Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Help with M3F and i5 760

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
Ok im having a total nightmare trying to get any kind of overclock stable with this Asus pos board. Me and Asus just dont get along and i wouldnt of bought it if the price wasnt good. After a bsod i go into bios, load defaults, exit. Then when windows loads it bsod at stock settings:mad: After a few attempts of loading windows, it doesnt bsod. Ive checked all plugs are secure, ram seated properly, gpu seated properly, ran memtest no problems etc etc

Anyway, ive tried searching for a specific bios template for this mobo with a i5 750 and cant seem to find one. Everything i found regarding settings doesnt seem to cover everything and so bsod after bsod keeps occuring. Theres so many settings in the bios which im not used to. The past few boards ive had are evga and never had one problem or bsod with an overclock. I always plucked my bios settings from evga forums and theyve always been spot on.

I was told hitting 3.6 with everything on auto would be no probs at all, but thats not happening for some reason, not even 3.2, which is only 400mhz over stock

Anyone got any pointers before i smash this Asus **** up.

Thanks.

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i presume you've already updated the bios,
what ram are you using?, the i5's can be a bit picky when it comes to ram,

what setting's have you changed so far to try and get it stable?,

also pics of your bios will help a lot, ;)
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Yeh ez i flashed it to the latest a few days ago. The ram im using are the corsair dominator gt's 1600 cas 7. They arent listed as compatible but ive seen some use them on this board iirc.

Settings i tried so far were just the basics really, was only going for like 3.6 oc so nothing major needed. Changed things like cpu multi and bclk, tried like 200 blck and lower multi and vice versa, vcore, qpi freq, cpu vtt and so on.

I'll get some pics up of the bios and maybe you could check them out? I know you know your stuff so maybe you could fathom it out :D

One thing though. I have the venomous x cooler yeh and it has this tension screw on the mounting bracket. You turn it clockwise to add more pressure on the centre of the cpu, and anti-clockwise to even the pressure out. Now, when i first fitted it i had the tension screw turned for more pressure and it was fine, never bsod etc, today i was rearranging the fans and thought id turn the pressure off to see if it made a difference and thats when it was bsod'n. Switched it back before to full on pressure and it booted fine, no bsod. So gonna test that out more tomorrow. But i'll get some bios screens took, really appreciate it if you could give me some pointers ;)

Cheers mate.

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
nb's, get those pics up and where get some setting's dialed in and hopefully get a nice 4ghz + oc ;),

as for your venum issues i'm not to sure to be honest, other than that i've heard of a few people having issues after using it on the tightest setting,
you could try re-seating the cpu and then try it again @ the loose setting :|.

ez.
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Cheers man, i'll do that :)

It was the loose setting when it started blue screening :/ When the pressure is off, you cant move the heatsink, but when the pressures on, it can be moved slightly. I even watched the thermalright instruction video on utube :D

But i appreciate you helping out man, would be cool. Just a steady 3.6 oc would do tbh, im not really into benching and pushing the cpu to see what it can go to anymore lol. As long as it helps get a few more fps out of games then im happy :D

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Have you disabled turbo? Thats given me a few extra crashes because I forgot to take it into account

if you've used s1156 before and you know what the chip can do.... not much we can say really :)

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
nb's bud,
iirc i had an issue with my phase cooler that sounds a little like your issue, basicly because the evap was concave it applied pressure to the edge of the cpu rather than the centre,
i could'nt even get my 860 past 4ghz cus it was so unstable, so in the end i slapped my koolance block on it instead and bam it hit over 4ghz with ease, and since then i've got my 860 upto 4.7 on water with 4c / 8t.

so i'd try a different cooler, even the stock cooler will do.

Posted Image

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
like k404 said turbo can cuase issues, also you might want to disable the following.

cpu speed spectrum = disabled.
pci speed spectrum = disabled.
C1E support = disabled.
intel ® speed step ™ tech = disabled.
intel ® c-state tech = disabled.

Posted Image

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Pretty sure turbo was disabled, i think :s

But those you listed ez were all disabled, i learnt that from overclocking on my x58 board.

Where it stands atm. Got about 4-5 bsod just after windows loaded this morning. Once i finally got to stay in windows i decided to try running linx at stock settings and see what happens. So far on 17th run, memory at ALL, problem size 17831. Highest temp of 54c.

Another thing i noticed. The backplate cutout on this mobo tray doesnt line up right with the socket at the back. So the backplate of the venomous is touching the mobo tray. Could that be causing a short? Im gonna run it out of the case once linx has finished and see if it still blue screens. If it doesnt, time to get the dremel out and make the backplate cutout larger :D

Cheers for the help lads!

