Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Make Aluminium smooth on edges

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

colin-slater

colin-slater

• Members
  • 15 posts
Hi all, thinking about making a case out of aluminium and am just trying to locate all the parts I need up to now. If I use aluminium, say for the top of the case, then the edges will be rough even if I do file them down etc... Is there a way to make them smooth like on a new case - will powder coating it make it smooth on the edges???

Thanks in advance
WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA!

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts
Powder will reduce the sharpness but not to the point you can't cut yourself lol
Are you planning on using laser cutters to get some of the parts done? Laser leaves almost perfect edges, otherwise is sand paper and a file time! :unsure:

My Blog => http://adriank.org

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Fine wet and dry works for me after filing it.

colin-slater

colin-slater

• Members
  • 15 posts
Yeah was going to file it and sand still anyway. Is there a way to bend the metal round like on a top panel which will make it still look good.

Thanks
WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA!

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Smooth it off with wet/dry up to around 1200 grit and it'll be smooth as anything!

As for bending, it depends how thick the material is that you're using really?

marcus.jpg

colin-slater

colin-slater

• Members
  • 15 posts

Smooth it off with wet/dry up to around 1200 grit and it'll be smooth as anything!

As for bending, it depends how thick the material is that you're using really?

Was thinking about getting 1.5mm thick is this too much for quite a strong case and will it be able to be bent?

Thanks for your reply.
WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA!

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,147 posts
Welcome o/
If you need help with some parts, i get can get them done for you.
Got a laser at work,press brakes and any metal you need,well not titanium :D
If your like Tom Portsmouth,then getting your tools out and grafting is the way to go.;)

Andy

colin-slater

colin-slater

• Members
  • 15 posts

Welcome o/
If you need help with some parts, i get can get them done for you.
Got a laser at work,press brakes and any metal you need,well not titanium :D
If your like Tom Portsmouth,then getting your tools out and grafting is the way to go.;)

Andy

Thanks for the help. If I get the sheets of metal at 1.5mm and cut them to size, would you be able to bend them at the ends.
Also do you think 1.5mm is fine for laser cutting and will the case be quite sturdy. My plans are to get angled aluminium and put together the frame, then I will get a I/O Shield from an old case I have and mount that in the back. It's only the top and front I think I will need bending round the edges as they will be fixed. Also for the sidepanel, I have some black aliminium with small holes dotted on it, but I might get some aluminium and bend the edges to that so I can screw it on the case, but the only problem I have is how will the case side stay on if you get me. There will be nothing at one end to lock it into place.

Also don't suppose you have any Gold spare where you work, that would be some case then lol :)
WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA!

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,147 posts
Depending on the size of the ally sheets,you need, i could get them and bend them at work.
Have you done some drawings to show your design.
1.5 is perfect for case building.I used it on my TJ07 when i modded all the panels.
Do you have the tools to fold the ally in your shed.
All you have to do is drill and tap some holes in your ally frame,then drill 4mm holes on the fold of your side panel.Simples :D

Andy

colin-slater

colin-slater

• Members
  • 15 posts

Depending on the size of the ally sheets,you need, i could get them and bend them at work.
Have you done some drawings to show your design.
1.5 is perfect for case building.I used it on my TJ07 when i modded all the panels.
Do you have the tools to fold the ally in your shed.
All you have to do is drill and tap some holes in your ally frame,then drill 4mm holes on the fold of your side panel.Simples :D

Andy

Well first I need to do the frame out of angle ally. I have done a sketchup design, but don't know how to use it all yet. Will upload it tommorow for you to see.

Was thinking 500x500mm is the max size i will need, but can i buy the ally myself and mark all out the bends and the outline for laser cutting. Going to stay in Scotland for a week this saturday and when I come back I will get the frame built and mark out on the ally where I need everything to be.

How much do you want for doing this for me?
WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA!

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,147 posts
Hmmm,marking the design on the ally panel,is not the way i do it.You have to do an Autocad drawing,then the laser will cut it out on the panel.
If the design is not to complicated,i could draw it up in Autocad and you can see if it's ok.
I think it would be best if i got you the metal,as them shops rip you off,plus you would have to post it to me.
PM me about prices,I'm very cheap,well the people who i have helped think so.:rolleyes:

Andy

colin-slater

colin-slater

• Members
  • 15 posts

Hmmm,marking the design on the ally panel,is not the way i do it.You have to do an Autocad drawing,then the laser will cut it out on the panel.
If the design is not to complicated,i could draw it up in Autocad and you can see if it's ok.
I think it would be best if i got you the metal,as them shops rip you off,plus you would have to post it to me.
PM me about prices,I'm very cheap,well the people who i have helped think so.:rolleyes:

Andy

Right, if I design it on sketch up then will that be ok. Will publish the sketch up in a week as going away to scotland tommorw. It's basiacly a frame like:
Posted Image

Then fixed aluminium on the top front and back. Then removable side panels and a fixed aluminium sheet for cable management and to put the mobo on. If you could design it on that software you've got and put what you've drawn on here it would be appreciated. Thanks.
WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users