Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Atlantis v1.5

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
Last weekend I had the joy of moving Atlantis into a new Coolermaster Sileo chassis, as well as expanding the storage from a 1TB RAID1 (1 x F1 and 1 x F3) to a 2.7TB RAID5 (4 x F3) and installing a new CPU cooler courtesy of our own Mr. Bentley.

The W/C for Atlantis disappeared a long time ago when the motherboard needed to be replaced and I couldn't be bothered (and couldn't afford) to re-fit the tubing, but the core of the rig is still the same. The case and cooler has been re-used to form my parents' media PC, as well as the 1TB F1 as it would have slowed the RAID array.

On with the photos:

Posted Image
Old and new cases, ready for transplant

Posted Image
Motherboard and monster CPU cooler fitted (Xigmatek Thor's Hammer)

Posted Image
Case cabled up (yes, I know it's messy, but try getting all of that into a case with no cable routing!)

Posted Image
Front shot of hot-swap bays - bottom two slots are unused spares - can only fit 4 drives on my RAID card (LSI 9260-4i)

Not really that interesting but hey :)
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Are these SATA racks made by StarTech? I always tend to stay away from dual fan designs especially 2 x 40mm which sounds a bit noisey...

Power to these is delivered per drive basis which can get messy cable wise.

How you finding temps? Plastic always attracts more heat as opposed to metal/alu.

And finally why 3in3s? 5in3 is a bit more space efficient and allows usually 80/92mm single fan.

My Blog => http://adriank.org

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

re these SATA racks made by StarTech? I always tend to stay away from dual fan designs especially 2 x 40mm which sounds a bit noisey...

Yeah they're StarTech bays, I did have a look around before buying them and they seemed the best for the price - I'm not that fussed about looks and the fans aren't that loud, the whole rig is pretty much silent, you can barely hear them with the padding on the panels of the Sileo :)

How you finding temps? Plastic always attracts more heat as opposed to metal/alu.

Temps aren't that bad, the only downside of using the Thor's Hammer is that I can't have the fan in the normal position (blowing air towards the rear) otherwise I can't fit the RAM modules (the Reapers have those high heat-spreaders), so all fans are intakes (the one on the front, and the two near the rear are facing the same way) I might try and re-jig the airflow but it seems good enough for the moment.

And finally why 3in3s? 5in3 is a bit more space efficient and allows usually 80/92mm single fan.

The bays are 3-in-2, so I get 6 HDDs in 4 bays, which suits my needs at the moment - I'm not using the bottom two due to the limits of the 9260, though I may buy an expander if I absolutely need the storage.
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users