Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Applying tim. Which method do you use?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
Found this neat video. I always used the credit card method lol.

Seems that isnt the best way:blush:

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
depends on the tim mate :P I've reseated your GPU block and dropped temps 5c XD

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Lol. Which method did you use on the gpu block? I used the dredit card method on it and all my blocks:blush:

Cba to take them all off and redo them though:D

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
just a pea sized dob in the middle does it fine. replaced tim pads too :P

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Lol, i did put the tim pads on right though :D

I always thought it best to cover entire chip, now i know!

Elemental_Dragon

Elemental_Dragon

Always needs to be faster!!!

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
I would never spread TIM any more - after I lapped my QX9650 I learned just how uneven cPU's are - by spreading flat you risk an uneven mount - it's better to let the block spread the tim so it's true even between surfaces

dot or line across the cores - even lay block on top - apply light pressure and rotate 45-90 degrees in each direction and return to normal mounting position and then screw in / push pins through at diagonals

Some chips benifit from X technique but really it depends... (Cpu's I prefer line technique across the cores as it's better - different rotation for different cores)

~Bex
PERSONAL BESTS : E8600 @ 4.8GHz <thumb> E6750 @ 4GHz <thumb> QX9650 @ 4.4GHz<thumb> I7 920 @ 4.6GHz!

Skorchio : "when you turn that on your log on to windows sound should be "Hello ladies and gentelmen thank you for choosing elemental airways, we are now cruising at 36,000 feet""

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
http://benchmarkrevi...d=150&Itemid=62

Read the relevant pages of this.
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

msimon

msimon

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
i always do the pea sized dot in the middle and i get best out of that, i did do the line with my old Q9550 and the dot in the middle was best when i found my EK HF under performing, im sure some of you remember that post about my water block underperforming by 5 to 10c and couldn't understand it and also the line was spreading very it just fell to the bottom off the cpu but now i use the dot in the middle and now i get perfect results almost every time.

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Gonna re-seat my cpu block soon and see if it makes any difference. I'll try the x method :)

Elemental_Dragon

Elemental_Dragon

Always needs to be faster!!!

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
How were your results?

~Bex
PERSONAL BESTS : E8600 @ 4.8GHz <thumb> E6750 @ 4GHz <thumb> QX9650 @ 4.4GHz<thumb> I7 920 @ 4.6GHz!

Skorchio : "when you turn that on your log on to windows sound should be "Hello ladies and gentelmen thank you for choosing elemental airways, we are now cruising at 36,000 feet""

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
I didnt bother reseating it lol. Tbh my temps are fine, but i will change my method though when i get a new block, but this builds taking forever i just want it finished. Sick of stuff lying around and not having a finished rig!

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i have always done the pea sized dot in centre of cpu (more like half a grain of rice), then when seating the block i just give it a few turns left and right applying even pressure across the block, then tighten it down,
i've always found this method produces the most consistent temps + it's quick and simple especially if your constantly swapping out cpu's.
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I use Liquid Metal Pads but I'm not even sure I've done that right!

Gooders

Gooders

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Bit worried about saying this but i always used to just put a bit of paste (-1mm)at the end of the syringe and then just dab it over the CPU till there was a almost see thro film on it, looked like an iced cake before its smoothed, but looking at that i too have been wrong all this time, while i think of it, the small hole in the bottom left of the cpu should one fill this hole with paste or leave it empty and let it spread were it does? dont ask dont know :)

Keep It Cool-Water Cooled

http://www.brgdevelopments.co.uk

@brgdevelopments

K404

K404

KennyC

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
Bigger lump in the middle, small dots towards the outside. Block always gets twisted a bit during installation and the heat spreads the TIM :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users