Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

PAC-Man

PAC-Man

aka PierisC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Hehe, I'm not a big RTS fan. Only properly played Tiberian Sun, AOE and Company of Heroes.

Wgizmo

Wgizmo

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
I dont have time for sc2 now :( . In free time playing LOL or WOW. No mor time for more games.

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
I ordered it today from amazon for £24.99, going to i43 in august as byoc and thinking about entering the tournament so 4 months to practice. spoon how many hours play time am I going to need to put in to not end up just embarrassing myself(did badly enough at i42 in fifa and the fighting games).

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
I don't think you will have enough hours in the time left before i43 :P

On a more serious note, make sure you know the game inside out i.e. each race, each units and buildings. Apart from that you should ideally know the short-cuts to build units/buildings i.e. SCV, B,C/B or Drone B, H/S/D etc.

Then are the maps... you need to know them, not inside out but have knowledge where the resources are so you're in good position to expand/know where to look for your opponent.

Learn how to group units i.e. ALT1, ALT2 and refer to them groups as 1, 2. You should have binds for your most important buildings i.e. Hatchery, Command Centre, Nexus + buildings you produce units in + units itself.

Always send one of your Drones lets say to scout the map, always. Knowing where your enemy is/what he is up to is crucial.

Watch your unit count and make sure your production is not halted because you're waiting for an Overlord - for example.

Resources - you should always make sure they are low on the clock, more minerals/gas you have potentially less units you have and in case of an attack - less units to defend your base.

Cannons/Bunkers - always have at least one next to your main base/minerals - just in case something 'drops'

If you're starting on the cliff, you should ALWAYS protect the entrance. Block it with Supply Depots/put units on 'Hold' to stop any unwanted units sneaking through and making a mess of your workers/main base.

If you're playing as a Zerg, send Overlords out to scout the map, keep next to cliffs if playing against Terran though.

Watch your APM and always try to improve it, faster you are faster your enemy dies and you take control of the map.

Don't try to 'lock yourself' in your base/minerals - you will die very fast. Building 10 bunkers isn't very wise either, when resources are finished and you have no expansions you're dead man walking.

Play few games on the Battle.NET to get a feel what you expect i.e. what skill people are at and what they might potentially use again you. Remember that because it might become handy.

Pick your race, probably this should be at the very top of this list. You should always have ONE race that you will master to perfection, this doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to play all of then though.

Typical matchups in SC are - ZvZ, ZvP, ZvT, TvP. - T - Terran, Z - Zerg, P - Protoss.

You should always scout and figure out against which race are you playing asap. Adjusting your tactics as soon as you know is a must.

Units that can cloak can win your some games, make sure you always make them and vice versa - have protection against cloaked units otherwise 'gg no re' [Good Game No Replay]

Make sure you pay attention to the mini map, little 'red square' might mean LOTS of red squares next to your base once you discover that.

This should get you going, anymore questions just fire away.

My Blog => http://adriank.org

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
how long did it take you to write that little essay? :)

for the past hour I've been watching the video from i42 of the sc2 event(here), didn't go watch it live as it was held late and I was busy with fifa and fighting tournament(mvc2, ssf4 and mk9).

on amazon I have prime so free next day delivery which means I'll be getting the game today(as it's past midnight), which race is good for a noob(not played any sc before) to start off with?

CraigWatson

CraigWatson

Level 666

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
I'm a comparative SC2 noob, but having played AOE2: Conquerors quite a bit in past years as well as C&C: Tiberium Sun and Red Alert, I'm not that bad with RTS style games (much prefer them to FPS!).

After playing SC2 for a few months on-and-off, I'm playing my way through the campaigns - just got to the Odin broadcast mission (I'm sure Spoon will know this) - so I'm by no means an expert. My advice would be to play as Terran, this is the first "civ" you start with in the campaigns, so it's the one you'll be most familiar with if you play your way through the missions.

In terms of Terran units, Marines are your staple grunts, in groups of about 10 or more they're pretty deadly. You can build a Barracks with an attached Reactor to enable you to build 2 units at the same time - I like to have at least two barracks, one with a Reactor, one with a Tech Lab (which will allow you to train advanced units).

Once you get into the more advanced units, Siege Tanks are very good when you put them into Siege Mode, which makes them static but gives them a lot longer range so they can pre-empt most attacks on your base - or at least give you an early warning (if your Siege Tanks are firing, you know to ready your other troops).

Thors are basically heavily powered walkers, and they can do a hell of a lot of damage very quickly and they can also fire at air units.

Another pretty indispensable unit is the Medivac, which is an airbourne medic ship that can heal units on the ground - I usually find that a group of 2 or 3 Medivacs following an attack force makes it pretty difficult for the opposition to get at you - accompany the Medivacs with a few support ships like Ravens and Vikings to protect from ground/air attacks and you've got yourself a pretty decent foundation.

The way I tend to play SC2 is pre-emptive, so trying to match what you build against the opposition (Zerg like to attack in numbers, so either Firebats or Marines work well, etc) and build units that complement others (as above). As Spoon said, play a few Battle.NET games to get your eye in (don't worry if you lose a few) and play your way through the campaigns to get yourself used to the strategy.

A last note: from playing AoE, a strong economy is pretty crucial, so the first units I build are always SCVs, then start stockpiling Vespene gas for later units.
Poseidon | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS P8P67-Pro | HIS 6970 2GB IceQ Turbo | 120GB Vertex 3 | 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID0) | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 3 x Samsung 245B 24"

Atlantis | Xeon E3-1230 | 4GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR3 ECC | Supermicro X9SCA-F | 4 x 1TB Samsung F3 (RAID5) | LSI 9260-4i | VMware vSphere 5

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
I've played some of the c&c series, battle realms and the original total war shogun(bought it years back in a rts multi pack type thing with battle realms and settlers(can't remember which one), played a bit never got very far).

got the game installed, have created a battle.net account and in game character name(HaWkE) if you're looking for easy wins look out for me.

edit: have started playing through the single player, done the first 3 missions so far.

fowler002

fowler002

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
still playing through the main story, done 10 of the 25 missions but currently having problems with 2/3 of them.

have played 4 practice league online games, getting my rear handed to me in all but 1 game(in which the opponent left for some reason, I attacked him then he attacked me and then just left). not getting enough minierals to be able to build startports and what not plus units to attack/defend.

going to try a few vs a.i skimish games before wondering online again :)

edit: tried a couple games vs the a.i on normal but still getting thrashed :(
guess I better reconsider my tournament entry ar i43.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users