Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

cut acrylic properly??

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

porkus

porkus

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
right what blades for jigsaw and what other tools shud you use to cut an acrylic side panel?? the blade i used kinda put little cracks around the edge and chipped the zcrylic :S
Posted Image

freshage

freshage

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts
ummm, i think you need a realy close cut blade, and even then, you want to be sanding off around 5mm worth off the edges to get the smoothest possible finish with a arch like edge. as for other tools, it always helps in my opinion, to place olive oil around the cuts and rub it in before you sand, i have no idea why, my dad showed me this, and it just gives a much better result, slows it down, but gives a nice finish.

chris
Posted Image

Bigdavegrrr

Bigdavegrrr

IS BACK! MWHAHAHAHA!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
Yeah Fresh is right you want a really fine toothed blade (an aluminium blade will do if you cant find a plastic blade) and use some lubricant (Tapping Oil if you can get some but I spose Fresh's olive oil would work too <duno>).

As for the chipping: Do you have a Jigsaw with a pendulum action? If so switch it off. Also what thickness acrylic are you cutting? If its under 2mm then you need to sandwich it between thin bits of MDF or ply wood and cut through the whole sandwich. If you have a jigsaw with variable speed the experiment on a scrap piece to see what speed gives you the best cut (it varies between different acrylics, thicknesses, jigsaws and blades).

Cover the whole thing in masking tape and make sure it is clamped down to a solid surface and have as little poking over the edge as possible, dont push the jigsaw through let it slowly drift through with a tiny amount of pressure.

HTH :)

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts

Cover the whole thing in masking tape

Yup don't learn the hard way.. mask off the entire piece!!

marcus.jpg

porkus

porkus

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
kl kl thx for the help guys. i was using a blade that supposedly cuts pvc lol but it also cuts wood so i think the teeth were too big :S

but ill give this all a go
thx lukey
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users