Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

First 400D Photos + HDR Attempts!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
Full gallery here

Posted Image
Chelmsford Cathedral 045.jpg by CraigWatson, on Flickr

Posted Image
Chelmsford Cathedral 047.jpg by CraigWatson, on Flickr

Posted Image
Chelmsford Cathedral 059.jpg by CraigWatson, on Flickr

Posted Image
Chelmsford Cathedral 020.jpg by CraigWatson, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_0052.jpg by CraigWatson, on Flickr

HDR Attempt 1:

Posted Image

HDR Attempt 2:

Posted Image

Not really sure I've got the hang of HDR yet but I've only had the camera two days :D

Constructive feedback appreciated :)
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
They look great to me!! :)

I really like the first HDR - but if it were me I would do two small things:

1/ A little bit of sharpening (most digital images benefit from some sharpening). If you have photoshop, use the unsharp mask under filters. That said, I know these are web optimised, so I'm not sure what your master copy sharpness is like.

2/ Crop that bit of bare ground out at the bottom of the image, it's slightly distracting and pulls your eyes away from the more interesting details.

Second HDR definitely is my favourite of the set. To finish it off I would rotate the content anti-clockwise by about five degrees so the content lines up with the edges of the photo. Maybe try it with arches cropped out too so you have more of square image with symmetrical content...the patterns on the ceiling are all about mirroring so I think it could work.

Like I said that's just what I'd do - they're great efforts, none of my HDRs ever seem to come out that well at all.
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Your shots are looking very good :)Im not sure if the 400D has the Exposure Bracketing function on it?

I also agree with Delgado, Except i'd Suggest Making the Horizon straight,but you might lose a little bit of the building.

Most of my Landscapes,be it urban or senic,most of them are Hdr's,but right now,im Shoting with film,So ones i develop the prints,i'll scan them and post them up :)

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
Cheers for the feedback :)

@H4V0C - Yep, the 400D has exposure bracketing, my HDR shots were done with -2/0/+2 with an automatic whitebalance for the 0 shot :)

I'm not that hot on composition at the moment but hopefully I'll improve fairly quickly - I've got a week in Yorkshire starting on Friday so I'll take the 400D and see what I can get, though it's more of a holiday than a photo trip :)
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Holidays are allways a Good excuse to take photos :P,Cheers for the infor back about the 400D,i might be coming across one as a back up,its good info:)

Might i suggest doing braketing in -1 0 +1 also,it will give your shots a little bit more tone in the shadows and highlights

And i would suggest if you get used to using the white balance in manual mode,sometimes your sensor can read wrong,and if your not shooting in Raw,your photos might be ruined if your unable to edit it:( its the worst feeling ive experienced in a while :(

My Biggest tip(personally found) For Hdr's and Landscape Photos. Always use a Tripod Where possible for hdr's,and use the shutter timer or a cable release :)

Delgado

Delgado

Frog

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
I'd also add always use a tripod where ever possible whatever type of photography you're doing - you'll rarely achieve the quality of image your equipment is capable of without one, however good the image stabilisation is. If you haven't bought a tripod yet, go for sturdy over portable every time. Most of us have a cheap flimsy one we bought when we started out because it seemed like it wouldn't matter, but they just aren't up to supporting heavy dslr equipment safely and vibration free - it's really better to save the cash and put it towards something more solid. Once you have a really sturdy 'proper' tripod you'll wonder how you took any pictures without it.
All arrays Chuck Norris declares are of infinite size, because Chuck Norris knows no bounds.

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I'd Totally agree with Delgado Except in the case of Portrait,or studio work.Unless your photographing something that you dont need to get odd angles.i guess you could use a Tripod to shoot portraits,but would take too long if you were doing a Shoot with a model.
Delgado would probably agree with me here,but when picking a Tripod,make sure it doesent have Leg supports,this mens the Manufacturer generally gives you the features where the legs can be put into a 90' position,which is really good for getting lower then most other tripods :)

but if your stuck,just ask:)

There should be some Photography help pages on here instead of Threads Giving endless amounts of Info :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users