Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Can anybody repair this?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

just wondered hopefully in the next 12 hours if somebody could tell me if they could do a repair on this? Im asking 12 hours because im watching an auction.

I have no skills at soldering etc.

Attached Files

Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon View Post
LEARN TO READ AND HAVE PATIENCE BOY!

~Bex

halox

halox

• Members
  • 12 posts

Yes, but I noticed I am too late.  Sorry.  Keep this for future reference though.

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

well , can you give me a bit of info as to how you would fix it?

Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon View Post
LEARN TO READ AND HAVE PATIENCE BOY!

~Bex

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

sorry mate, only just noticed the post, the biggest challenge would be identifying the missing component on the left, the only way would be to find a good reference image of the internet to do that, as you can see from existing components resistors and capaitors will have an identifying number that relates to their value.

The ideal way to effect a repair would be to use a hot-air rework station. You can get these on ebay starting from around £40, basically it just uses a hot air stream to melt the solder and reflow the joint. If you have a look through my usb interface thread in the projects there are a few pictures of one in there.

The other less-ideal alternative but it does work reasonably well for simple components such as resistors/capacitors is to use a low powered (saw 18W) soldering iron with a fine-point tip, and some rework flux, just dab some flux onto the PCB pads, place the component and heat the joints, the solder reflow will be aided by the flux and you will get a good joint.

Just incase you decide to get any kit for future to do your own repairs the basic kit you need is just:

• Hot-air rework station
  • fine tipped tweezers
  • suction holding tool (if you want to replace chips)
  • solder paste
  • rework flux
  • solder wick (for removing old solder)

The only real downside with using solder paste though is you'll need to store it in the fridge once its opened otherwise it hardens in the syringe.

Hope this is of use mate :)

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts

You should have tried PM or E-mailing Kenny404 if he's still kicking around.

marcus.jpg

davetheshrew

davetheshrew

• Members
  • 6 posts

I know a few that could do this with solder paste

blackdevilmt

blackdevilmt

• Members
  • 8 posts

I know a few that could do this with solder paste

There's no guarantee it would work tho but looking from the date I think he already updated his vga 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users