Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Motherboards, CPUS, Ivy Bridge

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
ok, so i am currenlty sat at home on a saturday night listening to some heavy drum n base getting a bit drunk of Disarano and Coke, waiting for the stupid credits to finish rolling on Assasins creed brother hood as i have just completed "jumps for joy"

Ok so, i am getting a bit hacked off with my best mate talking about there new bull dozer chips and how amazing they are and how ATI and going to kick intels chips out the water. Ok, so maybe he might be right for the mean time... but i am an intel fan boy.... i think ATI and just rubbish, regardless of what anyone says, Now, i am running on an XFX 790I Ultra mobo using a Q9550 OCed to 4.0 GHZ now my stystem is stable, and kicks arse in so many games and in new games eg Crysis 2 and battlefield 3 beta, now i am getting a constant 100 FPS and no lower.... my mate is upgrading to the new bulldozer chip this year when its out.... now i want to prove to him that INTELS chips are still better... and i am not sure how to do it... hence why i am here :)

i am not sure what mobo to go to, but i want to stay with EVGA boards (not sure if thats a good or bad idea) but i just love EVGA (again EVGA fanboy ) so i am thinking do i wait till the "ivy" bridge is out next year running on 1155 socket (YES SAME AS THAT CRAPPY SANDY BRIDGE) or do i think about getting my self a very good I7 and a nice 1156 board. now my also other picky bit is a want a full mobo waterblock....... hence why i am posting this on this forum :)

so any thoughts much appreciated :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU = I5 2500K Oc'ed to 4.7
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
MOBO= Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3
PSU = 850 xFx Black Edition
Mem = Mushkin Redline 2133MHZ 9-11-10 28
Case = TJ07
Cooling =Custom Water Cooling
Display = 27" LED 3D Samsung monitor
HD = 90 OCZ SSD
HD Storage = 1TB Samsung + 500GB Seagate
OS Windows 7 64 Bit Home Edition

Peri
7.1 Surround, Rat7 Mouse, Razor Lycosa Keyboard, iPad 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
Well i am waiting to see what comes out next year.I ain't going to decide until they bring out these new PCI-E 3.0 graphic cards and mobo's to match.
It looks like the Bulldozer will miss out with PC-i 3.0.so it will be ivy bridge for me..;)

Andy

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

ok, so i am currenlty sat at home on a saturday night listening to some heavy drum n base getting a bit drunk of Disarano and Coke, waiting for the stupid credits to finish rolling on Assasins creed brother hood as i have just completed "jumps for joy"

Ok so, i am getting a bit hacked off with my best mate talking about there new bull dozer chips and how amazing they are and how ATI and going to kick intels chips out the water. Ok, so maybe he might be right for the mean time... but i am an intel fan boy.... i think ATI and just rubbish, regardless of what anyone says, Now, i am running on an XFX 790I Ultra mobo using a Q9550 OCed to 4.0 GHZ now my stystem is stable, and kicks arse in so many games and in new games eg Crysis 2 and battlefield 3 beta, now i am getting a constant 100 FPS and no lower.... my mate is upgrading to the new bulldozer chip this year when its out.... now i want to prove to him that INTELS chips are still better... and i am not sure how to do it... hence why i am here :)

i am not sure what mobo to go to, but i want to stay with EVGA boards (not sure if thats a good or bad idea) but i just love EVGA (again EVGA fanboy ) so i am thinking do i wait till the "ivy" bridge is out next year running on 1155 socket (YES SAME AS THAT CRAPPY SANDY BRIDGE) or do i think about getting my self a very good I7 and a nice 1156 board. now my also other picky bit is a want a full mobo waterblock....... hence why i am posting this on this forum :)

so any thoughts much appreciated :)

might want to check your facts there, the 1156 motherbord are the old i3, i5 and 8xx i7(unless I'm mistaken), the good i7(9xx) as you put it are the 1336 motherboard. the current i3/i5/i7 use the 1155 motherboard.

not sure if evga will be releasing a 1155 motherboad that'll support pci-3.0, ivy bridge has the pci-e 3.0 controller while sandy bridge does not(so even with a mb that supports pci-e 3.0 you only get pci-e 2.1 with a sandy bridge cpu).

