Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Overclocking issue - motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CaptainQwerty

CaptainQwerty

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hello everyone,

Spec:
Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16ghz
8Ghz of OCZ Reaper PC2 9200
Asus P5Q PRO Turbo
Palit GTX260 Sonic Overclocked
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I was running a stable overclock on this system of 4Ghz.

After about of month of use I had about 2 BSOD's in a week where in the log there was 3 critical errors in a row both times.
Posted Image

Then about a week later Windows updates and as soon as they finished installing my machine BSOD'd and wouldn't boot with the overclock on it would get to "Starting Windows" and not do the orbs.

I took the clock off got in fine.

My machine wouldn't post at all with my 4ghz clock then I rolled it back to stock and used the machine for a few days before going back to it.

Started trying to work my way up to 4ghz after changing volts to NB I got it to post with the clock on but with no matter what size clock it would get stuck at "Starting Windows..." so I tried safe mode and that gets stuck at
Classpnp.sys

I took the clock off tried to get into safe mode and it gets stuck on Classpnp.sys (but I can get into normal windows lol)

Last night I took all my ram out but one stick and got it into windows with 4ghz overclock long storey short, any sticks of my OCZ in any memory bank works as long as I don't put all 8gb so 6gb was in.

Last night 4ghz overclock 6gb of RAM, stability tested it seemed fine, CPU went a few degree's hotter than usual played battlefield till 2 in the morning then tried to change my background and the PC froze.

I just switched it off and went to bed.

This morning the board reset the BIOS for me and now with the clock on and 6gb of my ram it locks up trying to log in.

Have I damaged the board do we think? Or bad install with the O/s as I seem to have a fair few things crash.
Skype, Firefox sometimes crashes and closes it self with it's own debugging thing quiet alot.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Board is only about 2 month old as well so may have to RMA it or something if it's buggered lol

CaptainQwerty.

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
Plonk this on a floppy/USB. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Put in all 4 sticks of memory and bring them up to rated speed, downclocking CPU if necessary.
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

CaptainQwerty

CaptainQwerty

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
thank you, once I've got a few suggestions here I will try them all tonight for something to do :)

Cheers, Jacka.

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
What voltage had you been using on the CPU, and for how long?
I like sausages, biscuits and beer, but not at the same time, that would be weird
Posted Image

CaptainQwerty

CaptainQwerty

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
it was running stable at 1.30000v on my old board for ooooo months close to 6 months then after I built my rig in the cosmos case with the watercooling that board died so then ran the cpu on that volts on the p5q or maybe 1.3175 I think.

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
Shouldn't be a problem there then.
Posted Image

CaptainQwerty

CaptainQwerty

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I didn't give the NB any extra volts so hopefully it didn't just stress its balls out with no power behind what it was trying to do.

grishenko45

grishenko45

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OC'ing with all 4 DIMMs populated is always tricky business. Was your OC stable in XP/Vista b4 u upgraded to 7? As people on other forums have noticed they've had to re-stabilise their OC in 7 coz it wasn't stable anymore after the upgrade!

what are your other voltages? my mate had a problem with a C2D n asus mobo, that froze every so often - after i'd looked at it for a bit, turned out to be a motherboard voltage issue, which i fixed by testing with different voltages.

It doesn't matter what you water cool - it becomes extreme!

CaptainQwerty

CaptainQwerty

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hello - old topic mate but thanks for the post.

I never had the clock on Xp/Vista this is a build I've had and clocked on 7. The windows update I mentioned was not the entire O/s just an update. It doesn't work with any volts in almost any combination. The clock was stable for ages then that update downloaded, installed it BSOD'ed and now it only works if I use mental volts, anything less or any other settings and it will just not get fully into Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users