connectors.

It MAY work with a 240x30mm top radiator because of an increased offset between the radiator mounting hold and the motherboard.

I shall be paying for the Deep Silence 5 to be returned and will upgrade to a Deep Silence 6 which WILL fit. I can then have a top 280x30 rad with push/pull 140x25 fans and a front 280x60 rad with push/pull 140x25 fans and still have room to spare.

I will update my build pic after the weekend when I have ordered the DS6.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Fitting rads in a case is always the limiting factor in case choice. Years ago most of us had to mount the rads externally.

Hope the new case fits the bill :thumb:

ian.jpg

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

The DS6 is freaking huge! It has so many drive bays in a single stack that I am considering taking out all the sliding dividers and putting the 250mm reservoir upright in there. I will play with the parts when it all gets here.

There are some excellent pictures on the Nanoxia main site. The Anthracite version has the best pics.

It is currently looking like this. I am considering putting the 280x60 rad up in the top with push/pull fans and the 280x30 in push only on the side of the drive bays which will give more room for the 250mm tube reservoir in the main cavity. Failing that I will see how it goes in the 3.5" drive section providing I can get to the fill port. I may attach a hose with an end cap up there for ease of access.

EDIT : Image removed as case returned

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 case is on the way back to the place I bought it for refund and I have a new, larger Deep Silence 6 shipping to me as we speak.

I know we can't talk about competitors, but is nice to know that there are still smaller online retailers in the UK who really value customer support. Every shop I have bought components from in the past week or so has made me feel happy with my purchases.

Once the case is here I will do a dry fit and post an image for comment and suggestions. While I could certainly fit a 280x60 as the front rad, I suspect it will make fitting a tube reservoir a little trickier so I am likely to stick with my current 280x30 as the front (with the other 280x60 on the top) to allow me to re-purpose the mounting holes from oversized motherboards.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Sheesh - I don't believe it. The Deep Silence 6 is on its way back too.

There was damage on a corner at the rear where part of the frame had been levered up with something, damaging the paintwork on the frame and door and the side door was totally jammed and could not be removed. I have asked the supplier for a total refund and will reconsider my case.

It has not been my week!

EDIT - the more I look at the damage, the more it appears someone else has had this case before me and tried to lever off the stuck door. Let's see what the supplier says tomorrow.

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

Did you manage to see if the case would support your loop before it went back at all ?

Would be a shame to order a replacement Deep 6 and then find it was also too small :/

We do quite a few custom builds in the Corsair 750D, maybe worth a look but we also use a slim line radiator up top like the Magicoool SLIM or the BlackIce Stealth both are around 28 - 30mm rather than the larger 40-50mm Radiators.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I couldn't get the side panel off to check anything - it was totally seized along its front edge

According to the manual (which is more complete than the DS5 one), the DS6 will support a 360x60mm in the top with push/pull fans because it also has a 48mm offset from the motherboard. I suspect that from the diagram, a 280x60 may be a squeeze in push/pull because the offset will drop to 28mm but it may still be enough.

The front bay will take a 280x60 with push/pull but I will be using that mounting in push only because I want to fit a reservoir onto the motherboard tray in front of it and I want some extra clearance.

I should be getting the replacement case on Thursday so hopefully I can do my fitting then. I may have to swap radiators out but as "Customer Service" wrote on my ticket 7074, an exchange for a different radiator should be no problem as I have not filled these radiators - they have only been dry fitted to a case.

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts
Aye if you bought the rads from us.. We've no problem.if ypu want to exchange them :)

By the sounds of it.. 60mm in push pull will cover about 95% of all 360 radiators on the market bar the Monsta ones from Alphacool.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Good news - now that the DS6 is here, I can see that I do not need to exchange either of the radiators.