I've recently got the asrock extreme7 gen3 which is ment to be pci-e 3.0 ready for when the ivy bridge cpus are released(they also have a few other gen3 models), msi also have gen3 models and asus recently announced their gen3 mbs(current models bios update to support ivy bridge but no pci-e 3.0 sli/xfire just single card in primary slot as the current controller used in the 2nd/3rd/4th pci-e lanes don't have pci-e 3.0 support). gigabyte also announced ivy bridge/pci-e 3.0 bios upgrade but msi seem to disagree with gigabyte that the current gigabyte mbs have the capability for pci-e 3.0 support.

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
I wanna start with "LOL.... you wanna show him Intel is better, then call SB crap"

:D

Next.... AMD Vs Intel fans...... I would say "grow up"

Bulldozer is currently looking to be a mess

SB-E has PWM problems (not enough space thanks to the memory slots, so early boards are burning out)

IB will have all the same multiplier limits/problems/inconsistencies as SB unless Intel introduce straps (can current boards handle that? I dunno,) so the performance jumps will probably be quite small

Clarkdale is still surprisingly strong in the power Vs power consumption Vs price stakes.

Edit: Apparently IB does have BCLK straps. This is very good :D

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
Well the oracle has spoken.:D
i ain't got a clue what it all meant,but looks like i won't be updating for ages then.:wacko:

Andy

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
hmm, i am still not sued on what to do, either to think about getting a sandry bridge bouard, as the ivy bridge will have the same socket as the SB or do i wait and see what comes out next year, my mobo is start to bottle neck :( but also these MO BO's look alright

LGA2011

http://www.legitrevi...article/1746/1/

is it worth waiting for these????

i am all confussed at the moment :( so i am sorry if this is a sketchy reply..... doesnt help that i have just woken up...
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
Case = TJ07
HD = 90 OCZ SSD

Peri

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
funny how your mate says the bulldozer is the best, TTL just ripped the thing to peices and gave it no awards at all.

you even have amd users saying they are moving to intel lol
Originally Posted by Elemental_Dragon View Post
LEARN TO READ AND HAVE PATIENCE BOY!

~Bex

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

funny how your mate says the bulldozer is the best, TTL just ripped the thing to peices and gave it no awards at all.

you even have amd users saying they are moving to intel lol

lol seriously..... i am going to have to check this out and put it in his face :)
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
Case = TJ07
HD = 90 OCZ SSD

Peri

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts

Is TTL tiny tom logan ?

Andy

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
yep

he pretty much said, if you are already setup for the chip then go for it, but if not.....well dont waste ypour money..

which to me is saying its rubbish and go to intel lol

~Bex

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
intel it is for me then.only next year though ;)

andy

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
i have a question though, and sorry to hijack the thread.

with the claimed 3690x extreme going to be nearly 50% faster than their 990x extreme and the fact it only support sandy bridge. i take it it wouldnt work on the new bridge coming out next year? and if not, would they be creating one for the new bridge.

~Bex

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
ES leaks are putting the hex-core X3690 as "a hexcore SB" in terms of performance. The octo-core SB-E might be heading towards 50% faster, but at "OMFG money"

The X3690 will NOT be compatible with SB boards. It'll go into the X79 boards (the ones with RAM slots on either side of the CPU)

Ivy Bridge will get new boards, but a reasonable % of existing boards will support it, but possibly not the full-feature set

Oh.... and SB-E (X79) runs HOT. Chips are doing around 5GHz with air/water, need cold for more

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
well i cant really see it as omfg money since the 990x 2 years ago or less was 800£ mark and its estimated the x3690 will be 999$ which is around £670. so for near 50 % faster experince, you getting a bargain.

so with the x79 boards, whats happenign with them, ie like sandy bridge now having the ivy bridge coming. anything worth noting thats coming after the x79?

or should it just be a case of staying with the sandy bridge and the 990x...but saying that the 990x wouldnt be able to run on the ivy one would it

just thought that since i feel this video is helping whilst i watch it and is i think answering some questions, it could help others

~Bex

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
The 980X launched at ~£800..... $999 converted to £, then add r/etail markup and now 20% VAT.

The thing to note here is THE X3960 IS NOT REALLY THE TOP-END CHIP, but will be the $999 chip. The octo-core will be MORE. Remember the QX9650 Vs the QX9770? ;)

The X5687 is £1200++ and its just a 4C/8T server chip that *happens* to work in desktop boards. The octo-core will be the same.

If i'm wrong, we're all pleasantly surprised by cost.....nothing worse than that.

Mathewlisett

Mathewlisett

Level 10

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
oh i thought it was , and just by seeing the top chip that was shown stated via tech update channel (tigerdirecttv)

~Bex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users