Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

am i being a bit mental?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
Hey Guys

just wanted to get a secound thought......

on my system i am running a q9550 running at 4.0ghz sli GTX570 SC and running a res on my monitors of 5040 X 1050

and i am getting between 70 and 80 FPS on battlefield...... on the bench mark of crysis i get about 70 73 FPS

should i really think about buying a new MOBO and upgrading my CPU? to squeeze them extra bits on FPS.... or am i being a bit mental?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU = I5 2500K Oc'ed to 4.7
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
MOBO= Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3
PSU = 850 xFx Black Edition
Mem = Mushkin Redline 2133MHZ 9-11-10 28
Case = TJ07
Cooling =Custom Water Cooling
Display = 27" LED 3D Samsung monitor
HD = 90 OCZ SSD
HD Storage = 1TB Samsung + 500GB Seagate
OS Windows 7 64 Bit Home Edition

Peri
7.1 Surround, Rat7 Mouse, Razor Lycosa Keyboard, iPad 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts
Nah mate, I would spend further £1000 on a new GPUs and maybe £500 extra on CPU - extra 10FPS matters these days you know! :huh:

My Blog => http://adriank.org

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Nah mate, I would spend further £1000 on a new GPUs and maybe £500 extra on CPU - extra 10FPS matters these days you know! :huh:

i hear a bit of sarcasm there??? :-P

i just dont if i should think about upgrading soon or just wait untill the next lot of chips come out.... not sure what or when there going to be......
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
Case = TJ07
HD = 90 OCZ SSD

Peri

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
The Q9550 is pretty old now, there's a load of better CPUs out there to choose from, Sandy Bridge looks amazing once Intel have worked out the kinks in the chipset design. But then again, it really depends if you're happy with your setup - your framerates definitely look good, so I don't really think you could use that as an excuse to upgrade.

I'm waiting until S2011 and X68 later this year to upgrade Galileo (Q6600 @ 3.6GHz) - I know that if I jump to Sandy Bridge now, I'll only be kicking myself in a few months when S2011 comes out - my Q6600+HD4870 setup is creaking a bit and I've maxed out the board (Highpoint Rocket 620 + Corsair C300 SSD + 8GB of Corsair Dominator 1066MHz RAM) - it definitely doesn't feel slow by any means though, so when it comes to upgrading, it's always a "want" rather than a "need" - but that's the thing with enthusiast builds, we always like to push the limits "because we can" :)
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

The Q9550 is pretty old now, there's a load of better CPUs out there to choose from, Sandy Bridge looks amazing once Intel have worked out the kinks in the chipset design. But then again, it really depends if you're happy with your setup - your framerates definitely look good, so I don't really think you could use that as an excuse to upgrade.

I'm waiting until S2011 and X68 later this year to upgrade Galileo (Q6600 @ 3.6GHz) - I know that if I jump to Sandy Bridge now, I'll only be kicking myself in a few months when S2011 comes out - my Q6600+HD4870 setup is creaking a bit and I've maxed out the board (Highpoint Rocket 620 + Corsair C300 SSD + 8GB of Corsair Dominator 1066MHz RAM) - it definitely doesn't feel slow by any means though, so when it comes to upgrading, it's always a "want" rather than a "need" - but that's the thing with enthusiast builds, we always like to push the limits "because we can" :)

i think thats my problem

"enthusiast builds, we always like to push the limits "because we can" "
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
Case = TJ07
HD = 90 OCZ SSD

Peri

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
I had a similar set up to yours Danny a couple of years ago. EVGA 790i ultra with a q9650. Bought a x58 mobo with a 920 and really didnt notice a great deal of difference. For general use and gaming you'll be fine i guess. I got a good price for my 775 stuff so it cost just under £100 to upgrade to x58.

Phoenixdancer

Phoenixdancer

Eyefinity Guru

• Members
  • 2,887 posts
I had a nice post written out about upgradeing and the like.. But i changed it as im hardly the one who can give sound advice about upgrades... :P

My Rig:
I7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB DDR3
Asus Maximus V MATX
2 x AMD 290X @ 1100/1300
XFX 1KW Platinum PSU
Parvum Custom made - Soon Core P5 Wall case
Cooling: 2 x ET45 Alphacool Copper, 2x 290x EK, 1x EK HF, D5, EK Tube, 10/13 White Tube.
Phillips 4k 40" Monitor

TheHowster

TheHowster

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
If you are going to upgrade I'd wait until summer, once amd have shown bulldozer and intel have shown there new top end platform.

I'm on a 5870 and a quad core deneb, didn't see the point in upgrading this gen but will go all out on 28nm gpus and bulldozer/x68 as I've now done all the investing in case and watercooling and just need fresh hardware.
Posted Image

Bex "Hitatchi are piles of unreliable runny poo!"

Dannyburnley

Dannyburnley

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

If you are going to upgrade I'd wait until summer, once amd have shown bulldozer and intel have shown there new top end platform.

I'm on a 5870 and a quad core deneb, didn't see the point in upgrading this gen but will go all out on 28nm gpus and bulldozer/x68 as I've now done all the investing in case and watercooling and just need fresh hardware.

yeah thats my issue i am still going all out on my case (view project logs) and i have gone all out on my gpus (570 SLI) i know there not 580's but i am not running a high enough res to justify the extra money they are.... but the 570 oc'ed will be beasty gpus..... i have had my board now a year... and my cpu for 2 years... my board is an xfx 790I ultra and i have just spent a couple of hundred cooling my chipset lol
GPU = x2 EVGA GTX570 SC
Case = TJ07
HD = 90 OCZ SSD

Peri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users