Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Good Evening! May I present...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
...me!

I've just joined the forum, in the hopes that any (usually silly) questions I may have over the next 6 months or so will be answerable by the collective knowlege of it's inhabitants...

I'm currently working on my new PC, my second one since I started building them myself almost 3 years ago. I know some people move form one project on to another, but it was expensive and it's still running happily to this day...:D

It started off in September 2007 when attempting to do some video editing on my computer for a friend, when I started getting unbelievably frustrated by the time it was taking to do anything. I had a fair idea about computers, and decided I needed some more RAM to give it more breathing space. It was at this point (when I went into a shop...) I discovered there was an awful lot of types of memory...

So, I began researching to find out exactly what I needed, and the more I read the more I began to think that maybe an upgrade wasn't the solution... My computer used DDR RAM, which was now becoming quite expensive due to DDR2. Despite the fact that I'd bought my new Vectra the month before, I decided I would build my own one from scratch. (Computer, not Vectra....)

Initially I concentrated on the main components and the Operating System, and read through a million magazines (mainly Custom PC...) and online reviews to decide what the best was I could afford. After a few weeks of study, I ordered my components and then set about building it.

I was suprised to discover just how simple it was, and compared to the prices in the major stores it wasn't that expensive. This is when it becomes clear that the market isn't really there when you can build them yourself, unlike laptops. You have to buy a laptop (realistically) in the shops, so there's much more of a competitive market...

My study further revealed to me the art of water-cooling and PC modding, and my mind set to work on how to accomplish something impressive that would feed my creative hunger... This is why I used to love lego I think - I enjoy building things and doing stuff with my hands...

Initial experiments with water-cooling proved useful, although I wouldn't fully adopt it for another 6 months or so due to my original case just not being anywhere near big enough to do what I wanted. After various component upgrades and system tweaks, I have now wired and plumbed everything into place, and for now the project is finished. I never have gotten round to tidying up the wiring properly, but it does run quite happily without any of the cooling fans on purely because of the volume of fluid acting as a giant heatsink...:D

Specs:

Case: Silverstone TJ07 Black with Window
Motherboard: Asus Blitz Formula LGA775
CPU: Intel Core 2 E8400 3.0GHz overclocked to 3.8GHz
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator 8500 DDR2
Graphics: Nvidia 9600GT factory overclocked
Hard Drives: Total 1.5TB with space for two more

Water-cooled CPU, Northbridge and graphics

Screen on the front displays almost anything you want, from CPU temps and speed to a news feed...

Second reservoir on the front has a UV LED in it to light up the fluid, but it's not very bright...

Behold...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As this is still running fine, I'm in no hurry with my new one, and won't even select the components till I've finished with the case. I was hoping to get all the modding and painting etc done at WCUK, but the shop still appears closed for those services at the moment...

So far, the main component I've got is this:

Posted Image

Not the 800D - my reasons being that I'll be making my own side window anyway to show what I want, and I don't need the hot-swappable drives anyway...

Once I start getting the other components delivered and decide on a final design, I shall add a project log...

Bitspower fitting, here I come...<dance1>

Wgizmo

Wgizmo

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
Your build looks nice and its orginal :), gl with new one.

LoudonM

LoudonM

WCUK Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,344 posts
Hey mate, welcome to the forum. GL with the new build.

mark.jpg

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
bloody hell,your TJ07 looks brilliant,i would be happy with that.You new build is going to be special to beat that.Good luck.;)

Andy

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Your build looks nice and its orginal :), gl with new one.

Hey mate, welcome to the forum. GL with the new build.

Cheers fellas, I think I managed to find the only 2 140.1 radiators in the country today...:D

bloody hell,your TJ07 looks brilliant,i would be happy with that.You new build is going to be special to beat that.Good luck.;)

Andy

Like most things, it started out as simply building the ocmputer, but then after finding out more about the modding side of things and the like it became more about the case and the cooling than the hardware...

It's the same with this - everytime I read through another thread on here, or bit-tech, or overclockers etc, I come up with new things I want to do to it. I'm not even going to think about the hardware till the rest of the case is finished later in the year as it'll all have changed by then with who knows what available to buy. It WILL have an SSD though as the main system drive, of that much I'm certain. I'm looking at blu-ray slot drives too so I can mount that somewhere else and have the whole fron of the case free for showing stuff...

If anyone's seen MNPC's Hardware Canucks mod, I'll be taking a few hints and styling tips from that...;)

(PS: anyone else think that smiley above just looks like someone with a squint...:-s?)

