Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

First watercooled system and i have no clue in this area

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

macbeth

macbeth

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hi

I am just about to finish building my new rig. I have build systems before but never with this much power and heat that i might need to watercool it. I have a corsair h70 for the cpu at the mo but the graphic cards are run hot so i thought i would cool them and if i am doing that i may as well go the hole hog. This is what i have.

case = haf x
cpu = i7 980x
mb = gigabyte ud9
gpu = 2 x gtx 480
psu = 1000w
ram = 12gb (not a water cooling set but looking into it for future upgrade)

The prob i have is i want the best but have no idea as where to start or what to get.

I am pritty handy with tools if that helps.

Having high end parts already i am looking to overclock the comp as far as poss with out going to extreme in the cooling.

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
Not seen many of these done.You got some good gear there,so I'm interested how it will turn out.
Found this,not sure if it helps much,but could set you on your way. ;)
http://www.overclock...d-radiator.html

Andy

macbeth

macbeth

• Members
  • 6 posts

Not seen many of these done.You got some good gear there,so I'm interested how it will turn out.
Found this,not sure if it helps much,but could set you on your way. ;)
http://www.overclock...d-radiator.html

Andy

Hi thanks for that andy. I will look into it and keep you up to date with how its going.

macbeth

macbeth

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hi

Back again. I have kind of cheated. I saw that EK were ment to be good. So

EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel
EK-Backplate CPU 1366

2 x EK-FC480 GTX - Nickel
2 x EK-FC480 GTX Backplate - Nickel

EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Acetal

EK-CoolStream RAD XT (360)
6 x REVOLTEC AIR Guard 120mm

Laing D5-Pump 12V (MCP 655)

10 x EK-PSC Fitting 10mm - G1/4 Nickel

3m TUBE Masterkleer 13/10mm

AT Protect UV Red 1000ml

Any tips? Have I missed any thing. Should i use any thing else instead?

With where to put it all. I was thinking rad in the top, res and pump in the 3 (maybe 5 if i need it) drive bays at the front. Do i need a fan controller to work all six or can i double, thriple or plug them all into one part of the controller or ????

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Acetal

I have the Spin reservoir in my Galileo rig [clicky] and I personally wouldn't recommend it. While it does look nice and the idea of the flow indicator may be appealing, in practise it's a bit of a gimmick, plus it's an absolute bugger to bleed, because the waterfall creates turbulence which then feeds air bubbles back into your loop if you're not careful - I had to fill mine to the brim to stop the turbulence, defeating the whole point of the waterfall effect.

It may be an idea to use different suppliers, you can mix-n-match most things in watercooling, I'm using an XSPC Delta v3 for my CPU (Q6600) block, generic Feser compressions, an XSPC RS120-T radiator, Thermochill EC6 coolant and XSPC 1/2" OD hose.

If you're likely to be tubing up some tight bends, I'd recommend PrimoChill Anti-Kink coils but everything else looks OK to me :)
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

macbeth

macbeth

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hi

Just an update. I have had to put the water cooling on holed as i am having trouble getting my motherboard (i have had 4 of the same ones and none work) to see all 12gb.

I will be back on the case as soon as i get one that works with the memory or the other way round.

macbeth

macbeth

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hi

Got the problem with the memory prob fixed.

My new kit list

360 ek rad or maybe a skinny one?
120 ek rad

hf ek cpu block
2 x 480 ek gpu block

3 x yate loon 120 fans ????????
Three for the 360 and i was going to use the two fans of of my h70 for the 120

aerocool f6xt fan controller or aquaero silver 8 channel

xspc res for a laing ddc with d5 or xspc x20 750

correct me if i am wrong but i think i will need 12 fittings. i was thinking of the ek compession fittings

The thing that i am worried about is the 360 rad. I think it will be a tight fit (47mm by 25mm = 72mm) about 80mm. I was think of putting the three fans on to push and get another 200 for the top. So i would end up with a push / pull 2 x 200 on top and 3 x 120 on the bottom. With the fans they come with three speeds, 1350, 1650, 2200. What is better? I am not to bothered with a quiret rig just cold.
I was looking at mounting the 120 on the outside at the back with push / pull.
In the four 5 1/4 bays i am going to put the fan controller on the top then dvd then res below. I may have to do a bit of modding to the case to squeeze the top rab in cos of the tubing and push the lot down a bit.
How much tubing do you think i will need?

Oh almost forgot. I was thinking res/pump 2 360 2 cpu 2 120 2 board 2 gpu 2 gpu 2 res/pump
Any help is much need.

macbeth

macbeth

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hi

Just thought i would see what you thought.

I went for roughly the same set up as above.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have run prime95 for about an hour and i topped out about 56 @ 4 ghz. and furmark for about the same and got about 45. i tthink the temps will come down a bit once the paste has had a chance to settle. I have only one gpu at the mo as i lent one to a friend till he gets his and i am waiting on the back plate for it.

Is it me or is the gpu temp a little high compared to the cpu?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users