Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Anyone Mining ?

12 replies to this topic

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

We've had so many emails regarding hardware for Mining rigs in the last 6 months it's just crazy!

There must be some of you guys up to this, tell us what your up to and show off your mega rigs.

We may even be getting some of these in soon... :)

DSC_4319.jpg

DSC_4389.jpg

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts

I'm tempted to. I've got a spare A4/5970 rig that's not doing a lot. 

mark.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

I did have a look at this about 18 months ago and it seems that you have to have some pretty good hardware running 24/7.

Decided that it wasn't for me what with the cost of electricity nowadays.

Ian.

p.s. what are the big silver water blocks for in the first photo?

ian.jpg

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

I had to ask them that question, as i'm not 100% myself on the mining hardware..

It's for slots of small boards filled with ASICS chips which make contact with the plate instead of the conventional aircooling you get in the tower. Pics below:

DSC_4321.jpg

DSC_4329.jpg

DSC_4381.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

WOW, that's definitely not gear for the 'casual' miner. I'd hate to think what the setup cost of that complete rig would be!

ian.jpg

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

We'll soon have them on the site for sale, the Watercooling kit on it's own and the full setup including the mining gear.

Watercooling Kit would be around £230

Full setup including the Watercooling Kit would be around £2.4k

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a35b924c3

Not for the faint-hearted, however the amount of cooling we've sold for the rigs in the last 6 months has been pretty crazy, people just seem to be throwing cash at it.

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts

Do you guys have any good links describing what's involved in Bitcoin mining? Just wondering as I don't know much about it so hoping someone already have some good info..

My Blog => http://adriank.org

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Have a look at this article which describes why the folks who make the bleeding edge of mining gear don't use their own product to do it any more... they just sell the product to the likes of us for more cash than it will make by the time it is delivered to you... http://www.forbes.co...ry-three-weeks/

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts

That's actually a really interesting article. Think I'll give mining a miss, lol. 

mark.jpg

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Having done a bit of reading about this, it looks like the best bet for mining on consumer grade hardware is with Litecoin.

A couple of Radeon HD 7970s are able to make a profit at the moment.

ian.jpg

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts

Enough to cover the cost of a couple of 7970's? :)

mark.jpg

Rob*

Rob*

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 6,131 posts

The 7990's have caused a bit of a stir as well, most VGA block manufactures like EK, XSPC was about to EOL the product as sales were pretty poor, but in the past month they have picked back up so they put them back into production lol :P

Writing this from the new forum template, i got to say i quite like it.. Few changes to be made yet though before live :)

DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Mining can be cost-effective if you are on a fixed Utility Bill. If you are paying for your own 'leccy then it barely breaks even now I think.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users