Edit: Passed linx no probs:
Posted Image

Edit again:

Restarted pc and was bsod'n still. So took everything out of case and set it up on the "test bench", basically its a sheet of plexi that came with the blackops mobo :D. Fired it up and blue screening still :(. So, took off the heatsink, cleaned it all up and the cpu, reseated the cpu and cooler, fired it up and still blue screening!!

So, im wondering if this could be software related? I was messing around with video card drivers the other day and chipset drivers. So doin a clean install of windows ^^.

I forget what the bsod were, but i googled it and it said it could possibly be driver related, so fingers crossed the fresh install works!

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Ok clean install seems to have sorted out the bsod, touch wood. Havent had one yet so looks good :)

Heres some bios screenshots:

Business end of the bios.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Should anything be changed here in the uncore?
Posted Image

I think the impotant stuff here like turbo and c-states etc can be changed in the extreme tweaker.
Posted Image

If you need some more pics of the bios let me know. The pc is fine now, restarted a few times and no bsod. Hardware definately wasnt the cause of the bsod so it must of been one of the drivers i tried.

Mainly its the CPU PLL, IMC and PCH voltage im unsure of. Well the only ones im sure of are the vcore and ram settings tbh :/

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
CPU PLL doesn't need to be high. It seems to be mostly there to increase the heat in the CPU and nothing else :P Default is 1.80, but everything is still stable with it as low as 1.25v in some cases. Theres only a few boards that offer lower PLL options.

IMC should ideally be around 1.30v max for 24/7 on a 32nm chip. Ideally vDIMM should not be more than 0.5v above this value (like X58)

vPCH can improve BCLKing but keep it 1.25v max.... maybe less for 24/7. I've never seen any BCLK scaling past 1.25v, but it might be the board

I'm surprised you put up with the BSOD for that long :)

I had a GREEN screen of death the other day whilst benching. I didnt have a camera with me :(

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Cheers Kenny. I'll have a tinker with those voltages tomorrow.

The cpu is at 3.6 with 1.3 vcore atm, is that about right with these chips you think?

And the bsod's. It never occured to me that it might be software related, so just presumed it was something in the bios, even though i set it to defaults loads of times xD

A green screen of death:|. Never had one of those before! Are they worse than the blue ones lol?

Actually now i think of it, the only mobos ive had a bsod on has been the 3 Asus boards ive owned#-o. But im starting to like this mobo now, may even change my views on Asus stuff:D

But cheers though, im used to evga boards and the forums where people post up their bios templates, makes it easy for nabs like me to overclock stuff :D

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
waaayyyyy too much vCore for 3.6 :) Should do it at 1.2v or less

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Lol ok mate. I was told it was good as a starting point ^^. I'll drop it down then and see what happens :)

Btw will it make any difference temp wise or stabiltiy wise upping the multi and lowering the bclk? Right now bclk is 200 with 18 multi.

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
its usually easier to hit high RAM MHz at low BCLK because its less load on the IMC, but for I5/I3, BCLK is the only way to clock so... kinda short on options :)

200x21 should be fairly tasty for ya, RAM @ 1GHz if the IMC will do it. Might crap out ~950MHz though

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Well Kenny, i dont really wanna oc the ram, never have done tbh :D.

I might try and up the multi a few notches and see how i go, but im happy at 3.6ghz, sad i know, but its perfect for me, im just a gamer not a bencher, so dont need any crazy clocks really:D

Cheers for the info though, will come in handy if i ever get this under water ;)

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
it's not an overclock unless it reaches 4ghz fido, stop being a wimp and overclock it.

<3

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Don't apologise :P It's your computer :) 3.6GHz.... maybe even 1.15v ;)

Oh... try to use odd multis. I've not much effort into s1156, but for X58- odd multis are more stable with less voltage.

190x19? if the RAM is x5, that gives you 950MHz

or

171x21... RAM at 855MHz

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Lol Matt, its coz i iz scared :D

Ok Kenny cheers. I never heard that about the odd multis being more stable, i will check it out. I cant find the like ram ratio divider thing in the bios? It was there on my last few mobos where you can set it to like 2:8 or something like that, but on this, i cant see it :|

Aaron

Aaron

There's ALWAYS room for a quad rad!

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
Its possible its just a multiplier. On my mobo its set to x8 with a 200 BCLK giving me 1600mhz on RAM :)

Project 'S'

Cosmos S - i7 920 DO @ 4Ghz - Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GTX 275 - 6Gb OCZ Gold 1600Mhz
PA120.4 - XSPC DDCBAYTWO - HF Nickel - EK FB

I love chicken chargrills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users