Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Folding questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have the following rig with the intention of folding 24/7, largely set up and configured--

Q6600 at stock
Biostar Tpower I45
2Gb PC2-9200 DDR2
8800GT
8800GTS 640MB

In Antec 300 fully kitted out with fans with Freezer 7 on the CPU, very tidily cabled so pretty good airflow :)

I'll probably have a go at clocking it tommorow, if I'm not busy (I've forgotten how to clock LGA775 :huh:)

I'm running Vista with SMP and GPU2 console clients, priority of both GPU clients is set low so the SMP client doesn't starve the other two.

Getting around 5000PPD on CPU, ~5000 on GT and ~4000 on GTS, dependent on WU. I'm not running bigadv WU's as the diseases I'm interested in aren't covered by bigadv WU's, apparently.

I'm also running the SMP client occasionally on my OC'd i7 920 (Currently at 4.2) which is getting ~10000. I guess I'd maybe get more if I had HT on but I have it off for temp reasons.

Questions --

1. Is this the optimal setup for my gear? Anything else I can do to boost PPD? I'm not planning on overclocking the GPU's as they're still on stock HSF.
2. I'm sure I saw somewhere you should have 1GB of RAM per CPU core, can someone verify? I do have another 2 x 1Gb sticks of DDR2 kicking about but I don't think they match the existing RAM in frequency and timings.

If I get quite into this I'll probably invest in some better gear... I hear 460's are best for PPD/W.

I think I had some other questions but I can't remember them... maybe when I'm less tired.
Posted Image

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I have the following rig with the intention of folding 24/7, largely set up and configured--

Q6600 at stock
Biostar Tpower I45
2Gb PC2-9200 DDR2
8800GT
8800GTS 640MB

In Antec 300 fully kitted out with fans with Freezer 7 on the CPU, very tidily cabled so pretty good airflow :)

I'll probably have a go at clocking it tommorow, if I'm not busy (I've forgotten how to clock LGA775 :huh:)

I'm running Vista with SMP and GPU2 console clients, priority of both GPU clients is set low so the SMP client doesn't starve the other two.

Getting around 5000PPD on CPU, ~5000 on GT and ~4000 on GTS, dependent on WU. I'm not running bigadv WU's as the diseases I'm interested in aren't covered by bigadv WU's, apparently.

I'm also running the SMP client occasionally on my OC'd i7 920 (Currently at 4.2) which is getting ~10000. I guess I'd maybe get more if I had HT on but I have it off for temp reasons.

Questions --

1. Is this the optimal setup for my gear? Anything else I can do to boost PPD? I'm not planning on overclocking the GPU's as they're still on stock HSF.
2. I'm sure I saw somewhere you should have 1GB of RAM per CPU core, can someone verify? I do have another 2 x 1Gb sticks of DDR2 kicking about but I don't think they match the existing RAM in frequency and timings.

If I get quite into this I'll probably invest in some better gear... I hear 460's are best for PPD/W.

I think I had some other questions but I can't remember them... maybe when I'm less tired.

Answers to best of my knowledge:

I would run big avg on your i7 depending on cores.

As a rule its said to run gig of ram per core when cpu folding, 460s are best yeah but only just its more the amount of power they use than then cores they have, will dig the link out for you but there’s something magic in them that means they fold better than a 480,

Settings for your build, i don’t know mate tbh, all you can do is test about and find what’s best, by adjusting settings, you might see a small gain by running xp due to the amount that vista uses, just oc stuff and see where it gets you. Im folding on laptop i work on and i see 850ppd :o so shouldn’t worry to much, I’m going to set my old p4 on folding this aft if i get time, as that’s better than nothing, i followed settings that pande made on a wiki link and left it at that as the laptops not some super power thing,

Guessing you got FAHMON? if not go get it!

Keep It Cool-Water Cooled

http://www.brgdevelopments.co.uk

@brgdevelopments

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Answers to best of my knowledge:

I would run big avg on your i7 depending on cores.

As a rule its said to run gig of ram per core when cpu folding, 460s are best yeah but only just its more the amount of power they use than then cores they have, will dig the link out for you but there’s something magic in them that means they fold better than a 480,

Settings for your build, i don’t know mate tbh, all you can do is test about and find what’s best, by adjusting settings, you might see a small gain by running xp due to the amount that vista uses, just oc stuff and see where it gets you. Im folding on laptop i work on and i see 850ppd :o so shouldn’t worry to much, I’m going to set my old p4 on folding this aft if i get time, as that’s better than nothing, i followed settings that pande made on a wiki link and left it at that as the laptops not some super power thing,

Guessing you got FAHMON? if not go get it!

