Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Advice needed for new case/water cooled system

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Hey guys,

I've been out of the PC modding scene for a while, its now time to delve into water cooling. My goals are to have a sleek powerful system which will, (to some degree), be much quiter than my current fan/dyson setup.

I have had an amazing CoolerMaster case for nearly ten years and have built four different systems with it, Im not overly stuck on keeping with CM but I would like to again invest in a very well construted case that will have some longevity.

So my first question to this build would be, what case would you reccomend? I was currently looking at the Corsair 650, but I am undecided to whether I go midi or full tower.

Oh, price isnt really an issue as I will be buying parts gradually over a month or two. Im not a massive fan of 'busy' cases, ie strike-X, aerocool and thermaltake. The sleeker the better.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Love the forum :)

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts

Hi,

welcome to the forum  =D:

Cases the hardest thing to recommend as there are so many styles.

The first thing to look at is the price, what is your budget?

My main rig is housed in a Lian-Li PC-A77, which is basically an enormous slab sided affair but has room for 2 360mm rads inside. Too plain for most people tho.

Ian.

ian.jpg

Aaron

Aaron

There's ALWAYS room for a quad rad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Lian-Li would probably be good if you're looking for minimalistic(in terms of "stuff" going on)rather than features. Top quality build, packed full of clever little features but doesnt LOOK overcrowded.

Corsair cases are quite similar too. From what I've seen quite well built so definitely a good choice.

If you are wanting a quiet setup, definitely go full tower so you can maximise the amount of radiator space you can fit in.

Project 'S'

Cosmos S - i7 920 DO @ 4Ghz - Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GTX 275 - 6Gb OCZ Gold 1600Mhz
PA120.4 - XSPC DDCBAYTWO - HF Nickel - EK FB

I love chicken chargrills

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Thanks for your input guys, I've been a fan of Corsair gear for a long time and I think I have chosen the case now. It was going to be the 800D Obsidian, however, due to the imminent release of it's replacement the 900D, I thought I might aswell go for the newer model. Always looked at Lian-Li just never made the jump to any case that caught my eye.

As Aaron has mentioned i'm looking for a quieter set-up, so this mamoth full tower should qualify :wink:

I've nearly settled on all the components, bar the water cooling setup I will need. I'm thinking a kit, as this is my first dive into water-cooling (pardon the pun), There are so many variations i'm a little overwhelmed. I would rather pay for better quality, but I dont want to go overkill and get something that's not going to be used appropriately.

So any advice to get me started would be greatly appreciated! I will not be running SLI just yet, but potentially in the future. Its massive case so room shouldn't be an issue, I want to cool both the CPU and GPU, I have no idea on just how noisy the rad's can get but one of the reasons I am heading away from fan cooling is for less DB's. Again, I'm a total noob at water cooling but I'm doing a lot of research so I dont screw it all up.

Look forward to any responses I get!

Regards Cab

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Hi again!

Right serious time now, I almost have the parts required for my new build. Most importantly I have acquired the Corsair 900D case for said build. This thing is so humongous I could probably use it as a box room.

Now my primary goal is to liquid cool the CPU and GPU, single GPU at the moment but will eventually go dual.

What I really need help with is choosing the right liquid materials, this is my first attempt at LC and I want to do it properly, I don't mind spending a little extra to get better gear. This is where I need some advice, as I have no idea on the best brands and what will be most suitable (part wise) for such a huge case.

Any help would be awesome!

Cab

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,148 posts

Surprised to see that there ain't many great builds on the net.

This is was my Lian Li V2000,,which is quite the same size.

049-4.jpg

Such a big case but no quality builds out there,well i can't see any yet.

Then again,i'm looking through one eye,(drink)

plenty of builds to choose from on the net.

Just an example of what you can achieve :wink:

If i had this case i would of done a master piece,ooooh yeeaah.

http://www.overclock...-ek-watercooled

http://forum.corsair...ad.php?t=118771

Andy

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Thanks Andy,

I have actually already marked that overclocked link ;) but the new build one on the corsair forum is certainly interesting.

My real issue is that I want great quality watercooling gear, but my system as of yet, is no where near the level of that dual titan gpu beast. I have yet to decide on the mobo anyway. It will be a single gpu and so my problem is what do I buy, how many rads should I get, what brand is best(and why), any recommendations on pumps or reservoirs, or do I go dual pump/res. 

This is the help I really need. I was going to buy a kit, but I would like to make it a little more unique. I don't really just want to copy someone else's build just because they have the same case though. Especially if I have no idea about the parts they chosen for WC and why.

