Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gigabyte 990FX UD5 Vdroop issue with Bulldozer help?

OC 8120 GA-990FX-UD5 motherboard Vdroop Combat Help Overclock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

abcmaster

abcmaster

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Hi Guys,
I know im always asking questions to my catastrophic experiences with technology haha...
But anyways, I bought this motherboard thinking 'Yeah ill get my overclock better' as i was already at 4.5GHz with my previous gigabyte 970 chipset motherboard for AM3+ processors and, me, buying into the whole advertising ploy actually believed that this new 990FX UD5 motherboard which was 'Engineered' with bulldozer in mind would be awesome...
Turns out. Its not, in fact im barely managing to get a 4.0 GHz clock on Multiplier with auto voltages set because if i go 0.1 Ghz over 4 it crashes when loading the windows splash screen.

Now im thinking this could have something to do with the whole issue with no Load Line Calibration on this Bios yet (i say 'yet' with a burning anticipation that gigabyte bring out a bios update) and this is causing my system to be unstable. i darnt give it too much juice (entering red values on volts) because im thinking that the higher the voltage the higher the chance for a more detremental fluxtuation that may be very bad to my system

it runs very stable on the 4.0 GHz clock when on max load only giving out a max temp of 30 degrees with my watercooling so im thinking that too high temperature for clock is out of the window.

I was wondering if any one has got this motherboard and the bulldozer 8120 and has managed to compensate for the Vdroop or whether im stuck praying to the tech god that Gigabyte bring out a new bios revision and stop this motherboard from being completely useless

or maybe the motherboard i have is faulty, it was from an open box sale.
"She said she was hot for me, so i gave her a spare heat sink. She didnt seem happy :( I just don't understand women." — MrRoboto1024.

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
You say you've left the voltages on auto with this board but did you do this with the old board?

While it's on auto I can't really give any helpful advice because the board is selecting the CPU voltage and may change it depending on the load. Some boards do this pretty well and others are hopeless which I think is what you're suffering with. You really need to be setting the voltages manually so that you can better control what is happening and make your OC stable.

Best bet is to google for OC's using the same board and CPU to see what sort of OCs they got and the settings used.

Ian.

p.s. what processor do you have?

ian.jpg

abcmaster

abcmaster

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
had a look on google man cant find anything with any values, erm i did use my own voltages but then realised that it is stable on auto at a low clock of 4GHz, erm i dont really need any advice on overclocking because i know how to overclock, i have also thouroughly put this processor through quite a few tests, i just wanna know if any one with my motherboard and processor have acheived anything higher than a meagre 4.0 GHZ (my processor by the way is the AMD Bulldozer FX8120) becuase i just need to know whether im wasting my time trying for a higher clock when its the motehrboard that is restricting me not my processor.
"She said she was hot for me, so i gave her a spare heat sink. She didnt seem happy :( I just don't understand women." — MrRoboto1024.

abcmaster

abcmaster

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
i would never use ato voltages for any strenuouse clocks as this isnt advantagious at all, i did find a guide on overclocking useing fsb, multiplier and the voltages but this was with a UD7 board (and whilst the writer of the article said this can be applied to the UD5 and UD3, i dont think he knew that LLC is available on the UD7 and not any of the cheaper boards such as the 5 and the 3) he was acheiving clocks of 4.7

abcmaster

abcmaster

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
got a message from gigabyte basically telling my that my board is a REV1.0 well... this means there is no hope for load line calibration due to it being held back by 'Hardware' (120 quid motherboard... this is enough to produce that vomit taste in ones mouth) well i guess in anger i sort of solved my problem... i just couldnt give a duck and i gave it 1.7volts of juice, along with my PLL volatage at 2.7 volts... this gave me a very stable clock at 4.5 GHz as vdroop cause the voltage of the Vcore to be at 1.45volts... i have no idea where that 0.25 volts is going but it was undervolting my CPU this was just an out of the blue value so im gonna back track and see whats the lowest voltage i can acheive at least i know its capable of being stable,... even if my Electric bills are not.

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
Well at least you've learnt a lesson.I'm sure someone on the net will find your efforts worth it ;)

Andy

abcmaster

abcmaster

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
yeah just using them voltages i have been able to get it to a stable 4.7 it can probably go higher, but i will need to optimise my voltages as the temp is at 51 at full load, and its stable on prime for 2 hours which to me is adequate, because on previous clocksive done with different CPU's even when it lasts on prime for about 2 mins its perfectly stable in game/desktop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OC, 8120, GA-990FX-UD5, motherboard, Vdroop, Combat, Help, Overclock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users