Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Macro bench

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
Phase 1 completed at last! Just need to build a subject stage and flash mount. The aluminium adapters took sooo long, need a bigger mill.

Posted Image
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

subset7

subset7

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
Looks interesting,looks like you're really getting in to macro photography Rich,post up some pics when you get it finished :thumb:

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
This looks interesting! Is this for shooting insects ect?(im away what macro photography is :P)

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
It is indeed :)
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Look forward to seeing your work, do you have a Flickr page? we should maybe start a flickr thread :P
Mines is http://www.flickr.co...tos/mckeenjohn/, Add me if you have one :)

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Added you - great photos!!

I have a grand total of two on there so far :P

Sub - I will post some more pictures up if I'm ever happy with one :D - I discard 90% at the moment but the challenge of getting it right is what holds my attention I guess.

Bentleya

Bentleya

Bentleya

• Members
  • 3,791 posts
Looks great Rich, can't wait to see what you can come up with.

Also added you on Flickr John :).

Marcus

Marcus

Speed & Tickets

• Administrators
  • 7,305 posts
Looks pretty darn funky that Rich, do the big black wheels move the camera forwards / backwards?

marcus.jpg

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Indeedly! Big outer wheel is coarse adjustment, wheels on the inside move the camera 2 microns per graduation.

Messing about with a pen

Posted Image

Once I have the stage built I'll sort the lighting out and things should start to improve hopefully.

subset7

subset7

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
That'll make me think twice about putting a pen in my mouth again :blink:

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Haha :D

Managed to get a really cheap microscope base off ebay so I now have a z axis

Posted Image

Need to work out a y axis next and an easy way of mounting subjects to it. I was going to saw off that curving 'neck' but decided I might keep it after all and fit a white LED in the end pointing down to help with focusing...more functionality for less work, always a fan of that :)

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
The Led idea would work really well,but i'd suggest getting a Switch to turn it off when taking the photos or once done focusing to prevent Cast off,I know its not allways alot but it can be noticeable with cheap extension tubes and Macro Len's, and i was thinking what if you have something really long you want to shoot?the arch Might inhibit the photo oportunity

As for the Y axis,ive seen Diamond monting type things that might work,would give you a Y and a Z Axis but,and maybe a means to mount the subject.

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Yep, switch is a must :) Was thinking of a sprung loaded one (not sure what the technical term is) so you press it for light but when you let go the light goes off. Seems like the quickest way of checking the viewfinder between frames.

I know what you mean about the orientation possibly limiting subjects so I've decided I'll probably mount the block at right angles to the camera instead, which should give the setup a bit more flexibility. I'm looking for a rectangular piece of flat steel now which will fill most of the area in front of the camera block which will be used to mount the second block and as an attachment surface for a magnetic stand (like this: http://www.machine-d...&product_id=245) which the flash will be mounted to. I saw someone else's setup doing this and it looks really flexible.

What are these diamond mounting things? Willing to look at anything....a linear stage would be perfect but they only seem to come up internationally on ebay and not very cheaply either :rolleyes:

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
That magnetic Boom is a smart idea for the flashes. And its a Push to make button,about a quid from maplins.got one for the pc switch to fit into the military look.
the diamond jewel thing i seen on ebay,its for polising jewels or something but had a little grasping thing,wasnt cheap,was like £60 but you could look on Google.i think there like the Linear stage dealies.
Look at like,Microscope mounts or something? some electroscopes have simular things i think :)

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
Ok...after a bit more research I've decided to go with a proxxon compound table:

Posted Image

This will be give me much more flexibility on the x axis than I get with just the microscope coarse focus and I also get the y axis movement I need as well. The table size is 200 x 70 which luckily is exactly the same as the aluminum base I have currently - so I should be able to mount the microscope block straight onto the top. It will need another plate to connect the compound table to the butcher's block.

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Is it bad that im really excited to see the end result aswell as some photo's?
I'm not really into performing Macro shot's,but i like seeing them :)

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
I'm hoping to get it running this month! I won't say finished because like pcs that never seems to happen :P

(I decided I'm going to hack the top off that microscope base after all, should make for a more versatile system and I can always do the LED focus light with a gooseneck)

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Sounds like a Plan!

I was wondering how you find the extension tubes and if you know/remember where you got them?

I've got a project for College and one of the subjects i want to do is "weird" and imediatly thought of Macro Bug's :) and you were the man to ask :P

was just wondering how much the tubes and micro mount cost,and if its cheaper then hiring This http://www.lensesfor...macro-140-p.asp

as i'd rather Hire a Canon 24-70/2.8 L for a portrait project :P

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
The extension tubes I use are full manual, i.e. they're just hollow powder coated tubes which screw together with no electrical connections to link a lens with the camera body. I have two sets, both bought from ebay for £7 each - like: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2#ht_2393wt_905

I use most of the rings from both sets for this setup and then the remaining couple with a 50mm prime for 1:1 on the go. If you don't mind going completely manual these tubes are perfect, they're so simple you can't really go wrong with cheap ones, paying a bit more just gets you a brand name but no extra functionality. The tubes costing significantly more usually carry electrical connections for metering.

Here's the microscope stand post amputation with a scrap of aluminium epoxied on to the top, awaiting painting

Posted Image

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Thank's! I've got a 50mm Prime :) and im not bothered with manual. Just thought i'd ask someone with experience.
My Fiance does Biology in her uni,and apparently they have access to Hundereds of weird dead bug's. So i shall have fun if she's allowed to bring stuff home for me :)

Edit,i like how you've filled down the top too :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users