All responses will make me smile!

:D

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

You are definitely making the right choice going for a custom loop. I bought a prebuilt kit when i first started, and i didnt have it for long so it was pretty much a waste of money.

Component wise you need:

CPU Block. XSPC Rasa is the daddy atm I believe, looks awesome too. Get one to fit your socket...

GPU Block. Bit trickier. Google "ek cooling configurator" and go through the process to find a card that has a suitable block.

Pump. Recommend a DDC Ultra. If we're going for quiet, we want as much radiator space as possible so a pump to handle the flow.

Reservoir. Absolutely personal choice. Bay res, tube res....your call.

Radiators. As many as your case/your wallet will allow. Personally recommend Thermochill but they don't come cheap.

They are the main "large" components.

Other than that you need hosing, and hose fittings(both of the same diameter, i recommend 3.8" ID - 5/8" OD). Coolant. Lots and lots of fans to go with your radiators. Fan controller. Etc..

Project 'S'

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Thanks for your reply Aaron,

I will be aiming for 'as silent as possible', so thank you for taking that in to consideration with the Pump. This was one of the parts I was concerned with most, as I obviously want the 'flow' to be adequate for my current build and then have the option to expand later.

I am still a little confused to how many Rads I should go for, I mean it seems the more the merrier but obviously if I am buying quality I cannot afford it all in one go. I am finally realising that a fan controller is going to be essential now so I better start looking at what the options are. I have seen some people are using fans on both sides of the Rads, is this essential? I have already starting purchasing fans for case, looks like I will need to carry on and get more lol.

I'm currently holding back on certain parts like hose fittings until I choose Mobo and select the colour scheme I want.

Thanks again Aaron, I will be documenting this whole build with images once I dive in.

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Good stuff. We like to see pictures. Not built a PC for a couple of years so it's nice to help and watch.

With regard to fan arrangement, there is a whole host of debates and threads on the subject. Whether having fans push or pull through a radiator, or in push AND pull configuration(both sides of radiator as you said) is the best.

As long as you get decent fans to match the radiator youll be fine with any setup. :)

Project 'S'

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

Well, so far I had already started buying the newish, Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed's. I have noted a lot of others buying the Corsair SP120's for the Rads as they are specifically designed to work in that fashion, so I was just going to buy some of those (Quiet Ed's again) for the Rads.

I have looked into the Rads a little and I think i'm even worse off than I was to begin with, the more you research the harder the decision is. 

As for the pump it seems there are a few variations of the Laing DDC, with different power etc, and also different after-market tops to combine it with. So I will concentrate on that right now. 

This was the one you suggested right?

http://www.watercool...p-18w_7044.html

This is the after-market top I was thinking of combining it with;

http://www.watercool...etal_38248.html

And this is the Res I was thinking of;

http://www.watercool...voir_38148.html

So does that look ok? Still reading on Rads lol Can't wait to get all this in one photo, if I can  [-X

p.s thanks for all your help so far, wouldn't even attempt this without the support!

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,148 posts
look forward to seeing your creation. :-)

I've been using this pump/res combo in most of my builds for ages. love it. :-)

http://www.watercool...ervoir_394.html

Andy

Kalisto

Kalisto

• Members
  • 8 posts

I'm starting to get a headache reading the differences between certain pumps, radiators and accessories. However, this will not stop my OCD buying tendencies.

I actually like that pump/res combo you suggested Andy, but for some reason I just prefer the EK-RES x3 250ml - http://www.watercool...voir_38148.html

What I really want to know is the main difference (advantages/disadvantages) other than l/ph, of the Laing DDC1T+ Ultra and the D5 Vario/Fixed pumps.

Rads - I have decided to spend the money and get two of these Thermochills - http://www.kustompcs.../info_8997.html (means minimum, 8 more fans lol)

Any advantage to choosing 3.8'' ID - 5/8'' OD over other sizes with tubing?

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,148 posts

to be honest,iv'e had so many pumps and reservoirs and they all did the job well.

Just comes down to style,cost and room in your case for your build.

Bigger O/D tube give better flow and is more flexible,for them tricky bends.

Them Radiators are top quality,will do you proud.

Andy

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Welcome to this lovely forum Kallisto.

hope you are like a sponge as theres a lot of knowledge in this place ;) 

Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon View Post
LEARN TO READ AND HAVE PATIENCE BOY!

~Bex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users