Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

O/C my set up please

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

Hi guys ...
Im new as you have guessed and the reason for that is that i was looking for the best forums to get advice and i think i have found it ..

May i say in advance ... thank you for taking the time to read this and help me and i am so grateful for any tips and avice on tweaking or changing bits to make it right
and also which waterblock for the i7 920 ? ( i know there is another thread for this so if you say i will start that one there..)

My set up (excluding other inferior parts)

GA-EX58-UD5 iX58

Core I7 920 D stepping
OCZ 6gb (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Gold
Hi-Power Black 1000W Modular
2X OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD (In raid 0) Is raid 5 better ??
2X Samsung sata II 250GB
Gigabyte GTX480 1536MB

Im not 100% @ overclocking and setting up multipliers etc so i thought i would let you guys do the setup and i could let you know the results (but only if you are happy to do so)
and get the most out of my machine ?

thanks again all.
:rolleyes:

Case - Tai Chi (water cooling not in use yet)
2x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD Raid 0

Posted Image

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
Overclocking by nature is a very individual process, so it will probably be best if you go through it yourself - you'll need to familiarise yourself with all the terminology and frequencies (and what they do) before you can be confident enough to overclock.

I would personally start out at stock speeds, bump your frequencies up notch by notch, then start adding voltage and bumping things up even more. Each chip is individual in its ability (or not) to overclock well - some chips turn out to be "golden" and others are hell to get a good clock from.

My Q6600 runs at 3.6GHz from 2.4GHz stock, so it's a fairly good clock, but there have been some Q6600's known to break 4GHz so it's all up to you and how far you want to push your hardware (and also how far your hardware will allow you to go).

I'm not experienced with the i7 architecture, so others can advise you on that, but thought I'd throw my opinion in and say that there's no substitute for experience and know-how. Would you really trust a stranger from a random forum with £1k of hardware?
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

Hi, and thanks for your reply..

I have been trying to master it myself and to be fair i have used advice from other people on other machines and in the end i still used a combination of my thoughts plus others
thoughts and still without gigabytes o/c tool i just get blue screens etc and eventually get fed up with spending 6 hrs messing with settings when a few minor ajustments may favour
me a little.

Of course common sense comes into play here... im not going to accept advice to set stupid values on my hardware, i can see that.
But still if any advice on my settings go and if i have the right memory still exists and would like to pick yours and everyone elses brains.

you have been a big help and glad you replied .

thanks

Posted Image

Aaron

Aaron

There's ALWAYS room for a quad rad!

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
how much do you want to overclock?

3.6 Ghz is an easily acheivable 50‰ overclock on your hardware. I have almost identical cpu/mobo/ram setup and run 3.6 Ghz 24/7
in process of moving so can't check what my actual figures are and am on my palm pre but...
set BCLK to 200
set memory link to 8x.......this sets yr ram to its rated 1600Mhz
set your cpu multiplier to 18
shouldn't need to touch voltages however yr board may give more than mine on auto so they may need lowering.

good thing about the gigabyte boards is the dual bios. If you screw up, you can load the backup bios and return everything to stock

On any waterblock this should give you decent temperatures(pump/rad/fan dependent also)

Project 'S'

Cosmos S - i7 920 DO @ 4Ghz - Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GTX 275 - 6Gb OCZ Gold 1600Mhz
PA120.4 - XSPC DDCBAYTWO - HF Nickel - EK FB

I love chicken chargrills

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
if you want to go higher or lower change the multiplier. Leave bclk as it will set yr ram up nicely.

ive had 4.6ghz out of this setup :)

Project 'S'

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

how much do you want to overclock?

