Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

GPU+waterblock advice needed.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MopiGothi

MopiGothi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Howdy!

I'm trying to find something that Google in its infinite wisdom seems unable to tell me. Almost as though the manufacturers never thought of, so never listed it as a specification so there's nothing to match with a search... hmm

Most graphics cards are two slot affairs, but I have a MicroATX motherboard, and want two cards - and a soundcard.

So I started looking for cards that only take up one slot - fine if I want something not capable of running the current games.

But of course, whack a waterblock on a card and suddenly it's single slot right? Well, rarely as in their "wisdom" manufacturers put on power connectors that are two slots wide, and a second DVI connector also making it too wide.

So... I thought Watercoolinguk,co.uk might know a thing or two about waterblocks... so I came here.

Right.

Per card budget is approximately £200 (if I eat noodles for a whole months maybe £300)... 

Needs to be as gaming capable as possible - and overclockable 

But also needs to be able to be single slot when using a waterblock...

Any combination of Card and Waterblock that works is cool, I don't have any brand affiliations to worry about, but I do want the maximum graphics potential from the thinest package possible.

I have been sifting the entire internet for this, each time I find a card - can't find a waterblock to fit, or if I can find a block it's got two slot wide sockets...

£300 monies (so faaaar end of affordable and makes waterblocks another month away...) in the right online shop gets a KFA2 GTX680 with only one row of ports narrow power sockets but can't find anything that says it fits block-wise... or I tracked down some Asus 7870 cards which as version 1 would have cut down to one slot - but nowhere has them in stock anymore and only the version 2 exist - they have double width sockets...

Thanks in advance, I've a credit card aching to buy stuff, but don't want get stuff that wont do what I want the way I want...

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Hi,

welcome to the forum :)

If you don't need the latest card, then Scan have the "1536MB POV/TGT GTX580 Beast2 Watercooled" for £191.50 which has all the output sockets to one side and comes with the water block installed, so keeps nicely in budget!

On the AMD side they do a Scan branded HD 7870 with the layout you want for £164.40.

At the top end of your budget I found an HD 7970 with the right layout foR £287.75.

HTH,

Ian.

ian.jpg

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

I got a 580GTX with a block fitted.Fantastic Card.

Sorry to say,but the AMD sollurion is a no go.

I've bough the 770 gtx 4GB and it is a massive improvement,on my 580.

Best card ever,so get this and you will be suprised,LOL

Andy

MopiGothi

MopiGothi

• Members
  • 3 posts

I got a 580GTX with a block fitted.Fantastic Card.

Sorry to say,but the AMD sollurion is a no go.

I've bough the 770 gtx 4GB and it is a massive improvement,on my 580.

Best card ever,so get this and you will be suprised,LOL

Andy

Ok, so why not AMD? As far as I was aware, more AMD cards exist which can be made into single slot cards in my price range... 

MopiGothi

MopiGothi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Right, slight update...

In order to stay in budget and not starve, I'm thinking of a HD7950 - £220 monies, and an awful lot of potential for clocking under water...

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Good choice of card.

Seen an overclocked MSI HD 7950 for £185.

Ian.

ian.jpg

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Ok i will revise my comment,that card Ian suggests is a cracker for performance and  money.

I'm just a green corner fan,so always defend them  :roll:

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users