I will be using the 280x30 as the front radiator leaving plenty of room for the tube reservoir to use the pre-drilled super-sized motherboard holes and I will be putting the 280x60 up top as the primary radiator. I will do a dry fitting of all main parts tomorrow and get a fresh picture of the interior so I can plan my bends and fittings requirements.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Here is the current build layout and I would appreciate some help selecting the fittings as I don't know what the bend radius is for 7/16" ID / 5/8" OD tubing.

BuildPath.jpg

RESERVOIR - barb == 90-swivel - PUMP
PUMP - barb == barb - CHIPSET
CHIPSET - barb == 45-swivel - GPU
GPU - barb == barb - MOSFET
MOSFET - 90-swivel == 90-swivel - CPU
CPU - barb == barb - TOP-RAD
TOP-RAD - barb == 90-swivel - FRONT-RAD
FRONT-RAD - 90-swivel == 90-swivel - RESERVOIR

PUMP DRAIN - barb == barb - tap - plug
== FILL PORT - RESERVOIR

I may be able to replace the elbow on the RES - PUMP connection with a barb but I think that one will be a bit tight. I think the CHIPSET to GPU elbow is correct but unsure as to whether a 45- or 90- is needed. Maybe the GPU to MOSFET needs a 45-elbow. Do you think the MOSFET to CPU can be done with a pair of barbs and a good bend? The elbow entering the FRONT-RAD is probably right but the exit to the RES might be a barb on both ends.

I would appreciate comments.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
Personally I'd rotate the top rad with the barbs to the rear of the case and run the hose from the grsphics card to the top rad. Fron there then to the cpu, from the cpu to the lower mosfet fitting then from mosfet to front rad.

This should increase the cooling efficiency of the front rad and give an easier route for the hose.

Ian.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

ian.jpg

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

The MOSFET - FRONT-RAD would cross in front of the tube reservoir if we did that but I could see how it looked with a dry fitting. Tube is cheap after all.

As for radiator order, various opinions state that radiator order doesn't matter until you get into multi-GPU setups where you are often looking at twin loops anyway. The temperatures will equalise throughout the loop to within a couple of degrees. We have surplus cooling for this setup since the rads are 280x60 and 280x30.

I will do a fresh mockup in Photoshop because I do like the tidiness that turning the radiator would give to the top left of the case.

Cheers.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Actually flipping the radiator is a good idea - I have to bear in mind the enormous depth of the case and radiators. The rear connectors are roughly in line with the motherboard blocks and the front connectors are roughly in line with the graphics card. I would probably route it like this...

BuildPath2.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

That looks better to me, the only struggle may be the very short distance between the mosfet block and cpu block.

If that space is to small for two 90° fittings then I'd change the route to go from the top rad to the cpu then on to the lower mosfet fitting then from the upper mosfet fitting to the front rad.

Ian.

ian.jpg

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Looking at it with the motherboard in front of me, it should fit... it is a HUGE case and that is a full ATX board but I will have a closer look when I have the fittings in front of me. I can turn the CPU block 90 degrees which will give a little more distance if needed.

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I am about to place an order for the following bits'n'bobs and would appreciate a quick sanity check before hitting the shop...

Tubing Cutter (Alu)

ATX Bridge plug

EK-RES X3 150 Reservoir

Pump decoupling foam

Bitspower G 1/4" temperature sensor

Hose - 7/16" ID / 5/8" OD - White 2m

Bitspower 1/2" barbs - silver

Bitspower 90deg rotary - 1/2" barb - silver

Alphacool 5/8" clamps - silver

WCUK valve (for the drain)

Bitspower G 1/4" end cap (for the drain)

M3 x 6mm screws x8 (to fit top radiator to case with fans in push)

I also need advice on coolant - clear for preference. I am guessing 2L allowing for the odd "oops". It looks like my choices are Alphacool, Aquacomputer,  Phobya or Innovatech clear 1L?

I will be rinsing the rads with locally source DI water.

Packer

Packer

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 2,318 posts

We sell lots of XSPC coolant , its a best seller :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users