Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Removing powder coat?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ConTro13r

ConTro13r

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I have two EK 280 ram plates that were powder coated white and i want them black again. Stupidly i didnt just sparay paint over the nice finish they had i tried to bake it off and then leave them too soak in white spirit and sand it offf but all to no avail

Is there a way to get this stuff off? i kinda want to still see the ek logo thats ecthed into it

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
http://www.homebase....rtNumber=796322

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Sure about it Jacka? Powder is a bit stronger than few layers of spray paint...

My Blog => http://adriank.org

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
Nitromors will bubble that off no probs just be careful of the fumes

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
Believe Yankee used it to strip a bad powder job off his case, took a few goes.

Is nasty stuff though, so if you do use it be careful and take suitable precautions. Here's a linky to the COSHH/MSDS.

A safer option might be to get it dipped in a caustic bath, powder coaters sometimes have this facility if you're planning on getting it re-coated might be a safer option.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Nitromors will strip it no problem but If the place that coated them are any good, they'll have sanded them down before painting them anyway so I'd think twice about it if you want the EK logo back.

PS: Baking it didn't work as that's how the paint is applied in the first place and most powders have a huge threshhold for "overcuring". :P

marcus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users