Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

OLD STUFF E8600 EP35-DS4

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
Hi Folk,

I tried just yesterday my system running Linpack just to realize my system is not fully stable.

CPU - E8600
MOBO - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 BIOS F6d
RAM - OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 / 1150 MHz / Flex II XLC / 4GB Dual Channel

Board can easily run long term on FSB 500 and memory have no problems at 1000 either.

Now where I stand, I can run CPU at 1.44V and get easily 4.8GHz Prime stable, I was using 1.44V and 4.6GHz overclock for everyday use

BIOS voltages are all standard apart of DDR voltage +0.3V to get nominal 2.1 as required by OCZ and Vcore (1.44V)
loadline calibration is enabled.

I would expect that if I can still run Prime at 4.8 with no issues that 4.6 will be save but it looks even 4.5 GHz is too much for Linpack.

What concerns me is that it is not getting better with increasing Vcore.

Any ideas what to try next?

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
How stable do you want it and for what purposes?

Had overclocks prime stable on blend, but fail IBT.

Have then used the same overclocks for everyday and gaming use without any problems.

IMHO, an overclock only has to be stable enough for the purposes that your using a pc for.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

IMHO, an overclock only has to be stable enough for the purposes that your using a pc for.

What OneEye said. ^^

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
have you given the vtt a little bump?, maybe if you give it a bump you can get that vcore down alittle,
cus 1.44v seems a little high for 24/7 use,

what sort of cooling you got on that.
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
OneEye & Jacka,

apart of gaming I also use my PC for Sound postproduction and thats where I want to be sure to have 100% rock stable platform.

Ezgonzo,

just to be sure my motherboard Gigabyte EP35-DS4 BIOS F6d does not have BIOS setting labeled Vtt. From what I googled it looks like setting FSB is equivalent to Vtt but I found contradicting results. Can you please advice? I will try to give it 0.1 up and see what changes in the meantime

OneEyeUK

OneEyeUK

Level Eleventeen

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

apart of gaming I also use my PC for Sound postproduction and thats where I want to be sure to have 100% rock stable platform.

Well if you're prime stable, even though linpack fails, try playing your fave games and run some stuff through post production, if all seems good then I'd reckon it's happy days. ;)

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
OneEye am too paranoid to risk any issue during post production. It can represent several days of hard work and completely missing deadline. I welcome overclock because it is making processing much faster but if it can cause any harm to data am not going to do that.

Ezgonzo

here is picture of section of my BIOS screen, I assume FSB OverVoltage control is Vtt and I will try to ad 0.05, 0.1 or 0.15 and see if it has any impact

I have another question for everybody related to advanced memory timing settings. When i overclock I noticed in CPU-Z that Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) get up from 24 to 72 clocks. I would set it manually but I am not sure which of the AdvancedTiming Controls in BIOS it is

Thanks

Posted Image

My cooling consist of

rads XSPC RX360 and RX240
CPU block XSPC Delta V3 with backplate
GPU block XSPC Razor 5970
NB and SB blocks EK
Pump DCC Ultra with XSPC top
Reservoir XSPC single bay

Mosfets are passively cooled

Case is Cosmos1000 RX360 in the roof RX240 in the bottom

FANs Noctua P12

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Refresh to Act is tRFC :). It's a stability setting, not a performance one. The value will depend on RAM volume and density. It's very normal to have a high value. I usually run 72-82 :) I've had stability anywhere near 24 :)

For P35, vTT/vFSB should be kept low. 1.30v or so. It affects FSB stability a little bit and high values can damage the CPU (obviously)

1.45v is fairly normal for those MHz... I would say your CPU is pretty good :), but as said, I would consider it a little high for 24/7 or intensive useage.

Who cares about Linpack stability? It's only useful for... Linpack testing :)

If you cant risk an unstable OC, back the MHz off. It's the only answer. Stability is running whatever you run with confidence it'll complete

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • 632 posts
cheers Kenny I'll lower it to 1.4V, i can run Prime stable at 4.6 GHz with Vcore 1.4V so it will do for me .

Is any of the advanced timing settings something I should change from Auto and play with?

Thanks
EA

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
If you run the RAM right on the edge of stability, it might gain (or lose) you a few MHz on the RAM, but nothing MAJOR.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users