Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

First setup

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm putting together a shopping list for my first w/c setup and wanted some suggestions.
I'm thinking of using:

• A PA120.2 in the front of my case,
  • An XSPC Single Bay Pump + Reservoir in a bay above it,
  • An EK Supreme LT Intel for the CPU block.
Will this be enough for my rather warm i7?

Now comes the part that really confuses me. The fittings. Can I just get "2 X 1/2" Highflow Hose Tail" on everything and be fine?

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

I'm putting together a shopping list for my first w/c setup and wanted some suggestions.
I'm thinking of using:

• A PA120.2 in the front of my case,
  • An XSPC Single Bay Pump + Reservoir in a bay above it,
  • An EK Supreme LT Intel for the CPU block.
Will this be enough for my rather warm i7?

Now comes the part that really confuses me. The fittings. Can I just get "2 X 1/2" Highflow Hose Tail" on everything and be fine?

if you ask for barbs with everything you buy you should be fine mate
120.2 should be fine for the i7
dont forget fans

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade from the 1000rpm fans in the case to pull plenty of air though that rad. What sort of CFM should I be looking for?

Are barbs those Hose Tails? What type of clips should I be using with those? PVC or metal?

andybones12

andybones12

Level 10

• Members
  • 4,147 posts
to be honest,you would be better off with compression fittings.Much neater and easier to install.Plus you don't have the ugly clips to hold them on.
http://www.watercool...raight38-1l.jpg

Andy

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay so I select "2 X 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - Thermochill" on everything instead?
Are they more secure than barbs with clips?

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
MUCH more secure, you can tighten them completely and virtually never have that hose come off.

1/2 - 3/4 is the largest hose size around, I have it myself, looks really nice :)

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
Compression fittings are for the posh people ;)

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thank you so much for your help :)
What sort of length of tubing am I going to need to hook these up in a Lian Li v351b?

H4V0C

H4V0C

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
It all depends where your going to be mounting the gear mate.just use your noggin,and have a little think,but in that case,your not talking alot,if your smart with measring and cutting,i'd say a meter would do,but theres no harm in having more then you need,especially if this is your first build

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
A couple of meters should be ample for a single cpu loop

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Will coils be needed for hose like this?
http://www.watercool...Hose-1m_25.html

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
honestly considering that's the case you're using, I don't think you'll get a pa120.2 in there. You'd have to use a much smaller radiator with end fittings due to size limitations. You'll notice there's a large gap between the fans, most radiators have a 15mm spacing between fans, this is more of a 25/30mm space. Would be very hard to plumb this loop without kinks. Considering the space limitations here, I'd use 3/8/ 5/8 hose and respective coils for bend radius (to reduce chance of hose collapsing)

have you thought of how you'll be mounting the pump/reservoir yet? c ause there's going to be minimal room from the back of the drive bay to the back of the case by the looks of that image.

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It's hard to explain how I was thinking of mounting the res. I don't know if you've seen the case before but the CD bays go all the way from one side to the other so I was going to put the res sort of in the middle where you can't see it from either side. With the inlet and outlet pointing at the side that the CPU is on. Now that I've thought about that it will make it impossible to fill so I'm going to have to have a rethink.

I'll try and do a sketchup of everything before I order anything.

I was not aware of the larger gap on this radiator. Thanks for the advice. I'll look at other projects that have used this case to find one that will definitely fit.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
you're welcome for the info, it's always best to troubleshoot before you waste £400 on parts you can't use :)

just been having a look about myself, there are still some of the http://www.watercool...-245mm_913.html in stock in WCUK. These seem to match the fan spacings on that case. may be your solution?

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
done a drawing for you, will upload and edit this post.

Posted Image
Red is your radiator, Orange is your CPU block, Green is the pump (mounted to side of drive bays), purple is a fill port. The blue lines are hose routing points.

Disclaimer : This may not fit, it isn't accurate, it was done in paint. Just my idea of how to lay it out.

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Oops I didn't realise there was different versions of it. That was the one I was talking about. The other one is 285mm but the case is 277mm if I remember correctly.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
There's 2 spacings of the PA series radiators :) The older versions were 24.5mm, they since changed to 15mm to match the rest of the market.

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ahh right that should make it small enough to fit in my case then.

The radiator will have to go the other way round as I've got a full length GTX260 in there that splits the case in two. There's also no space where you've put the pump because of the hard drives. And there's no space on the roof of the case on the CPU side because of the 850W modular power supply.

Mattmc91

Mattmc91

Level OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 3,540 posts
you don't "need need" that rear fan for the hard drive bay area, possibly put the pump there?

this is probably one of the hardest cases for a beginning watercooler.

GallaUK

GallaUK

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I think we're making progress :) The help and ideas are much appreciated by the way.

If I put some slack on the tubing and put the bay res in the left side of the case I should be able to pull it out to fill it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users