Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

dual cpu cooling need help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

HAJFAJV

HAJFAJV

• Members
  • 4 posts

Hello forum

This is my first post and I post because I need help with liquidcooling my pc.

any ideas what to get; radiators, pumps, block etc. would be appreciated

Spec -

Xeon E5530 8 MB

Xeon E5530 8 MB

GeForce GTX 480

GeForce GTX 480

eVGA Classified SR-2

DD **Double Wide Tower** - 21 Black Series Edition

edit - motherboard was incorrect

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :D

That's an interesting system you have there and with that case you've got no problems with space for radiators etc.

Are you just wanting to water cool the CPUs  or are the GPUs to get the same treatment?

More importantly, what's your budget? The price of water cooling can rapidly get into nose bleed territory :)

For the CPU blocks you need ones that are compatible with the socket LGA 1366, like this at the budget end or for performance and looks the XSPC RayStorm.

The radiator choice is very much a wallet issue. If you are going for low temps and low noise then it's a case of as much radiator area as can be squeezed in, but as a minimum for the 2 CPUs I'd recommend a minimum of a 3 fan radiator.

For the pump my recommendation is a Laing DDC Ultra with either a reservoir top or a top with a separate reservoir.

That's just for starters, on top of these you need to consider the hose, hose fittings, fans (possibly a fan controller) and coolant.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

ian.jpg

HAJFAJV

HAJFAJV

• Members
  • 4 posts

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :D

That's an interesting system you have there and with that case you've got no problems with space for radiators etc.

Are you just wanting to water cool the CPUs  or are the GPUs to get the same treatment?

More importantly, what's your budget? The price of water cooling can rapidly get into nose bleed territory :)

For the CPU blocks you need ones that are compatible with the socket LGA 1366, like this at the budget end or for performance and looks the XSPC RayStorm.

The radiator choice is very much a wallet issue. If you are going for low temps and low noise then it's a case of as much radiator area as can be squeezed in, but as a minimum for the 2 CPUs I'd recommend a minimum of a 3 fan radiator.

For the pump my recommendation is a Laing DDC Ultra with either a reservoir top or a top with a separate reservoir.

That's just for starters, on top of these you need to consider the hose, hose fittings, fans (possibly a fan controller) and coolant.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Thank you ;)

Yes the system it self is just something I have to try, and hopefully I won't have problems with space ;)

I would like to cool both GPUs aswell, but I don't know what's good. from my perspective it's confusing with all the different parts. I mean what is better the 20$ waterblock or the 80$ waterblock, from what i read on the store sites most of them are made of copper and the different lies in the way the tunnels inside are cut. and that to me doesn't say weather it performs 300% better ;)

(so any site comparing these different items pros and cons, and most importantly why its a pro or con. that would be extremely helpful).

About budget. I want it to be as quiet as possible, but I don't want to spend a 100$ on 1-2db less noise if it's already acceptable if you catch my drift.

The CPU Blocks you talked about both look fine to me, thats the issue i adressed earlier without any previous experience in this field, it can be mind numbing to look for differences. My brain tells me not to cheap out, but how much edge will the Raystorm have over the budget block.

About radiators. I was thinking from the start to get at least 3 Black Ice GTX 480 but that was just because I thought I would utilize my case best possibly. so if you say both CPUs could run with an earlier model and just one, I would assume Im golden if I stick with my solution :)

As for pumps I have no idea how much power it takes to push water through all these units, but that's down to math in the end.

And the reservoir I'll just get something huge, that fits inside of course ;)

Your comments help me a lot, not just the specifics items you listed but also just having someone else take a look and sharing his thoughts on the matter. thanks Ian :)

HAJFAJV

HAJFAJV

• Members
  • 4 posts

Wow didn't even know I used so many smiles when writing

HAJFAJV

HAJFAJV

• Members
  • 4 posts

I changed the motherboard in the first post, since it was not even close to what it should be. copy paste sometimes screw with me :)

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Hi,

the differences in performance between cpu water blocks is about 5°-7°C at full load in favour of the more expensive blocks (cpu temp approx 8-10% higher with cheaper block).

This isn't a massive difference, but if you run the cpus at full load for extended periods or you will be overclocking them then the lower temps of the dearer  blocks may tip the balance in preventing the cpus from throttling back the speed as the temp threshold is reached.

For the GPs then any full cover block will be suitable as performance is so similar across the manufacturers. Most people choose on looks. I could only find THIS for you graphics cards.

Your plan for the radiators is pure overkill and I love it :D

Just 2 of those rads would do an excellent job though!

The 18W Laing pump I linked to would cope easily with the blocks and rads, although you might consider running 2 loops, one for the cpus and one for the gpus :)

this would require 2 pumps and 2 reservoirs,

Ian.

ian.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users