-bigadv is recommended for 8 cores, but will run on a hyperthreaded i7 (and can be tricked into working on a Phenom II X6).

For bigadv, the more memory the better. For normal SMP units, 1GB of RAM per core is excessive, having 2GB of memory in any system will suffice.

GTS450 is by far the best performance per watt per pound. Using GTX480s to fold is a waste of money.

All of my crunchers are running on Server 2003 x64, which is based on the same operating system as XP. This allows the GPUs to have 100% utilisation, compared to 80-90% is Vista or Windows 7.

Folding on laptops or old Pentium 4s, for example, is a complete waste of time. You'll just be wasting electricity.

Fahmon is useless compared to HFM.net.
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
Jacka, F@hmon is platform independent hence its popularity. Not everyone runs Windows you know ;)

My Blog => http://adriank.org

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
GPU folding is only natively supported on Windows. Any linux rigs can be remotely monitored.
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I've currently got the rig running at 3.1... it can do more but temps are running pretty close to the redline as it is. I plugged in the other DIMMs I have (2x 1GB Corsair dominator 1066) but I'm having difficulty getting the memory past 692Mhz, maybe due to all the slots being populated and mixing DIMMs. It doesn't help that I'm having difficulty tracking down definitive information with regards to pertinant voltages and their ranges (VDIMM, FSB and NB/SB voltages are what I need to pay attention to for the DIMMs, right?)

-bigadv is recommended for 8 cores, but will run on a hyperthreaded i7 (and can be tricked into working on a Phenom II X6).

For bigadv, the more memory the better. For normal SMP units, 1GB of RAM per core is excessive, having 2GB of memory in any system will suffice.

If this is the case I may pull the dominators and stick with the OCZ Reaper 1150's I have in there.

GTS450 is by far the best performance per watt per pound. Using GTX480s to fold is a waste of money.

Orly? Bit-tech seem to think 460s are the cards to run.

All of my crunchers are running on Server 2003 x64, which is based on the same operating system as XP. This allows the GPUs to have 100% utilisation, compared to 80-90% is Vista or Windows 7.

NT5? I'd be interested to hear the tech details... aren't drivers difficult to track down for x64 XP/2003?

Why do you say that? I'm running HFM.
Posted Image

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Folding on laptops or old Pentium 4s, for example, is a complete waste of time. You'll just be wasting electricity.

Meh... so what i said basicly but sumed up better :)

Jacka whats your specs for all your rigs for crunching? And what/who are you crunching for?

@brgdevelopments

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
GTS 450 is £90, draws ~121W and fetches around 14k PPD.

GTX 460 is £120, draws ~154W and fetches around 15k PPD.

So the 460 costs 33% more and uses 27% more power for a 7% performance increase.

My currents rigs are:

Athlon II X4 @ 3.5GHz
K9A2 Platinum
4x9600GSO

Athlon II X4 @ 3.5GHz
K9A2 Platinum
2x8800GS, 2x8800GT

4xOpteron 8346HE
Arima F3000
GT220

4xOpteron 8346HE
Arima F3000
GT220

Posted Image

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

So the 460 costs 33% more and uses 27% more power for a 7% performance increase.

Agreed... obviously they haven't spotted this.

What sort of PPD do you get out of 4 x Opteron 8346HE?
Posted Image

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
Folded on one of them until I'd completed a single bigadv unit and it was around 45k PPD.

Full system only draws around 350W from the wall without the GT220s installed.
Posted Image

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Folded on one of them until I'd completed a single bigadv unit and it was around 45k PPD.

So who do you fold for then Jacka?

Looks intresting, how come the k9 board rather then the msi p6n? amd over intel huh :)

@brgdevelopments

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Looks intresting, how come the k9 board rather then the msi p6n? amd over intel huh :)

Dont worry... i found it :)

Athlon II X4 620, K9A2 Platinum, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 4x9600GSO, XFX 650W
Athlon X2 6000+, K9A2 Platinum, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 4x8800GS, XFX 650W
4x Opteron 8346HE, Arima F3000, 8x1GB ECC DDR2-667, No VGA, Corsair CX400
4x Opteron 8346HE, Arima F3000, 8x1GB ECC DDR2-667, No VGA, Corsair CX400

Just out of intrest what did the boards set you back Jacka? Where did you get them from?

@brgdevelopments

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
The K9A2 platinum is a far better platform imo.

I used to crunch for OCN, but the majority of them only seem to do it for epeen now.
Posted Image

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

The K9A2 platinum is a far better platform imo.

I used to crunch for OCN, but the majority of them only seem to do it for epeen now.