3.6 Ghz is an easily acheivable 50‰ overclock on your hardware. I have almost identical cpu/mobo/ram setup and run 3.6 Ghz 24/7
in process of moving so can't check what my actual figures are and am on my palm pre but...
set BCLK to 200
set memory link to 8x.......this sets yr ram to its rated 1600Mhz
set your cpu multiplier to 18
shouldn't need to touch voltages however yr board may give more than mine on auto so they may need lowering.

good thing about the gigabyte boards is the dual bios. If you screw up, you can load the backup bios and return everything to stock

On any waterblock this should give you decent temperatures(pump/rad/fan dependent also)

Aaron ... thanks for the advice, i will apply these in a bit to see what the deelio is ... (hang on .. my blck is 140.20 @ the mo ... ive had grief going too far on that one but maybe thats down to
the fact ive never turned the mulitplier down to x8.
all i have done is used the GB tool for a while then tryed to get into doing it myself by the bios.
@ the mo my multiplier is x12.)

You say voltages being a bit high on auto ? @ mo DRAM Voltage 1.520v on auto

this is exactly the kind of advice i was after but struggling to understand the reason.
You say cpu multipier ... that i think is @ 20 @ mo.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Posted Image

subset7

subset7

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
Have a read of this thread

http://www.overclock...-920-930-a.html

Should give you a bit of an idea of values and settings.

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

Subset ... :rolleyes: ur a star, thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Posted Image

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Hey :) An I7 920 should do around 3.6GHz without much voltage... after that, they do usually need a bigger increase in voltage for a smaller increase in MHz... the heat output also starts to get a bit silly. You might even be ok with as low as 1.15vCore

Disable Turbo :) That should be in the I7 OC guide :)

Uncore..... again, around 3.6GHz should be an easy aiming point with quite low vTT... maybe 1.30vTT? On a 45nm I7, that voltage is totally fine :) You can go higher if you need

RAM.... the consistency of the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) on I7 CPUs is really hit n miss so 1GHz might be out of reach, no matter what the board or RAM says is possible (I know yours is rated 800MHz... but for PC3-16000+ RAM etc) :( So... I would stay around the 800MHz point for now :)

In a perfect world, Uncore should be 4x the RAM (or 2x the RAM if you use the DDR number) so... 3600MHz Uncore would match to 900MHz RAM (DDR-1800) but it doesnt REALLY matter if its not an even multiplier....

For CPU overclocking.... odd multipliers allow a more stable OC at lower volts so for 3.6GHz, ideally you want 190*19 or 211*17 (which might be pretty hard)

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

Hey :) An I7 920 should do around 3.6GHz without much voltage... after that, they do usually need a bigger increase in voltage for a smaller increase in MHz... the heat output also starts to get a bit silly. You might even be ok with as low as 1.15vCore

Uncore..... again, around 3.6GHz should be an easy aiming point with quite low vTT... maybe 1.30vTT? On a 45nm I7, that voltage is totally fine :) You can go higher if you need

RAM.... the consistency of the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) on I7 CPUs is really hit n miss so 1GHz might be out of reach, no matter what the board or RAM says is possible (I know yours is rated 800MHz... but for PC3-16000+ RAM etc) :( So... I would stay around the 800MHz point for now :)

In a perfect world, Uncore should be 4x the RAM (or 2x the RAM if you use the DDR number) so... 3600MHz Uncore would match to 900MHz RAM (DDR-1800) but it doesnt REALLY matter if its not an even multiplier....

For CPU overclocking.... odd multipliers allow a more stable OC at lower volts so for 3.6GHz, ideally you want 190*19 or 211*17 (which might be pretty hard)

K404 ... your also a star.

without this kind of info i would not be able to get to the finer tuning elements of o/c`ing... as with all the comments like this ... thanks again . B)

Posted Image

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

K404 ... >>>>>>> Quote " RAM.... the consistency of the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) on I7 CPUs is really hit n miss so 1GHz might be out of reach, no matter what the board or RAM says is possible (I know yours is rated 800MHz... but for PC3-16000+ RAM etc) :( So... I would stay around the 800MHz point for now :) "

What you mean by that ? @ the mo its cranked down a bit coz i cant quite get the figures that you guys are on about.
im @ 15?? on mem not full 1600 and multiplier is at X6 not X8 and ive had to turn the cpu down a bit coz my stock fan is not coping too well.(w/c is next in funding) and ive even tryed changing to 8-9-9-19 on the memory not 7-7-7-16 and have not noticed much change other than im not getting blue screens / memory dumps.

thanks

Posted Image

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
you have memory at 15xx mhz with a x6 link. What the hell is yr BCLK at?!!!

