Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

PC interface mod

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

We will be waiting for any update,got used to the waiting around in here lately  8-o)

Andy

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

haha, just checked on the tracking number with Changhwa Post (they sound reliabiel dont they :) ) and my item is currently in Greece and has been there for about 2 weeks :(

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
lol it must be having a holiday before coming to yours. they sound better than royal mail :-)

Andy

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Right, well I got fed up with waiting for it to turn up so fired up the design software and got the etching stuff out and made my own design one in the end.

This is what I needed:

breakout1.jpg

Also gave me a chance to try out my new toy

hotairrework1.jpg

hotairrework2.jpg

Before anyone says anything, that is my sons bed cover and not mine...honest :)

Its a hot air rework station, allows me to easily solder/desolder tiny surface mount parts, a lot easier than conventional soldering, you just use a syringe of solder paste, place blobs on the pads, place the component and heat the pins and voila...you get something like this:

soldering1.jpg

So I'll get that hooked up in place of the big chip, program it up and try it out :)

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts

nice bit of kit,makes soldering look very easy.

Good luck with the next step.;)

Andy

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

cheers, need all the luck i can get, money might be a problem, so ive got until next payday to get it sorted. Unfortunately while on my speed awareness course I managed to break a tooth so not only have i had to pay £97 for the course but now i'll have a nice dentist bill to go with it :(

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
ouch, that's gotta hurt.

need to keep your pearly whites. :-)

Andy

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Just out of curiosity, how do you break a tooth on a speed awareness course?  :-s

ian.jpg

Packer

Packer

WCUK Staff

• Administrators
  • 2,319 posts

Going too fast  ? :)

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hahaha, to be honest I havnt been to the dentist since I was about 14 so it was only a matter of time. Mind you on the course they didnt seem to impressed that I turned up wearing an Isle Of Man road races 2013 T-shirt :D The  annoying thing was I got caught by average cameras that have been there for years and ironically if i'd been on the bike I wouldnt have been caught as bikes dont have a front numberplate.

Progress is going well now on the mod, fully tested using the "proper" chip and everything works as expected, making a few tweaks to get the temperature readings more stabilised as the sensors seem a little prone to interference but thats hopefully an easy fix, board design is pretty much done now so hoping to send design off to the fab-house in the next week or so :)

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Just to let you all I havnt given up since I havnt posted on this for a while. Design is finished now :) and I made it fit to 100 * 80mm

Here are a few pics of the design finalised:

Top Layer of circuit board

pcb_design_final3.jpg

Bottom Layer of circuit board

pcb_design_final2.jpg

Complete design including both layers, silkscreen printing, soldermask layers etc.

pcb_design_final1.jpg

A 3d representation of the board showing top view

pcblayout1.jpg

3d represenation of bottom view

pcblayout2.jpg

The design has been sent off today to Jackaltac to get a one-off manufactured, looking around 17-20 days to have it delivered as it will be manufactured in South Africa. Hopefully next time I post will be to show pics of it all working and not to say I screwed something up on design or sent them the wrong stuff :wink:

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts

Well thats some impressve detailing work.

Looks like a football plan that Fergie did LOL

Andy

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

lol, I did realise after I sent the Gerber exports that I forgot to run the silkscreen print correction script on it. So I might end up with a perfect board with the print overlay being completly wrong but since this one is just for me it doesnt really matter too much :)

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Well, the day has finally arrived. Was dropped off in the post earlier.

propcb1.jpg

and the rear view

propcb2.jpg

All ive gotta do now is assemble it, load the firmware and get it working then fitted

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Looks great  =D:

but does it work  :?:

ian.jpg

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
Ooohh the suspense is killing me lol. Should work, as predicted ;-)

Andy

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Lets hope so considering having a one-off cost just over £40 for the board :)

Hopefully will part-assemble it tomorrow so i can at least load firmware and test USB as I'm waiting for some solder-paste to be delivered as mine had somehow dried out

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

So onwards to a bit of assembly, few of the tools used:

smdtools.jpg

Hardest bit done, soldering that 44 pin chip:

assembly1.jpg

assembly2.jpg

assembly3.jpg

Lost the MOSFETs (go in the empty spaces) somewhere on my workbench (understandable since its a total mess). However got enough done to actually power it up and load my firmware in to test the USB comms out etc, however ran into a problem. Connected the programmer to the ICSP port and it detects 4.9Volts fine but doesnt identify the chip so refuses to program it, ive probably done something silly like maybe got D1 the wrong way round or similar so need to do a bit of fault-finding, normally this sort of problem with these chips is a poor connection from the chip to the PROG/DATA/MCLR pins so possibly Ive screwed something up.

Hopefully it wont be some major design flaw that renders the board useless :(

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

That soldering must take a steadier hand than mine :)

I'm sure the problem will be something silly and easily fixed, that's normally the way!

Ian.

ian.jpg

vitesse

vitesse

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Attached File  assembly3_1.jpg   449.58KB   2 downloads

Yep, got a diode the wrong way round, working fine now, just uploading the firmware and then a bit of tweaking...more to follow soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users