Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Quick tec query...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 23 posts
Just a quicky :)

If i was to use a small (say 35w) tec to heat a big lump of ally (not to heat it from ambient, more to "keep" it warm), how could i deal with the cold side? I'm used to slapping a hsf onto the hot side of a unit, but i've never used one for heating before.

Cheers

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Just a quicky :)

If i was to use a small (say 35w) tec to heat a big lump of ally (not to heat it from ambient, more to "keep" it warm), how could i deal with the cold side? I'm used to slapping a hsf onto the hot side of a unit, but i've never used one for heating before.

Cheers

I'm not sure you'd have to do anything with the cold side - it would just get cold wouldn't it? If you're just using the TEC as a heating element though I would have thought there must be more energy efficient ways of going about it - a resistor in contact with the ally for example.
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 23 posts
Ahh, good point about the resistor, one of the chunky 50w units would be ideal for what i'm thinking of. I'm over thinking things as usual.

My concern about the tec is what happens once the cold side is iced over? Does it just get a larger and larger lump of ice? Or does the fact it's "blocked" prevent it from pumping heat?

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
Good point about the cold side - ironically I think you'd actually have to put a heat source against it to counteract that problem :D So yes, I think this is slightly over-engineering the solution.
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users