Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

E5200 Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Fletch_r21

Fletch_r21

• Members
  • 22 posts
Hi all.

I know this is not a Watercooled related question, but Id prefer to ask here as everyone seems more friendlier and able to help than other sites!

I have an E5200 (2.4GHz Standard) with a ASRock G31M-S Motherboard. I am very new to the idea of overclocking. I have used the ASRock OC Utility, and for the overclocking side of the utility it only has the option to change the CPU frequency and the CPU Ratio:

I have left the Ratio at 12.5

and the frequency is now at 260

It is now running at 3.25GHz Aircooled and staying around 32 Degrees Idle.

Does it matter that I have only changed the Frequency and nothing else? As I've always seen guides which are more in depth and require more changes. . I have been stress testing this and it has been fine and staying around the same temp.

Thanks

Rich

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
First of all I'll say I'm unaware of the capabilities and quirks of that particular processor...

If you've managed to get that far by changing BCLK alone then that's great... altering voltages isn't necessarily required, especially at more conservative overclocks. You will find you'll need to tweak more further up the line to maintain stability.

It's load temperatures more than idle you need to pay attention to, though.

I presume you're stressing with Prime95?

You want to stay under around 75 degrees according to this.... I generally clock to around 5-10 degrees below that to allow ample room for variances in ambient temperature, though this is largely down to personal preference.
Posted Image

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,077 posts

First of all I'll say I'm unaware of the capabilities and quirks of that particular processor...

If you've managed to get that far by changing BCLK alone then that's great...

I think we all know this ;)

My Blog => http://adriank.org

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Forgive me If I'm being slow but I don't quite follow...? Wrong terminology? :)

I should add that the reputedly best way to clock is via BIOS rather than with Windows tools... I've read that you can sometimes push an overclock further in Windows if the speed you're trying to attain won't POST, but that's more for bench runs and extreme overclocking.
Posted Image

IanF

IanF

Level 10

• Moderators
  • 2,896 posts
I'm not familiar with the capabilities of that motherboard, but in general the E5200 is capable of a 1GHz overclock.

To obtain this you will need to enter the BIOS to change the FSB frequency and the CPU voltage.

ian.jpg

Fletch_r21

Fletch_r21

• Members
  • 22 posts

If you've managed to get that far by changing BCLK alone then that's great... altering voltages isn't necessarily required, especially at more conservative overclocks. You will find you'll need to tweak more further up the line to maintain stability.

It's load temperatures more than idle you need to pay attention to, though.

I presume you're stressing with Prime95?

You want to stay under around 75 degrees according to this.... I generally clock to around 5-10 degrees below that to allow ample room for variances in ambient temperature, though this is largely down to personal preference.

Never used Prime 95 to be honest, had another program on the go which stresses CPU RAM etc, and under 100% load for 30 minutes, the temp went up to around 35 degrees. Thanks for the reply! Wasn't to sure if it was dangerous to change the one parameter without upping the voltage!

Really not to sure what this means

Forgive me If I'm being slow but I don't quite follow...? Wrong terminology? :)

I should add that the reputedly best way to clock is via BIOS rather than with Windows tools... I've read that you can sometimes push an overclock further in Windows if the speed you're trying to attain won't POST, but that's more for bench runs and extreme overclocking.

Ah thats wicked thanks, not to sure if it made much difference to do it in Windows rather than BIOS, wil have to do some reading up on it before I attempt the ol' BIOS side of things. Thanks!

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Never used Prime 95 to be honest, had another program on the go which stresses CPU RAM etc, and under 100% load for 30 minutes, the temp went up to around 35 degrees. Thanks for the reply! Wasn't to sure if it was dangerous to change the one parameter without upping the voltage!

Probably less dangerous to run without voltages if anything, although you're incurring a risk with any overclock. My personal feeling is as long as you're careful and know your platform well, the risks are minimal.

Don't be overly ambitious with voltages, especially on air.

Obviously I can't rate your software as I don't know what it is, but I'd suggest running "In place large FFT's" in Prime95 and see how comparable your temperatures are.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users