Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

965 C3 on MSI GD70 W/ 1600Mhz RAM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts
http://valid.canardp....php?id=1289686

CPU-Z link for all the specs I have there, any ideas on how to acchieve better performance out of my hardware? bit confused at my ram/speed + timings atm.

Fully watercooled pc, running at 35C atm, full load. Lots of headroom available :D

TheHowster

TheHowster

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
Will be Ocing mine shortly as Im continuining with the build now I have most of the case back. Ill let you know how I get on although I'm having problems at the moment.
Posted Image

Bex "Hitatchi are piles of unreliable runny poo!"

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
that 965 is looking pretty good m8, you should hit 4ghz with ease judging by your voltages @ the mo,

try oc'in the cpu by just upping the multiplier, this way your ram and n/b won't be oc'ed @ the same time allowing you to concentrate on just oc'in your cpu for now, when upping the cpu volts i found it best to up the cpu voltage not the cpu vdd voltage like others have adviced, the cpu vdd voltage is for fine tuning the cpu voltage but i found that it caused instability more than anything.

Posted Image

as for your ram it all depends on how good your imc is as well as your ram, if you've got a good imc then you should be able to hit 1800mhz with tightish timings with your nb around 2600- 2800mhz,
as for adjusting your ram just up the fsb/dram ratio till you have the frequency that you want, as for voltages your going to need to up the dram voltage a couple of knotches above the rated volts, you will also need to up the cpu/nb voltage a little as this will help stabililise your imc and help with oc'in your ram aswell as your nb.

Posted Image

try these setting's and see how you get on,

cpu@ 200 x 20- 1.45v (4ghz) if it's prime stable then try dropping v's down. or keep pushing depending on temps.
cpu/nb@ 2600mhz - nb volts 1.25v / cpu/nb volts 1.3volts. upping cpu/nb volts will drop added heat into the cpu so keep an eye on temps.
ram@ 1600mhz - with rated timings - dram volts a couple of knotches above rated.
ht@ 2000mhz

you should be able to run @ the above settings but you may need to up volts where needed. good luck.
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
Legend gonzo, cheers mate.

Will have a crack at that in a bit.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
http://valid.canardp....php?id=1290153

At 4Ghz now, still need to sort out the ram though... didn't boot last time.

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
looking good but i'd try just upping the multi and see how that goes, by using the multi you should be able to drop your volts a little + upping the fsb won't yield better performance,
i found that i needed more volts when oc'in via the fsb with my 965.

also whats your nb @?.

also the imc is rated @ 1333mhz so anything over that on your ram is classed as oc'in so you could try dropping your ram to 1333mhz @ rated timing's for now and see if that stabilizes your oc,

also with my gd70 it didnt like cold booting if the nb was over 2600mhz, they may have sorted it by now in one of the latest bios's but i'm not sure, you may have to find that out.
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
Ooh, sounds like a few bits to sort then. Got my ram in the blue slots atm, no real need to up the cpu speed now, 4ghz is ample for me. Will want to increase the ram speed though.

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
I'd also recommend disabling spread spectrum. I got an extra 80MHz from my old San Diego when I realised I'd forgotten to turn it off.
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
CPU at 4.2GHZ 24/7 now :D

increased loading speeds a fair bit, trying to keep the voltages low though. will post what I'm running at.

RAM tightening is the next step!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users