Welcome to WatercoolingUK Community Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Network security probs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
Hi.

Got my htpc all finished today, installed vista (for now!!) but im having some probs regarding my network security. Im a total noob a t networks so bear with me:p

Heres how i have it all set up atm. Virgin router ethernet is plugged into my netgear wireless g and my main pc and htpc plugged into the wireless g.

Heres the problem though. As my Sky will be going off this weekend i thought it best to get the gf's laptop connected to the virgin wireless. So when i checked through available networks the virgin showed up, thing is its unsecure:o. I tried the routerlogin thing and messsed around there, but it still shows up unsecure. As i said im a complete noob at this so any one who can help me gets +100,000,000 rep points:D

Cheers!

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
You have to enable wep and make a authentication key and then use that as a passkey

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Ok, so how do i enable wep lol?

In the routerlogin page?

No matters found thanks dazza ;)

Rep left ;)

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Do i need to reboot router as its still showing up unsecure :/?

skyripper

skyripper

Level 6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
You've got a virgin cable modem plugged into your netgear wireless router? All fairly standard. If you've enabled WEP and restarted your router and its still showing as unsecure, could it be a neighbours you are detecting?

Aaron

Aaron

There's ALWAYS room for a quad rad!

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

You've got a virgin cable modem plugged into your netgear wireless router? All fairly standard. If you've enabled WEP and restarted your router and its still showing as unsecure, could it be a neighbours you are detecting?

Would be quite funny if he "secures" a neighbours wireless. :D

Should find a page like below under "wireless settings"

Posted Image

Change it to WEP and give yourself a password. Hit apply and it should work straight away.

Also will be worth you changing the login password for the router...as most are one of a few possibilities and easily guessed

Project 'S'

Cosmos S - i7 920 DO @ 4Ghz - Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GTX 275 - 6Gb OCZ Gold 1600Mhz
PA120.4 - XSPC DDCBAYTWO - HF Nickel - EK FB

I love chicken chargrills

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Wasnt my neighbours lol, im not that much of a noob:p But would of been funny if i hacked a neighbours net, not that i condone that sort of stuff *ahem*:)

Anyway its sorted now. In the available networks it was showing up as 'virgin'. I forgot to enable SSID broadcast and when i enabled it in the network list it showed up as my network name secured :)

Thanks for your help;)

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Do *not* use WEP -- seriously insecure.

Use WPA at a minimum with a strong alphanumeric passphrase, disable SSID broadcast and if you're seriously paranoid allow only trusted MAC clients to connect to your router/access point.
Posted Image

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
And don't forget the tin foil hat :)

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

And don't forget the tin foil hat :smile:

Lol. Image in my head of jude law and the kids from Signs movie now:D

Dunc i think i leave it on wep for now, seriously doubt theres anyone capapble of hacking into my network round here:D

dazza

dazza

Oh Hai!

• Members
  • 2,083 posts

Lol. Image in my head of jude law and the kids from Signs movie now:grin:

It was Joaquin Phoenix not jude law ;) :blush: but it was a good film anyway

fido

fido

Level 9

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
So it was lol, they look similar mind :)

Yeh was a good film:cool:

digitaldunc

digitaldunc

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Dunc i think i leave it on wep for now, seriously doubt theres anyone capapble of hacking into my network round here:D

Obviously that's your prerogative but I think of it akin to leaving your front door key under your doormat. From wikipedia --

In 2005, a group from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation gave a demonstration where they cracked a WEP-protected network in 3 minutes using publicly available tools.

If your access point was made in the last 4 years or so it's almost guaranteed to support WPA encryption, so why not make use of it?
Posted Image

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
As already said above WEP is pants, script kiddie tools do that in 10 minutes.

WPA2 with 256bit AES encryption is the way forward.

My Blog => http://adriank.org

ericappla

ericappla

Level 7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

As already said above WEP is pants, script kiddie tools do that in 10 minutes.

WPA2 with 256bit AES encryption is the way forward.

+1 on security but watch out for performance, lot of routers performance just die when using WPA2 with 256bit AES because they don't have strong enough CPU

Jacka

Jacka

Level 10

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
The performance will depend on how many people are connected to it.
I'd say most routers would be able to run at their rated speed with a reasonable number of people connected.
My low-mid range Netgear router is fine for 100Mbps transfers with an additional 6 wifi connections on WPA2.

TranquilHegemeny

TranquilHegemeny

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Just disabling broadcast of the SSID is a good start to securing the WiFi. That and changing the default name. WPA is obviously good stuff. Sometimes people get put off because the encryption chews up the performance of the network. In that case, I'd step back and decide whats most important: copper cables will be faster AND secure (they just arnt as neat).

doctorglide

doctorglide

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yeah do not use WEP at all, takes me 3 mins max to crack it on my router. And for the allowed MAC address list, some one can spoof the MAC address to match the one on your pc and join the network.
RIG!

Antec Twelve Hundred:cool:
IntelCore i7 920
Samsung SpinPoint 1TB
Asus P6T
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT:blush:
Samung sync master
3GB corsair DDR3 ram 1600mhz
OCZ 1KiloWatt PSU:cool:

spoon

spoon

Level 10

• Members
  • 5,077 posts

Some one can spoof the MAC address to match the one on your pc and join the network.

Its called mitm or arp cache poisoning but you knew that already, didn't you? ;)

My Blog => http://adriank.org

Bandyquill

Bandyquill

Level 9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
we use a certificate at home through a smoothwall box, then to the tinterweb... pretty secure :)

"Put the parts back in the box and return to dealer. You're too dumb to mod"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users