Skorchio

Skorchio

How much can i fit in this space, ow i can fit loads in this spa

• Members
  • 3,167 posts
Welcome mate, nice TJ 07 :)

I was looking at this case for the next project. Great minds think alike ay :)

Squirrel-666

Squirrel-666

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
oi pnefold you trouble maker haha lol nice rig mate should ask a mod to move it to worklog section if your gonna be doing a build log looking sweet though in the tj07 :D
may i ask y the hell there is a tiki tki type of wooden model on the second to last pic on the right hand side i was like WWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAT the hell lol
Posted Image

Posted Image

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

oi pnefold you trouble maker haha lol nice rig mate should ask a mod to move it to worklog section if your gonna be doing a build log looking sweet though in the tj07 :D
may i ask y the hell there is a tiki tki type of wooden model on the second to last pic on the right hand side i was like WWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAT the hell lol

Me? Trouble? Never...:D

If I decide to actually do a proper log I'll start a new thread. At the moment it's still very much in my head as to exactly what I want to do. I've got a few components to help me find out clearences etc and to see what is actually possible, but once I get something done I'll be sure to get some photos...

Oh, and the wooden nose is to put a pair of glasses on so you don't lose them...:D

Squirrel-666

Squirrel-666

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
well heres an idea for ya
WATERCOOLING
but yea keep them ideas flowing so when its time you can crack on and get it all sorted and get them lovely pics up

o thats what thats for nice :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

well heres an idea for ya
WATERCOOLING
but yea keep them ideas flowing so when its time you can crack on and get it all sorted and get them lovely pics up

My main problem is that I've got ideas for what I want certain bits to look like, but trying to fit them in the rest of the components and the case is proving tricky...

Still, I fix planes for a living so a few bits of pipework and plumbing shouldn't be a problem...:D

Bitspower are going to make a fortune off me though...:D

ezgonzo

ezgonzo

Level 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
liking the tg 07 looks very original with that beast of a res,
i've always been a fan of blue, it makes me weak @ the knee's :D.

i will have to be keeping my eye out for your new build log as i'm sure that it's going to be a quality build,

good luck and keep posting the pics.
I7 860 @ 4.4GHZ 24/7, 4.65GHZ BENCHED FOR NOW / GIGABYTE P55A-UD6 / 4GB G-SKILL RIPJAWS 2000MHZ / PATRIOT 32GB SSD / XFX 4870X2 + EK FULLCOVER BLOCK. SILVER V2000.

I5 670 (ES) @ 4.0GHZ 24/7, 5GHZ BENCHING / EVGA P55 FTW / 2GB SUPER TALENT 2OOOMHZ / SAM F1 320GB (OS) / SAM F1 1TB / zotac 9800GTX +. BLACK V2000.
Posted Image

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

liking the tg 07 looks very original with that beast of a res,
i've always been a fan of blue, it makes me weak @ the knee's :D.

i will have to be keeping my eye out for your new build log as i'm sure that it's going to be a quality build,

good luck and keep posting the pics.

Cheers mate - the res is the first thing people notice about it and it certainly does it's job of standing out...

Also makes filling and draining very easy as it's the highest point in the system, and provides a huge amount of pressure for the pump which is right at the bottom. New project has 3 reservoirs at the moment, as I have lots of ideas and designs that I'm trying to combine into a single system...:D

Wgizmo

Wgizmo

Level 8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
share with us please some of them :)

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

share with us please some of them :)

When the time is right...:cool:

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Just a small update - been collecting a few bits to help me with the design and measurements etc. I think I've got the design sorted in my head, which was tricky as there are a lot of things I want to include in it with only a certain amount of space...:D
Here's what I've got so far...
Posted Image

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
3 reservoirs? :S

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

3 reservoirs? :S

I know - it'll make sense when it's finished...:D

As I said - there's lots of things I wanted to incorporate into the design of the plumbing...

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
you're gonna need a lot of head pressure from your pumps.

Penfold101

Penfold101

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

you're gonna need a lot of head pressure from your pumps.

I think that each system will be ok to be honest - they won't be going round that many components. It'll look like there's a lot of pipework but because of it being 2 seperate loops it should run ok.

My current rig runs off one Laing DDC at the bottom of the case and the fluid goes back up to the top radiator, back to the bottom, then back up tot he reservoir again and it's been running fine for a couple of years now. Having the top reservoir above all the other components may help that though by providing it's own heada pressure.

I did consider having 1 loop with the dual pump top as the gains to be had from that are alomst double a single pump, but I've gone for two for now. If it doesn't work I can always change it in the future...

Flow rates won't be the best as there'll be a lot of bends and angles, but it's more for show than actual cooling so it's not a major concern...:D

underdog

underdog

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Must say very nice work indeed. Only 1 draw back I can think in terms of your rig is the alphacool lcd. (kidding) Only said it because I have the one bay version and have bsod issues cause alphacool still haven`t written drivers for windows 7 ultimate. All jokes aside that is one serious rig you got there. Nice 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users