Fair enough, they say the k9 for amd and the p6n for intel,

Well why not come to us :)

Didnt know if you had seen my edits to my post to answer those questions but im guessing not!

@brgdevelopments

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

The 45K is without input from GT220s? If so, that's fairly impressive.

Would the MSI P6N be the preferred board for LGA775 GPU folding? I'm probably going to look into a shortlist of LGA775 boards with 4 x PCIE.

I take it running the cards over an 8x link has negligible effect on PPD?

So what exactly is the optimal configuration for PPD/W/£ atm? 4 x 450 on an energy efficient Athlon?
Posted Image

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Dunc somewere ive got a list of desktop mobos with how many pci slots they have with what socket cpu, will dig it out for you,there will be more to add to it in the new year, trying to make one for server boards too,

if you google folding rig and best folding rig, it will find the k9 for amd builds like atlas uses and the p6n diamond for intel, im sure Jacka will show me up but they seen the boards to have...tho there not made anymore, ive been finding them on fleabay ive got a few of them now paid about 30 quid for them- that was "as you would get it off the shelf new" and just the board and some bits no box but driver disks think cheapest i got was 15 quid

*goes off to find notpad file*

@brgdevelopments

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
No doult it will get flamed but...

EVGA
4 slot

EVGA X58 Classified3

foxcon

to check
Bloodrage GTI-1366
Renaissance II-1366
Renaissance-1366
Bloodrage-1366

3 pci
Inferno Katana GTI-1156
Inferno Katana -1156
ELA -775
N68S7AA-8EKRS2H-775
BLACKOPS-775
Destroyer-am2/am2+

intel
asrock x4
X58 Deluxe3-1366

asrockx3
X58 Extreme6-1366
X58 Extreme3-1366
X58 Extreme-1366
P55 Extreme-1156

amd
asrockx4

asrockx3
890FX Deluxe4-am3
890FX Deluxe3-am3
890GX Extreme4-am3
890GX Extreme3-am3
K10N780SLIX3-WiFi-am2/am2+

msi
intel
x6
Big Bang-XPower-1366

x4
Eclipse Plus.-1366

x3
Eclipse SLI.-1366
X58 Pro-E.-1366
X58 Pro-E USB3.-1366
X58A-GD45.-1366
X58A-GD65.-1366
Big Bang-Fuzion.-1156
P55-GD80.-1156
Big Bang-Trinergy.-1156

msi
amd
x5
890FXA-GD70-am3

x4
790FX-GD70-am3
790FX-GD70 Winki Edition-am3
K9A2 Platinum V2-am2+

x3
NF980-G65-am3

gigabyte
intel

x3
GA-X58-USB3-1366
GA-EX58-DS4-1366
GA-P55-UD6-C-1156
GA-P55-UD6-1156

x7
GA-X58A-UD9-1366

x4
GA-X58A-UD7-1366
GA-X58A-UD5-1366
GA-X58A-UD7 rev1 wc northbridge-1366
GA-X58A-UD5 rev2-1366
GA-X58A-UD3R-1366
GA-X58A-UD3R rev2-1366
GA-P55A-UD7-1156

amd3
x4
GA-890FXA-UD5-am3

x6
GA-890FXA-UD7-am3

x3
GA-790FXTA-UD5-am3

asus
intel
x3
P6T SE-1366
P6TD Deluxe-1366
P6X58D Premium-1366
P6X58D Premium-1366
SABERTOOTH X58-1366
Maximus III Formula-1156
P7P55D PRO-1156

x4
Rampage III Extreme-1366
P7F7-E WS Supercomputer-1156
P5N64 WS Professional-775
Crosshair IV Formula-am3

x6
P6T6 WS Revolution-1366

x7
P6T7 WS SuperComputer-1366

x5
P7P55 WS Supercomputer-1156
Crosshair IV Extreme-am3

Looks a mess but its readable...just

@brgdevelopments

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Was more interested in LGA775 boards but that's excellent info, cheers dude.

+Rep
Posted Image

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Thanks

It was purely going with whats on the shelf today, didnt even think of looking at 775...stupid boy! Ive found myself a cpu for my p6n so just got to get some gpu prices now... :)

@brgdevelopments

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
45k PPD is around the same as you'd get on an overclocked hexcore Gulftown.

MSI P6N Diamond is the only 775 board I know of with 4 double spaced PCIe slots. As gooders has shown there are dozens of 1156 and 1366 boards.

For the best efficiency I'd ignore old platforms and go for an i7. Preferably X58.

Running a card on PCIe x1 as opposed to x16 won't give a significant performance drop due to the fact that there isn't much data transfer between the chipset and graphics card.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users