Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

new monitor

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
looks like my current montior(24 inch hyundi w240d its 3-4yrs old) has caught the case of the heat 'shivers/shakes', the screen shakes/lots of verticle lines making it hard for me to see(normal use is ok but games can't see a thing) happens when the room is hot ok when its cool. it happens in ps3 games as well(has a hdmi input so I play my ps3 on it as not got a hd tv), I've tried the ps3 on the hd tv in my parents room and it ran fine. need to try my old monitor(a 10yr old 17inch tft) to make sure the graphics card isn't causing it(tho if it was the ps3 games wouldn't have been effected). it was fine last year during the summer.

any suggestions for a decent 24inch monitor with dvi and hdmi? I've had my eye on the 24inch dell u2410 but at £400-£500 its expensive(prob should have payed the extra £100 or so and got the dell model at that time), also read good reviews about HP LP2475w.

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
This is a good 24'' monitor,nice price and FREE Delivery as well ;)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174584

Andy

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
If you are on the budget, this is the best screen money can buy...http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169099

My Blog => http://adriank.org

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
Ok Adrian you win :D

Andy

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
I got this Samsung monitor and it's been excellent. It only has HDMI inputs but comes with a DVI to HDMI cable.

ian.jpg

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
I'm tempted by this have a code for 10% off(expires on wednesday) so ~£280 plus using quidco can get another 10% off so under £260, only thing is it doesn't have hdmi connection which I want for the ps3.

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
hmm no replies since ianf.

really tempted by the u2711 for £500 from ocuk http://www.overclock...rodid=MO-051-DE but its only 1yr not normal 3yrs warranty, according to the ocuk head honcho on the ocuk forums these are unopened returns. apperently the price is being increased by £50 today, still like £100 cheaper than a 'new' u2711 with 3yr warranty.

other than my lack of a job there are a few things stopping me hitting the buy button

1) only 1yr warranty as mentioned;

2) the warranty is through ocuk not dell

3) the warranty is through ocuk not dell

4) the warranty is through ocuk not dell

5).... you get the idea :)

getting this would mean my poor 5850 wouldn't be able to handle high details at native res, would need to upgrade it or get a 2nd 5850 for xfire.

I can get an extra 1yr warranty for free but would involve using my parents visa debit card, their bank account offers a 1yr extended warranty for electrical items if you register the item with 90days of purchase. my mum would have a go at me for buying the sub £300 u2412, she would kill me for spending £500 on this :)

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
I was going to buy that monitor,but i went for the 30'' instead.Bit the bullet and never regretted it.
As you don't have a job and money is tightish,then it's a tough decision,as they are great monitors.
That warranty is a bit of a question mark,as it must be faulty somehow.
you could get it for £570 from Ebay with 3 year warranty.
http://www.ebay.co.u...1&_qi=RTM796045
Tough call mate,but there are other monitors out there. ;)

Andy

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
would love a 30inch monitor but the £1k price plus needing a top end graphics card is a bit rich for me even while I had a job :)

thinking about getting the the u2412m and maybe getting 1/2 more in the future :)

if I do go the u2412 route will need to use the hdmi to dvi adapter to connect the ps3 to the monitor, 5850 has a displayport connection so will need a displayport cable to connect the pc to the monitor(have read about acitive/passive displayport cable/adapter and what no, what do I need for connecting the pc to the monitor?).

is the u2410 worth the extra ~£200 over the u2412m?

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
stick with the u2412m,there both ips panels,same specs nearly.
never had a AMD card,so don't know about your cables.
Good luck deciding ;)

Andy

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
u2410 for £390 so ~£130 more than the u2412m once I get cash back through quidco(takes a few months, could end up not getting it), need to decide asap as only 3 being sold and the listing ends on wednesday. its £48.34 cheaper than on amazon

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
I went for the Dell U2711 in the end for £570 from ebay instead of the u2410 or the u2412m :)
it initially said 9 available but when I looked now it said 2 available/4 sold so they removed 3 so some reason, now that 1 bought 1 its the final one left(no mention of 1 available 5 sold).

i have a 5850 so wouldn't be able to have the settings on high in the newer games(and crysis obv :) ), get a 2nd 5850 or just wait a few months for the new amd and nvidia gpus to be released?

mum will kill me as she told me to use the old 17inch tft I have until I get a job but I couldn't resist :)

as its through ebay I hope there isn't any issues in me getting the monitor or once I get it finding out that its a refurb or the 3yr warranty isn't valid for whatever reason.

the £500 from ocuk people have started recieving them and seems its eu leads and in some caes the dvi-d cable seems to either missing or swapped for a single link dvi(ocuk will be sending out uk lead and dvi-d cables so not a big issue) a, 1 person even said theirs had a 'nick' on the monitor(tho that looks to be exchanged as there shouldn't be any damage on the monitor).

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
I couldn't resist and have bought 2x these was £225 earlier today and I had them in the basket but didn't checkout and when I came to order them at 9pm the price has cone up but I still went ahead(scan ha them in stock but its £236 so £12 more if I got 2), come with dual bios and 1 is modified so the shaders maybe unlocked to effectively give a 6970.

was planning on waiting till the new amd 7xxx series and nvida 6xx series but as I said couldn't resist it(next upgrade is i2500k, 8gb ram, asus p8z68-v pro/asrock extreme 4 gen 3) :)

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
Nice little set-up you got there buddy.Will be nervy about doing the bios flashing.never tried it,so good luck.;)
Can't go wrong with a Dell,good choice.Have you asked Kenny about his 2500k,could do you a deal.

Andy

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Nice little set-up you got there buddy.Will be nervy about doing the bios flashing.never tried it,so good luck.;)
Can't go wrong with a Dell,good choice.Have you asked Kenny about his 2500k,could do you a deal.

Andy

don't need to flash the bios to unlock the shaders, the toxic already comes with a pre-modified bios just need to flick the switch from the standard bios to the modified bios.

kenny is selling the i2500k for £145 can get new for a tenner more, if he can reduce it further than might think about it :)
not sure on the motherboard asus p8z68-v pro or asrock extreme4 g3(or anyone got another suggestion).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users