Project 'S'

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts

you have memory at 15xx mhz with a x6 link. What the hell is yr BCLK at?!!!

Lol ... Sorry ...

This has happened here because i was too lazy to go and see what my setting was and instead i was guessing. :unsure:

Ok ... last night i was tying to figure out what i got if i did this ... or this ... or maybe this... and after a few hours of different settings i find that if i folow you instructions
and use x200 blck / mem x8 and cpu x18 i get to win7 desktop for about 10 seconds and blue screen. and tying to see if its the cpu or memory i have toned it down a bit for it to sit happy
and my settings at the mo are ...

Cpu X16 @ 3.04
Blck X190
Mem link X8
Uncore & Qpi = Auto.

Temps
Cpu - 57 idle
Mobo - 32

Volts
Cpu 1.376v
Dram 1.584v
+5v 4.919

Posted Image

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
The memory is running at silly MHz. You might have got the DDR-rate mixed up :) Try the memory at x4, that will give you 800MHz/ DDR 1600MHz. At the mo, you're trying to run 1600MHz/ DDR 3200

I *think* you are anyway.....

:)

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
the memory speed is tied into the bclk k404(kenny?)
all you set is a multiplier.

mine has been running on x8 with a 200 bclk for about a year without problems. Similar if not identical memory and mobo

Project 'S'

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
that sad, you know than me. Maybe i have uber memory running at 3200 haha

Project 'S'

Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
stupid phone.
'that said' and 'you know more than me'

ps. Can't edit posts on phone hence multiples

Project 'S'

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Yea :) Memory is an integer multiple of BCLK.

mcbosher

mcbosher

• Members
  • 9 posts
:rolleyes: Ok ... thanks for the reply .. :rolleyes:

Ive signed up to a o/c forum and to be honest the answers im getting there are from one scale to the other ..

What i cant do that you would think is simple is set my rig to default stocks ...

Cant get my Cpu & mem to run @ stock

If i change my timings to 7-7-7-16 ( and have tred 8-8-8-24 / 9-8-8-27 and others ) i get some stability @ 1528=756.00mhz but i have to set my mobo up as so...

Cpu - x14 (19max)
Blck - x189 (191 norm / 200 is on auto)
Mem - x8 ( tryed 10)
Uncore - x17 (tryed through to 21)
Dram 1.66v (tryed 1.64)
Cpu 1.220v ( tryed up to 1.3)
vTT 1.29v (tryed back to 1.22)

But with these settings i can take the cpu up to 3.02 - 3.6ghz just on the cpu multiplier but temps are bad, but even if i have my cpu @ stock
there is no way i can get my memory to 1600 without bsod or 3.6ghz on my cpu.
I have to by auto settings have Blck @ 200 with mem x8 and Cpu @ 3.6ghz x19 or 20 ???

So im confused as to how im gonna get even a simple stock set up never mind o/c`ing

thanks all :huh:

Posted Image

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Have you tried BCLK @ 160, with the RAM @ "x10" (I realise now your board is listing the RAM multiplier as double what it "is"... sorry about that. I don't know why they cant list it as "1:5" instead of "2:10" etc)

Is "Performance Enhance" set to Normal? :)

Is turbo disabled?

DRAM Timing... are you using "Quick" or "Expert" to set RAM timings? :)

In "Advanced Clock Control," can you increase PCI-E speed to 103MHz?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users