Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Which new camera?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Lauben

Lauben

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello all,

Well seeing as I am doing a new build and the fact that our first holiday with our first born is almost here I am after a new camera. I already have a Nikon DSLR (D40 :rolleyes: ) and to be honest it works fine and dose produce some great picture with a little bit of work, but like many digital and non-digital SLR's it is rather cumbersome.

So i figured I can sweet talk the wife into letting me spend some of my hard earned money on a new toy :-) and due to the decrease in size it would be a lot easer to take with us out and about to capture pic's of the little one. I have so far been looking at the following but would really like to get your vies on the matter:-

Panasonic Lumix G2
Panasonic Lumix G3
Sony NEX-5
Olympus E-PL1

Have I overlooked anything? which one should I go for?

Many thanks for the help.

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
a canon 600d? ;)

but seriuosly are the panasonic that much smaller than the d40?

would say you're better off spending money on a new lense for the d40.

swift_wraith

swift_wraith

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
the D40 is probably one of the smallest D-SLR's on the market, I upgraded from a D40 to a D90 and its almost double the size.
As fowler says, a new lens may help, if its due to the size then a 50mm will work wonders on reducing that but you'll be restricted to a fixed zoom (I have to admit tho, i love my 50mm lens - my last 3 images in the cool photos sections were with a 50mm).

If you're looking for a compact camera, then you cant go wrong with the Canon G12, my mate has one and its really good. 10mp, 28-140mm, can shoot RAW as well as jpeg, plus can do video up to hi-def. Downsize is that due to being a compact it only has a 1/1.7 ccd so you'll notice pixelisation in the higher ranges. Prices range from £350-£400
Intel Quad 8200, 2gb Corsair Twin X, DFI Lanparty Jnr, XFX 260 Black Edition, 2.75tb of Samsung Spinpoints, Corsair HX1000w Psu, Coolermaster Cosmos-S case, Generic 19" Monitor, Logitech G15 & Razr Diamondback.

Lauben

Lauben

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
To be honest it was as much for the wife, she can't really get to grips with the D40 and the need to tweak it to get the best pictures. I love my camera but I also like toys and a new camera may reignite my passion for photography.

I'm drawn towards the G2 at the moment as it seems to be a good blend, it is smaller than my current but still has a view finder (which for me is a real bonus and was putting me off the NEX-5 and E-PL1) and is cheaper then most of the other on the list. It also has a very nice auto mode which my wife likes.

Lauben

Lauben

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Right well I am now the new owner of Panasonic Lumix G3 :rolleyes: I was all set to get the G2 but my wife talked me into the more expensive G3 :blink: anyway I am due to go on holiday to now so I will have a chance to take some pic's with the new camera and post my results.

swift_wraith

swift_wraith

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
your wife talked you into something more expensive?!?!?! Can I swap her for my OH when I next get a camera upgrade, if she could talk me into laying down £3k for a Nikon D3 then that would be grand.
Intel Quad 8200, 2gb Corsair Twin X, DFI Lanparty Jnr, XFX 260 Black Edition, 2.75tb of Samsung Spinpoints, Corsair HX1000w Psu, Coolermaster Cosmos-S case, Generic 19" Monitor, Logitech G15 & Razr Diamondback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users